Lehigh River & FEW Reservoir - meeting FYI

L

LehighRegular

If anyone has any interest....see this announcement

News Release #090113

- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -

Army Corps to present Walter Dam 2009 flow plan at Jan. 21 public workshop

Philadelphia (Jan. 13, 2009): The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in partnership with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Delaware River Basin Commission, has scheduled an open public workshop to announce the 2009 Francis E. Walter Dam Flow Management Plan and discuss its implementation.

The workshop will take place Jan. 21, 2009 at the Mountain Laurel Resort, Route 940 West, White Haven, Pa., from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., and will be facilitated by the Wildlands Conservancy.

Workshop Agenda:

> 6:30 p.m. - Networking session for the public and agency personnel.

> 7:00 p.m. - Presentation by the Corps and its partners addressing the
implementation and results of the 2005 through 2008 Flow Management Plans, and discussion of the 2009 plan.

> 8:00 p.m. - Question and answer period. The public is invited to
> address
their concerns about flow management and recreation along the Lehigh River.
Comments or questions will be limited to 3 minutes to provide an opportunity for all who want to speak to do so. Additionally, the public is encouraged to provide their comments in writing so they can be incorporated into current and future flow management plans.

> 8:30 p.m. - The Corps and its partners will form small breakout groups
> to
discuss the new plan and address other recreational concerns individually.

> 9:00 p.m. - Workshop ends.

Public interest is at the heart of the current and future flow management plans; therefore public needs will influence future decisions. The Corps and its partners will continue to encourage the public to participate in the process and provide us written comments throughout the year by mail or email.

For further information, please visit our website at:
http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Projects/FEWalter/index.htm

Thanks, Dean. I'll be there. I haven't missed a meeting yet. The only thing I wanna hear George say is that the bypass gates are fixed and they'll be used to the fullest extent that the original plan called for-
In order to conserve cold water in the reservoir, the bypass system will be utilized to the maximum extent possible to make releases. Once release temperature from the bypass reaches 68 degree F, all releases will be made from the flood control gates.

I doubt the gates are fixed yet. Last year George told me it would get done this winter, which is far from over. He said the reservoir level had to be at 1298' or lower, just below the gate level to get it done. I don't recall seeing the level that low yet this fall or winter. I hope he'll have news on the bypass gates which I see as the critical factor for the summer release temp to us trout folk.

Mark

Thanks for coming and please say hello if you see me there. Western Pocono TU has made badges to wear to show support for the fishery, so the angler can be recognizable. Pick one up if you wish.

As for the by pass gates, the last time I talked to G Sauls, they were still in the "contract negotiations" mode. I hope that has been ironed out by now. I too hope they get fixed this year...but I have my doubts. I believe they need to drop the pool down a good 5 feet to install the new gates.

As for the bypass systems effectiveness, it helps, but its minimal. Understand there is only 0.5 billion gallons of water between the bypass and flood gates on the bottom. The bypass gates are located at about elevation 1295 feet (bottom is 1250) and summer pool is 1370ft.

So you can see the bypass gates are still very deep in the pool and will draw a lot of coldwater off the almost bottom. THey do help a bit, but in all reality not even close enough to provide a big benefit.

What will be the benefit that is needed is a new tower with gates at higher elevations. The Coldwater Study will be simulating gates at five different elevations and a pool starting at 1392ft elevation. NOW WE ARE TALKING.

I see excellent results with that scenario. The Study should be completed by end of Summer/early fall...hopefully.

Then the fun begins again and of course angler support will be needed to support the struggling wild trout fishery.

hey guys...check this out...hot off the press!

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/cenap-pa/news.htm

News Release

Release Number: 090116
Phone: (215) 656-6515

— FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE —

Army Corps to Lower Water Levels at F.E. Walter Dam
Philadelphia (Jan. 16, 2009):

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has begun to lower water
levels at the Francis E. Walter Dam to 6 feet lower than normal, from an elevation of 1300 ft to 1294 ft, in preparation for the replacement of 2 bypass valves.

