Lasting Effects of Connellsville Flood

F

fayettenamese

The incredible floods that we had in Connellsville at the end of august left 50 families homeless. All of the houses are marked with giant orange "x"s to be demolished. The community and many others have reached out to donate time, money, and resources.

How this relates to fly fishing.........(And I hope I am wrong about this)

The area of flood destruction didn't really affect any trout streams (except one very marginal wild trout stream). The floods stayed north of Connellsville, a few short miles from Dunbar creek FFO. However, while on a run up along the FFO yesterday, I noticed 4 brand new piles of trash dumped along the road/stream. These new piles are massive, containing a little bit of everything resembling the contents of a home. There's everything from clothes to appliances to sombreros to toys.....and the list goes on. I'm not a detective, but it seems fishy that right after a big flood a few short miles away, some residents brought the waterlogged and ruined contents of their home to their favorite dumping site, State Game lands 51 on the banks of Dunbar Creek. Trash is dumped here all year long, so the problem is not new, but I really hope that the people that received so much help from everyone else in the community and all over the state didn't return the favor by dumping their garbage along an otherwise pristine trout stream.

I have talked to some WCOs who have a building right along the stream and have suggested they put a surveillance camera on the dead end road where all the dumping occurs. It would pay for itself after one litterbug was caught and fined. The PGC wastes so many man hours investigating each littering incident. I talked with one WCO last year as he was filling out paper work for one such incident. They really do put a lot of time and effort into catching these people.

Sad to hear but not surprising because of it being a past problem like you said.

I think it's safe to say littering is a major problem in Fayette County in general, maybe more so than a lot of other counties. A buddy and I spent a few weekends last year checking out some Fayette Co. Class A blue lines. We drove on a lot of back mountain dirt roads in some of the most beautiful, classic PA mountain terrain I've seen yet. It'd be nothing to see a old tube TV and six garbage bags tucked in the mountain laurel, then a pile of car tires a hundred yards down the road, etc. A real shame. Hopefully it's a funding/staffing issue and they can get a better handle on it in the future. I imagine Dunbar will take a extra amount on with these floods. At some point you have to wonder if it'd be in the best interest to just put a couple big dumpsters by rifle range and eat the cost for a little while?

I was at Dunbar a few weeks back and noticed a lot of new trash as well along the road. I'll typically pick it up when I see it, but ****, when its a fridge and TV, thats a little harder to simply pack out.

Unfortunately, most of Fayette Co is a **** hole, so it doesnt surprise me they treat that area the way they treat the rest of the county.. Its a real shame because there is a LOT of beautiful areas in Fayette Co.

(Some) People suck!!!

#Fayettenam

So what happened?

pcray that was my first impulse but wanted to give some a break!!

Back