Little J Next Weekend 9/16

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Accompanying my wife to visit her mom in Altoona next weekend. I have been given "permission" to fish the LJ. Never fished it before and I am excited. What patterns would you reccomend for this time of year? Terrestials still a good bet?

I'm not sure what the conditions will be like by next weekend but I'd guess they should be fishable if we see a break from precip. Watch the water gauge and hopefully some folks from that area will chime in with up to date reports. Have you checked some of the recent threads in Stream Reports on the "LJ?" Yes, definitely terrestrials. Nymphing too. Th LJ is pretty big water and will probably have a high flow so you'll need waders and I'd bring a longer fly rod. Good luck with your trip. Let us know how you made out

Terrestrials, green weenies, BWO, Iso nymphs, perhaps some Iso dries. caddis in the morning if the water drops.

I would bring some streamers, depending on the flows. Right now I believe it's around 1000 cfs, Anything over 300 it'll be very minimal dry fly action.

The j went up to near flood stage, dropped, went up slightly again, dropped, and went back up to 2500 last night, and is now around 1600 and falling slowly for such a high level. the ground is saturated and the springs are FULL. i dont see the j falling below 600 cfs until the middle of this week. this is just speculation, i could very well be wrong. i bet a lot of the sediment has already washed downstream, so it will probably be pretty clear by the middle of this week. i definitely would not rule out dry flies for your trip. i fished the grannom hatch at 1000 cfs and caught fish on top. if the j is too high for your liking, try the tribs, i bet they are fishing really well right now.

Fade I'm off this weekend if you like I can show you around, I offered last year, but couldn't make it. Let me know.

That would be great TUNA. We could meet at the Spruce Creek Tavern Sat AM?

TUNA wrote:
Fade I'm off this weekend if you like I can show you around, I offered last year, but couldn't make it. Let me know.

Consider it an honor. TUNA is amazing, especially on the LJ. I wish I knew all that he knew about that river. He'll get you into some fish for sure.

Can I come along? I can meet you at your house since I know where you live TUNA.

Of course, Its about time you finally posted something......

I may come just to heckle you from the bank...

Wish we were going up this weekend. It would be nice to fish with you guys. Of all weekends I just can't get away. Fade, your gonna really enjoy the LJ. If it's fishing good you'll be hooked on that water. Learn him well Tuna. It is great water. Damn, just can't get away.....

TUNA Spruce Creek Tav 7:30AM breakfast on me

I'm headed up that way the weekend of Oct 7-9. BPS (Brian) said he'd show me around. If anyone else plans to be on the water let me know .... I get in the evening of Friday Oct 7 and plan to fish early on the 8th (have a wedding for my wife's cousin in Altoona at 5:00pm). Any suggestions on patterns and sizes to start tying would be great.

Have a great weekend - wish i was going!

fished below the bridge at Barre. multiple rises 4 hours straight and i got skunked.Truly humiliating and frustring as well. TUNA had to be a hunting guide last minute so was on my own. Ran into some guys cleaning the river in tyrone and they suggested fishing in Barree. I will go back. Lovely water. Tuna you are lucky to have this stream in you backyard.

Don't feel bad Fade,we have all been there.lol
You enjoyed it.

Did I mention humbling?

Yeah,but imagine if you were one the "experts" that caught 100 fish every time you walked out the door.What would you have to look forward to,101 ?

Bummer. I was really hoping that would not happen to you your first time on the water. I have been zilched out on the LJ more than I care to say. I usually fish the Barree section. I just can't seem to get away from it to venture up or down just too far. Sometime it's just 100 to 150 yards of water and I'm happy with the fishing so I don't get any further. I have slow, fast, deep, shallow water all in a miles worth of water. Keep us all posted on when you'll be able to get back up. I'd be up for it. Sure is a pretty place to be though ain't it? Spruce is another hot spot I hit when I feel like loosing flies to the flora.... I do catch fish there too but I loose a plethora of flies along the way. Stiff upper lip there ol chap. The first time I fished her I got skunked also.

I was actually cursing them as i felt they were playing with me. The fish were leaping out of the water within 3 of where i was standing scaring the crap out of me.

ps tried 4 dry fly patterns and 5 different nymphs....even the bugger forsook me

Back