Kalimex Inc of Ocean N.J. is scheduled to begin work on the replacement this Wednesday, January 21, 2009, and expects to have the repairs complete by mid February.

-30-

Link to FE Walter water level. Talk about one cold friggin job!!!!!

Jake, thats's incredible! We were just talkin' 'bout that. I'm so glad to hear that news. I know there's not that much water below the bypass gates, but it's our one and only tool to adjust the release temp at all. I would like to see it used as much as possible. Even it it only helps us get thru July with lower temps, that's a good thing. It's better than every drop being released from the very bottom.

Last year would have been the perfect chance to see the effects of those gates. There were no massive flood releases that flush all the cool water at once. The less rain we get, the less water that's released and the cool water sticks around longer into the summer. Of course, I like to see lots of rain. It's ironic that the less rain we get, the cooler the water stays in the upper ten miles of the state park section of the Lehigh.

Thanks, you guys for all the news.

Mark

It makes me laugh that these people (rafters, kayakers, etc) believe they are going to loose their releases completely. That could be farther from the truth. Whitewater releases will always be ongoing with this river.

However, we believe in order to provide more water to the trout, some (not all) whitewater releases will have to be eliminated.

The problem with these Flow Plans is how they were developed. The agencies (PFBC, DCNR and ACOE) along with the rafter commercial companies looked at a calendar and said.."We want whitewater releases every other weekend starting on Mother's day weekend in May". Then what ever water was left over was provided to the fish.

Which was an extra 50 CFS above inflow (ie - if 100 cfs is flowing into FEW...then 150 is released). Our issue is an extra 50 cfs is like pizzing in the river. The benefits are extremely minimimal and barely noticable.

Now this years plan will have an extra 100 cfs above inflow being released between July 1 - 29. The 100 cfs above inflow is much better and should see some noticeable benefits.

Is this what our group wants ultimately, NO. But with the quantity of storage available and considering other interests (rafters/kayakers), this is better. It would be nice to be able to get 100 cfs between July 1 and Sept 1, during the hottest time of season when flows are usually low. Also, this water would negate AMD and sewage affects and provide a healthier river system.

What is ironic, to do so wouldn't be all that horrific. If the WW interests would conceed 4 releases betweeen July 1 and Sept 15 then an extra 100 cfs above inflow could be stretched to Sept 1.

Remember there are a total of 10 releases between July 1 and Sept 15 - they also have 7 releases between May 9th and July 1 for a total of 17 guranteed. Then there are another 7 releases that are precipitation depenedent, bring up the grand total to 24 releases. The rafters/kayakers achieved their 24 total last season.

I don't think it's too much to ask to eliminate 4 releases in order to provide for a healthier aquatic ecosystem????

It seemed like the largest crowd yet to these meetings. It only lasted maybe 40 minutes and I was bored thru the whole thing. Other than a small amount of water added for the river fishery, there was nothing new from last year. If ya didn't make it there, ya didn't miss anything.

This shot is just before starting and there's still a bunch of folks in the hall to the left. George is standing on the right in a white shirt.
Click for a larger image-

Mark
Nice pic. U R right, the unveiling of the plan was a bit lack-luster. But that is the way George wants it....so people/anglers don't ask him the tough questions.

Regarding the plan, there really is no addtiional water for the fishery, just the allocated water has been shifted around to provide higher releases in July and hopefully (rain/mother nature willing) for August.

Releases as follows:
April - 400 cfs max on weekends after opening day of trout
May - 200 cfs min
June - 200-250 cfs min
July - 100 cfs above inflow
Aug - 50 cfs above inflow, however if it rains enough we might get 100 cfs above inflow
Sept 1-15 - 50 cfs above inflow.
Remainder of year is precipitation dependent.

I thought it was a good turn out by both communities. But as you can see, the majority (rafting/kayaking) prevail with these flow plans.

The attached link gives you some insight on the other "stakeholders'" train of thought. Interesting dialogue.

http://www.enter.net/~lvcc/forum/index.php?showtopic=3645

Thanks to all anglers that attended and supported this trout fishery.

Back