Look at what I found in the man shed

Bruno

Bruno

Came home from fishing for some blue gills and went out to the shed to tie some flies and this guy is banging around

Attachments

• IMG00022-20100716-2207[1].jpg
    IMG00022-20100716-2207[1].jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG00021-20100716-2207[1].jpg
    IMG00021-20100716-2207[1].jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 4
Dog day cicada?

I think so anyway. Not the periodical kind, those guys come every year in smaller numbers. They're also much later in the year, they don't show up till around now. The periodical cicadas come out in the spring.

They're getting pretty thick here in NJ. My dog found a few this morning.

I've found a couple shed exoskeletons in my honey locust tree last week, and I've been hearing them plenty.

The need to start falling into the water in large numbers.

Only 15 more years and it's on!!!!!!!!!!! (Sooner for some regions)

I found one in my backyard the other day!

PaulG

heres mine

Attachments

• cicada.jpg
    cicada.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 4
Yea the perrenial locusts have green on them. The periodical have orange.

flipnfly wrote:
heres mine
Thats like the one I found, first time I ever seen a green one!

PaulG

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

Yellow Breaches and Letort in 2012 anyone????????

ryguyfi wrote:

Yellow Breaches and Letort in 2012 anyone????????

Sure would be nice wouldn't it? I haven't heard much about the 2012 brood..I wonder if it's too spotty to produce a lot of action on the cumberland valley runs? Maybe one of the old timers coud shed some light on the 2012 brood...I gather it's either so good know one wants to talk about it, or it's a dud..

-

?
From what I could see, 2012 would be Falling Springs. It shows Breeches and Letort in 2021. No?

2012 (2029) - Adams, Cumberland, and Franklin Counties; last emerged in 1995

No one knows for sure, but those counties would include the Letort, BS, FS, GS, and the YB.

[color=003399](edited for Jack: Big Spring, Falling Springs, Green Spring, and the Yellow Breeches.)[/color]

How about The C, MC and KC and the Sunshine Band?

Have any of you (besides me) ever seen a cicada wasp (sometimes called a eastern cicada killer). Now there is a nasty looking stinging insect. It makes a bumble bee look cuddly. Darn things are a couple inches long and just look nasty.

But don't kill them. They won't sting unless you mess with them, and the benefit outweighs the bad.

I had an area in the side yard that was full of them. I was trying to mow, and these huge nasty looking wasps were all around me when I was trying to mow under a big cherry tree. It was an area about 15 to 20 square feet with all these sand mounds with holes next to them. There were so many, most of the grass was killed. Unfortunately, I killed them all before I knew what they were. What can I say, I was trying to mow and they certainly did not seem to appreciate that.

Never saw or heard of such creatures. Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer

I've seen a "killer' in action. They are pretty damn big. Sitting there and heard a buzz and thwack! Looked down and it had the Cicada speared. Snatched him right out of the air. Pretty cool to see.

It was stupid,dumb.

Attachments

• 772_4841626d3dbae.jpg
    772_4841626d3dbae.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 3
I've thrown this fact out there a few times when Cicada threads come up, but it still fascinates me that cicada killers aren't born until well after periodic cicada are long gone. Now that's some irony for ya, mother nature style. As SN's avatar would say "Sometimes irony can be pretty ironic Jimmy."

Boyer

Yeah my old man and his neighbors yards along the Delaware was infested with Cicada Killer wasps for several years, we called 'em sand hornets. This year I don't really see them, at least I haven't yet. Those things freak you out, I hated mowing his lawn when they arrived. Awesome to see them in action though taking down a cicada. I think the sandy loam soil of this area made it inviting for them to make nests.

Back