New Fly Fisher

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

Do you watch this show? I'm new to fly fishing and trout but I have 40 years of fishing experience including tournament bass fishing (don't hate me).

I'm out of fishing action waiting on surgery next week so I'm watching TV fishing. I just watched New Fly Fisher where they claimed to be catching 6-7 pound smallmouth one after another.

Now maybe my TV isn't displaying properly but based on those years of experience most of those six pounders were maybe four pounds in my opinion.

I'm fine with being told to buy a new TV. But, if you saw this smallmouth in Ontario show, please let me know if you saw 6-7 pound fish. And, like I said, he claimed this was the usual catch.

Not completely unheard of for size of smallmouth, but to be catching them in that size one after another? Hmmm.

I do realize it is Canada though. I hear tall tales from up there.

Was this person trying to push a guide service?

Canada uses the metric system. Maybe they had some problems converting. Just kidding. Anyway, I live on the USA side of Lake St. Clair and while the SMB fishing is good, it's not that good.

The primary sponsor of this episode was the Algoma District of Ontario which is where they were catching all these "monster" fish. I think that much to do with the hyperbole. And, it was unnecessary as the fish were an excellent size (4 plus pounds) and the guy gave out good fishing information.

I saw the episode. They were all nice smallies that they caught but I was a bit skeptical of the sizes they were tossing out there. The last big one of the show may have been close to what they stated, but I still think they were estimating high.

I have caught a few smallies in my 50 years of fishing for them all over the USA and Canada.For average size nothing beats Lake Erie IMO......it sounds to me that given the shorter growing seson in Canada and it was a show promoting fishing tourism that the average size stated in the show was stretching it a bit.."just sayin, ey"

That's why I never ever watch fishing shows or fishing tournements. They are infomercials made to make you buy something really expensive and totally unnecessary. They make people believe you have to have 10 tackle boxes filled with 5 to 20 dollar lures or a fly fishing vest with 1000 flies in every color and every size, or a trip to Ontario.

Ill second Lake Erie and toss in the many river and streams like the niagra river for "6 to 7lb" usual SMB

I really enjoy fishing Canada and have been doing it since my parents took us there every year from the time I was about 5 years old. When I got old enough, I did plenty of my own trips there. The small mouth fishing can be great in some places but I'll also take Lake Erie day in and out for smallies.

Back