Lehigh River - Army Corps meeting

L

LehighRegular

If anyone has any interest in attending - details below. Angler attendance is always greatly appreciated.

— FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE —
Army Corps to announce release plan at public meeting
PHILADELPHIA (Feb. 8, 2010) – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and its partners will host a public meeting to announce the Francis E. Walter Dam Flow Management Plan and discuss its implementation for the 2010 recreation season.

The meeting will be held Feb. 18 at the Mountain Laurel Resort, Route 940 West, White Haven, Pa., from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The meeting will be facilitated by The Wildlands Conservancy. Corps partners, including the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, and the Delaware River Basin Commission will be participating in the meeting.

A presentation and overview of the plan will be followed by a question and answer period where the public will also have the opportunity to provide comments.

Public interest is essential to the current and future flow management plans. The Corps and its partners will continue to encourage the public to participate in the process and provide us written comments throughout the year.

The plan will be posted to the Corps web site after the meeting. For further information, please visit our web site at: http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Projects/FEWalter/index.htm

Forgive me since I no nothing about this but it seems to me the plan is already decided- since it is an annoucement of the plan.

What is the point of having a public input at the end of the meeting?

To say the that they don't care about fishing and get everyone riled up? Or has the priors years input been helpful in shaping the future release plans.

Seems to me most releases from dams end in dissapointment for fisherman.

When it comes to the Lehigh most if not all dam releases are bad for the fisherman. I dont know much about what is going to talked about this meeting but I think LR was just asking for some more fisherman to go add there input and show the higher up's that the rafters are not the only people who use the river.

Yes...pretty much what Alpabuck stated. Also, you can talk to these people at the agencies (PFBC especially). Tell them what you like, don't like or what your concerns are with the Plan itself. Tell them what kind of fishery you want.

This is your chance to be heard. They do listen, there have been changes as a result of angler input.

One can also learn about what is going on. But most importantly, presence by anglers shows the agencies that we care about the river and trout that live there.

The reason why most releases end in dissapointment is we anglers don't have enough people speaking up. The rafters/kayakers are very "vocal". Squeaky wheel gets the grease??? Strength in numbers???

I might have to work but Im going to try to attend! I HATE RAFTERS!

Sounds just like what the USACE does with the Yough outflow. Open up the gates at 6 PM Friday - shut the gate at 6 PM Sunday. It"s all about putting rubber down river. Little, if any consideration to fishermen.

Good luck and glad that your able to stand up for what you and others feel is an important cause.

Never been out that way but I sure as time goes on I will.

Any take aways from the meeting? Not much else to talk about as it piles up out there.

The meeting isn't until Thursday evening. I would love to attend, just not sure it will happen.

As far as the rafters - I really wish they didn't exist either, however they are there to stay so the move now is to use them as an ally!

Ha! Very good.

I fish that area around twice a month. But I drive right past the dam and go to other local spots in the area because they are always having a release on the weekends which is the only time I get out now. If the flows are ever normal on the weekends I would love to fish the stretch below the dam. The meeting is out for since it is over an hour away.

NoClue...

You are a prime example of someone who should comment on these flow plans.

If you want to provide input and can't make the meeting, email Mark Hartle at the PFBC. mhartle@state.pa.us

He wants and needs to hear from the anglers. If he doesn't get feedback, its hard for him to make sound decisions on behalf of the anglers and trout. The more people that email him, the better.

May thru June - the WW releases will be every other weekend. Non-WW weekend releases are usually limited to no higher than 400 cfs, unless there are flood control issues. This makes the river very fishable/wadeable/floatable from the Dam down to Walnutport.

I will try to post details after the meeting tomorrow night. If anyone can make it, please try to do so. Last year was a nice turn out by the anglers, but was dwarfed in comparison to the WW community.

TDB,
What was that famous line in "The Godfather". "Keep your friends close but enemies closer". Kinda works here too.

Exactly Hendey!

It is a similar situation on the WB Delaware. I think some of the organizations up there have come to the realization that NYC doesn't care about the fishing community, however, there is a public safety concern with the residents that live below the dam. Our fishing organizations should (and are) piggy-back on the cries that these people are making for more substantial flows throughout the year and less hoarding of the water.

In that case we have 2 parties that want the same thing (more regular substantial flows) but for 2 different reasons.

On a side note - I hope the meeting went well. It pains me to see the trout fishing potential on ANY tailwater that isn't being reached.

What you have to realize is the amount of money gained every weekend by JTRA and Pocono Whitewater. Your not paying every time you hit the river like those ppl are, and money may not be the only motivation behind these releases but its a major contributor.

Share the water.

Who is not "sharing the river"?

I love how people jump on top right away. My exact words were "the rafters are there to stay" - I realize that. With that said, I think a better plan can be arranged where the rafters still have their deal and fishermen and trout still thrive as well. What is wrong with that?

TDB

You are 100% correct.... this is not about eliminating the WW community or releases completely. However, there has to be a happy medium. And right now with these "silly" flow plans, that is NOT the case. The Flow Plans are 90% geared toward rafting interests. No doubt there are limitations with how much the fishery can benefit from the Plans.

What one has to remember is "sharing" the water is not always an 50-50 allocation. It takes a lot more water to maintain and enhance an aquatic ecosystem that depends on that water 24/7/365 than it does to enhance WW recreation. As a result, the way the water is distributed is not equitable (IMO).

These Plans were never structured properly (IMO) from the beginning. The first priorty was rafting and how many releases they can jam into a season. Then, the agencies looked at how to best enhance the fishery with what water they have available.

Which, IMO, is flat out wrong. Nothing like making a personal playground at the expense of the aquatic life.

None-the-less, this all can be resolved and a better plan can be put together for greater benefit to the fishery all the while maintaining WW recreation.

I will post details on the meeting last night shortly.

Back