Marcellus Shale workers affecting upstate motel availability?

L

lestrout

I have heard some of the motels in the drilling areas have been full of workers. Has this influx reduced the availability of rooms for us ffishing types?

hp
les

It's hotel/motel specific, but the last couple of years I've used the Best Western in Lock Haven (Clinton) and the parking lot was mostly all driller's trucks from OUT OF STATE! I didn't have a problem getting a room though.

from my experience, lots of drillers at the motels, but they still keep rooms open for regular folks. I'd make try to make a reservation though, especially if you plan on being there during any type of "prime time"

not directly related to here but this past summer I was stayed at a motel in Casper WY, lots of gas/oil people there, but the motels all kept the workers in the rear of the buildings and out of sight!

Bars and lodging around the williamsport area are full of gas workers, in my experience. I would think that getting a room should be no problem, though.

Yes, I tried to bag on a backpacking trip in tiadagthon state forest due to heavy down pours. I hiked out of the woods and drove to williamsport. I tried to get a room at like 10pm in williamsport on a weekday (non-holiday week). No vacancies at both places I tried. Parking lots were full of drilling crew trucks. I gave up and drove all the way home to bucks county. Not a fun drive.

besides the hotel/motel shortage, a friend of mine works up there and he has had trouble finding a place to park his camper during the week.....BTW because of the drilling he has not been laid off at all for the last two years. He is in the operating engineers union and is usually laid off in the winter.

The new micro hotel in mansfield is completely full with gas workers, so theyre building another one.

In november (i think) we rented 6 rooms at the Manor Hotel on Slate Run and we were the only guys there it was on a Tuesday. But I didn't see alot of drilling activity close by....now up near Babbs Creek Anthon area, it was fluid with triaxles. And we worked on the landfill next to a drill site.

I grew up in williamsport and go there often. The hotels,motels are packed. They are building more as we speak.

I could see that. Went hunting in southeast Ohio early November and when I called weeks ahead of time to our usual hotels, they were booked through the New Year.

Yes, no doubt about it. Motels, campgrounds and cabins too.

So the Quill Gordon Summiteers ought to be gettin g their reservations down soon.

Jack I doubt it'll affect the camp ground in Potato City, but we do need to start thinking about all that.

When is the Quill Gordon Jam?

We Live near Wellsboro and there have been no vacancies here for quite some time.Last spring I needed to go to the hospital in Sayre Pa. for a procedure that needed an overnight stay. Its over 100 miles from here so my wife was going to get a room and be there to take me home the next day. We could not find a room anywhere in that area even weeks before I had to go in. She ended up taking her sleeping bag and pillow and was going to sleep in the car in hosp. parking lot. Luckily they left me out the same day I had the angioplasty done. This used to be a nice quiet tourist town but now you cant go out to eat anywhere without a long wait there are no motels to stay in and the traffic is horendous. The businesses are thriving. I had to wait almost 45 min. the other week to get a gas can full of diesel fuel for my tractor. If you get to the only pumps that have diesel here at the wrong time you better be patient. The rentals up here went crazy, a house or apt. that rented for 450.00 a month 2 yrs ago now is going for 1200.00 or even more depending on the number of bedrooms. I hope all you guys can find places to stay this spring or whenever your planning your trips but I would call early and keep your fingers crossed.

Les,

I'd try the Manor Hotel and tell them you're fly fishing. They haven't lost their roots and are generally very accommodating to fishermen.

paflyfish participants have a standing offer to stay at my place in Tioga county. No room service or maid service though.

Back