Little Juniata

T

Troy

Hi Everyone,
I am headed to the Little Juniata on Saturday for the first time. We are going to be getting some rain tonight and tomorrow. I was just wondering how the river weathers the storm. Does it get high and muddy easily or is it one of those streams that might get high, but it still stays pretty clear? I would just hate to drive out there from Reading and not be able to fish it. Thanks!

Troy

Troy,

The USGS data can be found here:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01558000

As long as the height stays under 3ft, I've been told that it should be fine.

A call to these guys should give you all the info you need:
http://www.sprucecreekoutfitters.org/

Jay,
Thanks, I see that it is fine now, but the problem is that I don't have a computer at home. I won't be able to look Saturday before I leave. We plan on leaving really early in the morning so I won't be able to call the shop. I really need a computer at home, but I can do all I need with one at work.

Troy

A call to the shop friday night, coupled with a look at the weather should give you a good idea.

Spruce creek is also an option in the area, as well as the centre county limestoners. I'd make my final plans friday night, and have maps to backup ideas handy.

I will go on the record to say that it should be absolutely fine. Based on the forecast, I would be shocked if the stream wasn't fishable. I've only fished it in relatively high flows, and have done very well. A little color just means more rising fish in the middle of the day.

Thanks Jay. I am going to go for it. I am excited about going there. I fished the Centre County streams before, but never the Little J. Thanks for all your help. I love road trips.

Troy

Troy wrote:
Thanks Jay. I am going to go for it. I am excited about going there. I fished the Centre County streams before, but never the Little J. Thanks for all your help. I love road trips.

Troy

No problem.

I've done day trips to the J before. It's a LONG day. Enjoy.

I can run up and check it Friday evening if you want, watch the forum Fri late. I am due for a trip, have had the flu since the day after Memorial day

errr guess I should make that Friday afternoon if no comp at home

LittleJuniata,
Thanks for the offer, but I don't have a computer at home so I won't be able to check. I am just going to go for it. I can check the computer at work at 4:30 tomorrow and I should be able to get a good feel. I still think you should get out there to fish regardless. Good Luck!

Troy

I checked it today around noon the river looks perfect like it never rained.

Light rain here all morning, I would look at a good radar map to see how big the rrain area is, USGS gauge has not oved up as of 9:30AM

http://www.accuweather.com/radar-state.asp?partner=netweather&traveler=0&zipcode=-999&level=state&type=SIR&anim=0&site=PA_

Thanks for all the updates on the Little J. Heading to there Saturday afternoon. Hoping to avoid all the wet weather south of there.

No rain in the forecast tomorrow, so just check the gauge late, I also like to check Spring Creek gauge and the Frankstown Branch gauge, for a look at what is happening, sort of tells you what influence Spruce may have and the upper reaches of the Little J near Altoona, Hope you folks have a great trip

Check Spring Creek at the upper most gauge, also check Bald Eagle Creek at Tyrone

Hey littlejuniata you going out there at all. I am going to call a buddy of mine down in barree to see if he can check it out. I will let you all know in about 2 hours.

Thanks Everyone for the info. It looks like the river should be fine. I am psyched. I never fished it and I am really looking forward to it. Thanks again!

Troy

going out today maybe and seeing if there are any good trout taking nymphs wading in shorts and sneakers might fall about 10,000 times but I am goign to get wet anyway cause I got holes in my neoprenes

If the weather's the same as it is here in the burgh - cool and overcast - I'll bet the fish will be rising to something
And the air temp is only like 60 degrees - gotta be a hardy soul to wet wade in that

quit raining (we didn't get much) and appears to be clearing somewhat? Won't make it up, working on my project today, today would be a great day, but you need clothing (55 degrees), tomorrow shoud be great, now if the fish just cooperate, they have been well fed of late

Roger Penske just bought Saturn, saved all those jobs, salute the guy

I was wading 2 days ago in shorts and a sneakers

I have extra skin so you could say I have wet waded for about 2 months now so I think I can manage.

Back