My 21 plus inch Penns Brown!

P

PSUturf91

Hey guys!

This post is in response to my "Elusive 20 inch wild brown" post. I finally managed to crack the 20 inch mark with a 21.5 inch brown from Penns Creek on Wed. night. I have a picture linked below.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeLP1KbP1j0-MVJlhKQa28fEKFR3Dmm9sqHnAtumjl56lW_3qbf_qCHJazW7gmlg?key=LVVDc3ZVNjcwSmVnRlJRVk9OLU8xZ2cwUDNEdWJ3

I also would like to say (because I don't want to be accused of killing this dinosaur) that although it has that "dead fish blank stare", this fish is very much alive. He was out of the water or no longer than 15 seconds as I snapped a couple pics. You can see in the picture that his eye has some cloudy spots and I'm assuming is probably blind.

The tape isn't straight!!!

J/K.

Beautiful fish. Congrats. Yes, I'd guess that eye is blind. Assuming the other side isn't, she'll survive.

Not that it matters, but I'd guess you will get a stocked vs. wild debate going here. FWIW, my vote is wild. But I'm hardly sure of it.

Blind or not that fish has been eating well. Way to go!

Great catch!!!

pcray1231 wrote:
The tape isn't straight!!!

Since you mentioned it (and I know you're jk but you know how petty some people can be) the zero on this tape doesn't start until about an inch from the end. So if the tape was straight, the zero would be at the tip of the tail.

Oh, I know. Yes, it's over 20". Unless you got a trick tape. ;)

Thanks for posting and congrats again!

Very cool. Set a goal and achieved it! Determination.

night time is the right time

That looks like an Atlantic Salmon to me! :-o Nice fish.

Thank you all! Next stop... 23 inches haha.

Caught him on a large black streamer.

Nice fish! I caught a big brown once that had white cloudy eyes. I guess they get hazy kind of like old dogs do.

nice catch.

i would suspect he is near the end of his days - no longer able to hunt by sight, he's hunting meat via his lateral line.

over the years i have seen many browns like this - head bigger than body, teardrop rather than football shaped.

still a lovely fish though.

Funny 20" trout story: Spring 2015 I arrived at a popular Penns Creek pool where a couple fishermen around my age were fishing. The fisherman in the water hooked up momentarily using a Copper John. The other fisherman was out of the water and told me he'd just caught a 20" rainbow that was blind in one eye. I congratulated him on the catch, then moved on to other waters. About a week later I fished that pool and had a rainbow rise to my dry fly. Though I'd hoped it was the 20" trout this fish didn't fight like one. A decent fish, this one measured 17" against my fly rod (thread wrap at 18"). You guessed it, the trout was blind in one eye.....

PENZZZ wrote:
The other fisherman was out of the water and told me he'd just caught a 20" rainbow that was blind in one eye.... A decent fish, this one measured 17" against my fly rod (thread wrap at 18"). You guessed it, the trout was blind in one eye.....

I've come to the conclusion that many fisherman round anything over 15" up to 20". Got to take it all with a grain of salt.

Also cool to hear that its evidently not incommon for fish to continue to feed and apparently do well even with less than perfect eyesight.

Back