New board member

C

clc

Hay all I'm new to this forum but not exactly new to fly fishing. I did a lot when I was young and kind of fell out of it over the years so I'll be rusty. I was raised in Boiling Springs so I know the yellow breaches well. Also I don't have any gear and will have to get an all new setup. Are the Bass Pro rod, real and line combos for around $90 a good deal? Do you think a 4 wt would work out well for me? I've always loved ultra light gear so that what in shooting for.

Welcome.

4wt is a winner. The Bass Pro combos are not going to be exactly ultra light. In FF light usually = $.

I don't know the water you're talking about, but I believe a 4wt would be just dandy for most trout streams and creeks. YMMV.

Don't get suckered into a ton of cash for equipment, though. You can have a grand old time with low cost stuff. My beater rod is a $20 Eagle Claw from Walmart with a $15 reel, and it works pretty damned well.

gfen wrote:
Don't get suckered into a ton of cash for equipment, though. You can have a grand old time with low cost stuff. My beater rod is a $20 Eagle Claw from Walmart with a $15 reel, and it works pretty damned well.

They carry those at the Walmart in Carlisle, for sure. Welcome to the board. You're in a pretty good part of the state for FF'ing, that's for sure.

Boyer

I have the Bass Pro combo, I think it's the one up, for like 115ish. I fish it ALL the time, it's a 6wt 8'6'' and it's my go to rod (simply because I don't have a 4wt). That being said, I really like it. It gets the job done and fishes well and it's not expensive.

It's definitely not a light rod. If you're coming back to FF after some time what might be considered heavy by today's standards might be light by older standards.

Ask to cast it before you buy it. They should let you.

I just assumed by "light" he meant "comparable to an ultralight action," not "doesn't weigh very much." Granted, they're similar, but different.

FWIW, the generic answer is 5 is "standard," and 000-3wt are "ultralight." That means 4 is "light," but honestly, if you're getting back into it, don't compromise with a 3wt or lighter until you've gotten things at a good place with a capable rod, and that means 4, 5, or 6.

Yeah, I'd go with 4/5 wt. to start. Definitely wouldn't spend too much til you get some time in and know exactly what you want. Welcome!

Welcome aboard.
Good advice re: a 4 or 5 wt.Just get a good line,not high end mid price would be my advice.GG

Try to talk to the guys at YBO..they carry echo series rods and might do something to help you out with a reel...or put the money into the rod and just on ebay/craiglist and pick up a starter real...medalist...heck..someone on here might set you up for a few bucks...

Boss

Thanks for all the help. Im really lucky because my parents live withing walking distance from the breaches and my family grew up in Erie in the heart of steelhead ally and have a place to stay anytime. Shoot my girlfriends sister lives in DE not far from the ocean and hope to get some time in this summer. After thinking about it i get more excited about this season and want to try some new areas and get my canoe moored at Pinchot this summer.

clc wrote:
Thanks for all the help. Im really lucky because my parents live withing walking distance from the breaches and my family grew up in Erie in the heart of steelhead ally and have a place to stay anytime. Shoot my girlfriends sister lives in DE not far from the ocean and hope to get some time in this summer. After thinking about it i get more excited about this season and want to try some new areas and get my canoe moored at Pinchot this summer.

You gonna need more rods. :lol:

7' 4wt for small streams
9' 5 wt for breeches
10' 7wt for steel
9' 9wt for ocean

That's just the start lol.

Back