Need a little help

Rolf

Rolf

I have a friend, (yes it’s true, even me), in Texas and he’s interested in taking up fly fishing. Most of the time he’ll be fishing for pan fish and an occasional smallmouth. I suggested he start with an 8-1/2’ 5 weight outfit. My thinking is, it should be easier to learn with and be a pretty nice compromise as far as choices go. I told him an outfit doesn’t have to be expensive and he should contact his local fly shop for more help. Duh! There are not a lot of fly shops in Wichita Falls Texas. Plan “B” is to go with an inexpensive matched outfit. I suggested a Cortland outfit and he mentioned there is a Cabela’s within two hours. Great! Except I don’t know that much about what they offer. I’ve heard the outfits are pretty good but some have a really poor reel. He’s looking to spend between $100.00 to $150.00. If anyone out there has some real hands on experience with a Cabelas or for that matter, any outfit they feel good about recommending, I’d appreciate hearing from you. I plan on sending im a few extra boxes and flies I have just to wet his appetite.

As Always… Thanks,
Rolf

They have a number of combos below $150. My suggestion is the Three Forks/CSR. Cabelas have both #5 and #6 in 8'6" two piece. There is a 8'6" four piece #5but have to go to 9' for four piece #6. The reason I'd suggest that one is that the reel has a better drag than some of the other combos. I have CSR reels and they will hold up with with small bass. Some of the other combos have lighter reels, probably more suited to trout.

I've picked up two decent combos for my nephew a 7 1/2 foot 5 wgt when he was younger and 8 1/2 foot 6 wgt about 4 years ago when he was in college and working at a summer camp in the Adirondacks. Both were well under $100. I think caught the 6 wgt on sale and it ran me about $60.00. The 6 wgt would make a good starter rod for panfish and smallies. I wouldn't be that concerned about the reel, as we all know it's just a line holder and for what he'll be fishing for he doesn't really need anything expensive. Though I do believe Cabela's offers different levels of a combo, based on the reel selected. My concern would be with the fly line supplied with the combo. I replaced the fly line that came with both outfits I brought for my nephew. Nothing top of the line but better than what came with them. I keep trying to get that little 5 wgt back from him but he can't remember where it's at.
I own one Cabella's travel rod, and a 4 piece 8 wgt I brought when I was making a couple of trips a year to Guam for work. I like it and it had enough backbone to punch through the 10-20 mile hour breeze that is always blowing there. All but two of my other rods are built on Cabela's blanks. If he's near Dallas there's a place called Barlow's which carries fly fishing stuff including rods and reels. He may want to check it out.

Rolf;
Now, that I'm over the shock of finding out- YOU have any friends, I'll throw in my, own, .09 cents worth on the help you've asked for.
Correct me, if wrong, but it sounds like your friend has never before picked up a fly rod and reel, let alone, fished for anything with one!??
If this is the case, I'd first suggest he take a little of that "combo money" and either rent/borrow/buy, a couple of books, and/or, tapes on fly fishing OR, talk to someone, about some sort of lessons.
The reason I say this, is because I've seen so, so, many potential fly fishers, over the years, walk into a store, buy-rod/reel/line/leader and flies, then go out on the water and not have A CLUE as to what to do with any of the things they just purchased!
So, one......... they get it rigged all wrong and don't get anywhere, but frustrated as hell, two... even getting everything put together correctly, then they STILL don't have a clue as to how to "get the fly, from the grass, into the water".
The "result"? They end up so ticked off, confused and frustrated that they closet the whole crap-ol-a lot of what they bought and go back to worm dunking. Never having the chance to find out what, you, and we all know, about this wonderful obsession/sport/addiction/mental illness called "fly fishing".
I can certainly semi-understand, why he wants to start out the inexpensive route, because I think everyone feels "Why spend a wad, then find out I don't like it?" Or, naturally, neither do I know his financial situation of course!
But, "IF" he can scrounge out a few extra bucks and get the best equipment he can truly afford, I know, he'll get more pleasure from the sport than starting out with marginal gear. Sort of like "Playing golf and not liking it", because your first clubs were wooden yard sticks, with rocks duct taped on the ends.
It will, also, be much easier for him to learn the correct way of doing things, if his gear is somewhat decent. He certainly should also snoop around for used rods and reels, too. Someone's ALWAYS "trading up" and some great buys can be had!

I have to second the cabelas three forks combo's. I have two of them, a 7 wt and a 3 wt. I love them both. I use the 3 wt ALL the time, i beat the living crap out of it and have no problems. I bought the one with the least expensive reel. I think the whole combo was like 80 bucks. Can't really beat it.

Flybinder it shocked the hell out of me too, imagine that, a friend. You’re right about him being a beginner and about the tapes or lessons. I will be sending along a 3M series tape on beginning to fly fish along with a couple of books. Dallas is the closest place, (2-1/2 hours), to go for lessons and that may be an option. One concern I hadn’t figured on was the line and I think I have a spare 444 WF laying around I can part with.

Thanks,
Rolf

Dear Rolf,

That explains why you haven't been talking to me much lately. I just knew you were holding out on me, I could just sense that you had another friend. :-D

Give Steve a call at Fly Fisher's Paradise, 1-814-234-4189. He'll put your buddy into a Cortland rod and an inexpensive reel that will serve your Texas friend well for stock tank fishing for somewhere around that $ 150.00 figure. Trust me.

You get the combo together and I'll whip up a dozen or so proven bluegill producers from my vise. The man will be in business!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

That explains why you haven't been talking to me much lately. I just knew you were holding out on me, I could just sense that you had another friend.

Tim, you are a "beer/fishing buddy." That goes deeper than just being a friend. :)

Rolf

Rolf,

If your friend goes with a combo from Cabelas, get the less expensive Prestige Plus reel instead of the CSR. A number of posters, myself included, have had trouble with the drag on the CSR. I believe the Prestige Plus is actually made by Okuma, and it's meant to be pretty solid.

Also, a 9' 6 wt might be a bit better for bass fishing. The extra inches will make the rod easier to cast accurately,and he'll have more luck lobbing those big bass bugs on a heavier rod.

Back