New Water, Plan B, and Revenge.....

streamerguy

streamerguy

Because of all the rain we have been receiving my original plans got all screwed up, so instead I decided to take advantage of the high water and search for some wild brown trout.

The first stream I fished has been on my list for quite some time. I fished it once briefly last year on the way back from another nearby stream, and got skunked(though I did lose a small fish, maybe a chub) but other than that I haven't put any effort into it until today. Upon arriving to the stream the conditions couldn't have been any better to sling some streamers. The stream started out extremely brushy, then opened up a bit with a few interesting side channels, and farther upstream it became a little wider and transitioned into more of a wooded mountain stream feel. Other than a few sections it certainly didn't lack habitat. Lots of woody debris and I was constantly awaiting the moment when fish would dart out from under a log and slam my fly. Other than seeing one fish flash, there was no other action despite the great conditions. As always it's a great time fishing new water. Sometimes you come across a dud, and other times you find a new favorite. Not sure if this stream's a dud or not.......but I'll most likely give it one more shot.

IMG_1462_zps4d6eb825.jpg

IMG_1459_zpsfdbf3241.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsf939b165.jpg

After a break for lunch I decided to hit up a backup stream to hopefully wipe off the skunk before making the trek back home. Caught a couple stockies right off the bat to save the day then it was time to hunt for a few wild fish on a different stretch. On this visit I was after one fish in particular, which I lost a few weeks ago. It wasn't a monster by any means, but the fact that I lost it right at my feet, had yellows and golds glowing through the water, and seemed to fight better than any other brown I've caught of it's size made it special. I carefully dissected the hole where he resided and eventually felt a tug. I knew it was him. After a spirited fight I had him in the net. Glancing at him in the net there was nothing really out of the ordinary, I've caught many others just like it, but like I said for some reason there was something special about this fish. Not 100% sure it's the same exact fish as the one I lost, but I'm willing to bet chances are good that it is.

IMG_1466_zps2d942d53.jpg

After the release I decided to start working my way upstream, and not ten minutes later I get snagged up on the bottom..........or did I. For the first couple seconds it felt like I was bringing in a big stick, but then gears shifted and all of a sudden I saw a big brown at the end of my line! After a great battle on the 3wt I managed to get him in the net. A beautiful wild brown I'm guessing around 18-19in, and so far my personal best for this stream. Good way to cap off the day!

IMG_1472_zpsfbd7f2b2.jpg

IMG_1476_zps122af130.jpg

I don't usually post about specific trips on here, but for some reason I was in the mood to share today's adventure. Dealt with a little bit of snow flurries in the morning along with a tad bit of ice on the guides, but other than that it was a nice day to be on the water.

the second shot could pass for Locust Ck, Schuylkill Co., or one of the many other streams around Pa with that appearance.

Very nice fish and write up. You should post your trip breakdowns more often. You do them very well and they're always an interesting read.

Both really lovely fish.

Thanks everyone. Mike, Schuylkill Co is pretty far from this stream haha, but yeah there's a bunch of others out there that resemble that stretch.

(PS, just noticed I received a PM.....don't know if it's about this thread, but anyways whoever sent it can you please send it to my email(in my profile) as I'm having issues with my inbox. Thanks...)

Nice going there streamer guy!
After all of that rain we had yesterday, I wouldn't have even gone out today But that first stream looks like it was in pretty good shape

Nice read dude, I enjoyed. I know what your saying about a specific fish in a specific spot. My most memorable fish was a 13, 14 in brown on a trico. I had been trying to get him for a couple weeks. Really awesome fish too. I like the first ones colors. Just looks nice.

Nice Fish! Great writing!

I'm wondering where you were that there was so much rain, it hardly rained at all on Friday.

Chaz, this was from the NW part of the state. Northern Ohio and NW PA got a lot of rain Thursday and Friday. Just about all of the bigger water is up and muddy.....and even though it's hard to tell these two streams were up and colored a bit...

Back