Lightning - Watch Out Fishermen

F

Fishidiot

This time of year it's never a bad thing to remind ourselves how often we're out and about during stormy weather with lightning. And most of us who've been on the water a long time can remember some of those days and maybe some close calls.
Anyway, it turns out that fishing, according to a recent study, is the most common activity engaged in by those who are struck by lightning. Be careful out there friends.

Lightning and Fishermen

On the lighter side, the threat of lightening is one more reason to forgo the graphite rod and just fish bamboo.

( :

Shock

I found that one of my better days fishing a central PA stream was before, during, and after an intense set of thunderstorms. It was bad enough during that the thought of becoming a statistic crossed my mind but I chased it by fishing some more :)

Stand in a stream, drop a graphite rod tip on a cow fence. Like getting hit in the head with a 2 x 4. I stay far away from a storm with a rod in hand.

I heard a distant rumble just a dark tonight on the Lehigh and remembered this post, I stepped out and on the hike out there was plenty of lightining flashes, paranoia,....

Shock wrote:
On the lighter side, the threat of lightening is one more reason to forgo the graphite rod and just fish bamboo.

( :

Shock

or glass!!

... or boron? I'm not entirely sure, so it's boo or glass for me. I saw a graphite in Utah that had been left by a tree and it was impressive how the thing was all splintered by the lightning.

VERY Good reminder........ and don't forget the danger of open fields during a storm
About 10 year ago,I was fishing out West and a lightening storm came up.Several fisherman scattered across a field heading to their parked cars and one got hit with a bolt.I found out the next day that he died.

I really don't think the rod material (Bamboo, Glass, Graffiti or Horse Poop) will make a difference. If it's WET (guess what?) the electricity will visit you when it decides.
Anyways, there's a old rock song that say, "Better to burn out, than fade away"

Penny your references are tight

Back