Migration on the Tully

J

jOjO

The annual migration of anglers has started early this year on the Tully! This photo was taken on Sunday by Rick Nyles of Blue Sky Outfitters.

I believe in the "early migration" season, the object is to step on the fish and not catch them. Sarcastic comments welcomed:)

LOL no kidding. I hooked (and lost) a nice fish right where that one guy is standing! I think he's indeed stepping on my fish!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great reply! I'm scared to see what the paper mill will look like come spring. The trout will look like flounders!

jOjO

just curious though, i mean has it really been any worse. I seem to remember the tully always being crowded. Especially during the trico hatch. One reason i like the upper tully so much more. Then again that list is so very very long to why i like that piece of water better.

I fished the Tully the first time ever this past weekend. The sad part is I live a mere 20minutes from it :) The fishing wasn't the greatest on Sunday but I attribute that to the fish feeding like crazy on Saturday(hopefully I'm right and the fishing isn't normally that bad).

The scenery and stream itself seems very nice and well cared for! I hope to get many hours in on the Tully during the week this year considering it's location to me!

Its an urban trout stream..what exactly do you expect?

I was the only one seriously fishing at this hole for about an hour on Saturday. The amount of people picked up a little later in the afternoon. I picked up 10 right where that guy is standing in the riffles. After a while, I moved on to explore some more of the stream and when I came back watched two guys walk right through the productive water I was fishing earlier without even trying to fish it first.

That pool is always crowded. It's also filthy with fish.

That guy would be better off crossing and fishing from the other side at that rate. You get better drifts that way anyway.

tom: I expect nothing more than a good day on the stream. The fishing quality doesn't really matter to me, but it sure would have been nice to at least see a little fish activity. The only thing that displayed any sign of fish life to me was a dead carp that a fish ate. :)

On the flip side of the coin, since I have never fished there I don't really know any of the hot holes, nor do I know if I even parked at a good spot/fished any known fish locations.

A day of fishing with no catch is still better than sitting at home.

Amen to that! :lol:

gemiller wrote:
tom: I expect nothing more than a good day on the stream. The fishing quality doesn't really matter to me, but it sure would have been nice to at least see a little fish activity. The only thing that displayed any sign of fish life to me was a dead carp that a fish ate. :)

On the flip side of the coin, since I have never fished there I don't really know any of the hot holes, nor do I know if I even parked at a good spot/fished any known fish locations.

A day of fishing with no catch is still better than sitting at home.

I think he was making a rhetorical question to the original post.

If so my apologies, just assumed it was directed at me! If not my point still stands :p

I just wish that stream had more holding water in the section below the dam. It seems you have only a few places to fish the tully. The fish stack up in the good holding water and that's about it. There's been times i've fished rebers, and suddenly i'm crowded out. So, i decide to move upstream but run out of (what seems to me) fishable water. I mean it widens and flattens out fast and for a very long distance above rebers.

tobewan77 wrote:
I just wish that stream had more holding water in the section below the dam. It seems you have only a few places to fish the tully. The fish stack up in the good holding water and that's about it. There's been times i've fished rebers, and suddenly i'm crowded out. So, i decide to move upstream but run out of (what seems to me) fishable water. I mean it widens and flattens out fast and for a very long distance above rebers.

It's devoid of habitat. Not much you can do about it. The stream isn't natural.

It used to have some good holding water immediately below the dam, but the floods of '03 (I think) washed it all away.

I only have been there the one day last weekend and fishing downward from a bridge of somesort. I believe it was "Rebers Bridge" it was where what I believe Plum Creek met the Tully.

(I just followed roads until I found a parking place)

I only went downstream from the bridge, didn't even try upstream but everyone seemed to be fishing the merger of streams right there.

Although I do have a question, a good ways down the stream there are some odd triangular manmade structures on the left side of the stream as you walk downstream. I assume these are fish habitats but the first one is just emptiness, what exactly are these?

I was driving home the other day and skipped over the Tully on the rt. 222 bridge and looked down, lo and behold there was someone hold a rod and tying something on squinting and holding close to his eyes, not a good thing to be doing. But it was a nice day.
I didn't get out, but I was tying flies, something I need to do more of.

That is a great looking stream, we are a little spoiled here in Central Pa,Today I bet I could drive for miles along the Little J and not see a fisherman.

Ha, Stupid idiots (in the picture, I mean). Assuming that was taken in the wintertime, they have failed to take a water temperature check....

THE FISH ARE BEHIND YOU.

Think they heard me? Actually, they're probably under the one guy, but that spot is already ruined for the day.

Trowpa, its very likely whoever was there before us that day did something like the guy in the green jacket.

Anyway, lack of holding water, yep. There's only about a half dozen decent spots. At least a few of them aren't visible from the road, being even a couple of hundred yards from the access points seems to turn away 90% of the guys. The pictured hole is, quite obviously, the most popular pool on the stream. It's a combination of heavy stocking right there, and the influence of Cacoosing which gives the fish a thermal escape.

gemiller, The triangle things are put in by TU to narrow the channel, and thus trying to cool the water downstream as well as create, perhaps, fish holding structure and some semblence of "current".

With the exception of crossing the stream to retrieve a fly from a bush after I've already fished a hole for a good amount of time...it does surprise me how many people wade right into the lies and start fishing. The bigger problem is that others fall right in afterward...

That's what I like about The Little "J" I have seen the river gods eat quite a few fishermen

Back