New member with some questions

B

bigtmiller

First off hello to everyone. I have been flyfising for about 10 years. I am from Perry County. I have been away from PA for about 8 years, living in exotic places like Minnesota - great fishing for Walleye and smallmouth, and Iowa - No fishing except for the NorthEast corner. Well I now work for a company based out of Arnold PA, just north of Pittsburgh on 28. Well I brought my fly fishing stuff, but I have no idea where to go to fish. Can anyone help me out, tell me where the closest, best, place to fish is. Co-workers have mentioned Deer Creek, Buffalo creek, but they are not sure where to go on each stream and if they are viable summer time trout waters. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking for Trout fishing.

Thanks,

Tom

Welcome to the message board. I would guess neither of the streams you mentioned would be very good this time of year. If no one helps directly with stream suggestions, I'll make some of my own when I have a few more minutes.

a great place to start is the Fish commission website http://fish.state.pa.us they have county maps that show the streams and they also have lists of stocked water, approved trout water, wild trout waters and special regulation areas.

thanks for the info. What would be the best stream in this area to catch some trout? Loyalhanna, slip rock?

also where is the best fly shop in this area?

Thanks,

Tom

BTM- not sure if it is the best shop but International Angler is very nearby. Google for directions.. they should be able to give you much insight.

501 Freeport Road
Aspinwall, PA 15212
Tel: 412-782-2222

All the streams you mentioned may have trout but they are marginal in the sense that they are probably to warm to fish for trout right now. Come Oct. they will get stockings.

You have arrived in the land of long car rides for viable summer trout fishing. Check the links in the upper left side of this site for shops etc... You can check the PA Fish and Boat Commission website for a county listing of trout streams etc...(as mentioned)

Fayette,Somerset and Westmoreland Co.'s all have smaller mountain streams that still can be fished. - I am not a small stream fisherman so I can't help there. Warm water fishing abounds in the area if your into to that. Again, I am not really a warmwater fisherman so can't help much there. The Allegheny is probably the best of the big three rivers.

In July and August I fish the Yough below Confluence and Central PA limestone waters.

Start googling... Good luck.

I typed in a long reply about Perry County fishing... then realized that's where your FROM not where you are now! Oy... well, welcome to the forum, and I am sure you'll get some good advice.

There's a shop in Lower Burrell also, The Contented Angler, I'll post a link when I get a chance later. If you want to fish let me know, I work in Lower Burrell, and know Arnold/New Ken well. I'll PM you when I get home, lunch is almost over.

JH

bigtmiller,

Here's that link I mentioned, Contented Angler. The owners names are Joe & Amy, very nice people who will put you on trout in the area.

JH

Back