Monster fish

bassistjon112

bassistjon112

I just fished Catch and release sec of Donegal creek with a friend tonight and saw a HUGE brown trout, he was like a whale coming to the surface. We also saw a lot of anacharis so we grabbed some for my friends fish tank.

Only thing we landed today was some two inch chubs :(

I saw one like that come up behind a boat in Yankee Jim Canyon on the yellowstone river in Montana.
Somewhere in the 20 pound range.A 16 pounder was caught 15 miles below that.A dude from NJ..
Spotting that huge brown is a treasured memory 30 years later.
I think I was skunked that day-but I remember it for what I didn't catch-lol

i saw it as well and would estimate it as 22-23 inches. i am guessing it is in the same spot and is not exactly a desirable fishing hole. i ended up catching a snapping turtle in that hole. im pretty sure it just swam into my nymph rig but when the indicator went down i set the hook like a champ and thought i had that beastly trout. he took a greenie weenie right in the face!

What's even more frustrating is when you have hooked-up with a specific monster brownie like that 4 or 5 times this season....and he has given you the shake everytime.

I have one fish in a specific location on Clear Fork in OH that is solidly 23-24". The guy explodes on my big articulated streamer every time I fish that section and EVERY freakin' time he has given me the slip. It's a war now...and we both know it :) I will get him in the fall when things cool back down...but, if he gives me the slip even 1 more time, I might just eat him when I do catch him. (I'm kidding...I won't eat him).

Patrick,
I had the same experience on Spring Creek this spring for a 2 week stretch. The water was pretty high then and I was fishing my regular beat at Fisherman's Paradise. Well, I hooked into a fish and immediately knew this was not the run of the mill brown of 11 3/4". It tore off into a seam of fast water and went over a small waterfall below me. I was fishing 5x/6x at the time so I was too afraid to try and muscle this fish in under these conditions so I ran after him and went down the waterfall myself. After I get into this second run/pool he goes down the next waterfall. I figured, "you did it once, might as well get after him again", but disaster struck as I went over the second fall-- I slipped. I didnt go down, but my slip flipped my rod a bit and wrapped the line around the tip of my rod. This tension was all he needed to break my line. I was pretty heart broken. I went after him nearly every day and caught up with him another 3 times. The third time he took my nymph and I knew I would have him this time(cause I had switched to 3x :). The second I set the hook, he pulled hard and went upstream and jumped a waterfall like a salmon. He had to be 2 feet out of the water when he jumped. I finally reigned him in with the help of my 3x and just as I got my hand on him to unhook my fly, he spit it and was gone. It was a rainbow of 18-19 inches. I graduated the next day, so I didnt get another shot. Gotta love big and elusive fish.

Back