Lancaster Fly show

wbranch

wbranch

Don't know if this question has been asked already but I see the same organizer who puts on the Somerset show is having one in Lancaster in mid February. Might anyone here be able to venture a guess at how big it will be compared to the NJ show? 1/4 as big? 1/2 as big? what do you think? I was hesitating about going to the NJ show by myself and spending $50 on gas and another lunch. If this show is half as good I can be there in fifteen minutes and a gallon of gas. Thanks.

It will probably be close to the same size

Lancaster will be a bit smaller - especially in the way of the heavy hitters. Truthfully, based on what your situation is, I'd say just wait and hit Lancaster, unless you are sitting around in 2 weeks with nothing to do and $50 for gas...:)

I suspect it will be somewhat smaller than Somerset. I have never been to the Somerset show but went to Valley Forge last year and by all reports it was smaller than Somerset. Being the first year, I suspect it will be smaller. But its only 20 minutes for me and right up the street from where I work. So its Lancaster for me this year.

The organizer used to run a show in College Park, MD. It was held on the college campus in what appeared to be just a large hall. It was a good show and had lots of the manufacturers and fewer of the local Mom & Pop fly shops which was okay with me. I'd say it was about one half the size of Somerset and far less crowded which was also good. I was disappointed when it wasn't held about three years ago but now with the advent of a closer show I hope it does well so it will be back year after year.

Here's a link to the website for the show. Dates are February 18 and 19, 2012 at the Lancaster County Convention Center. Thanks for using our local facilities; if you stay in local lodging, you'll be helping subsidize the real estate :)

Before this post, I have to claim ignorance that it was coming to my home county. Can someone illuminate me on the benefits of paying $15.00 to attend the show?? Are the classes worth the time and money? Do the exhibitors give stuff away? I'm always suspicious of me having to pay someone or some entity, in order to have that entity turn around and use my captive audience to advertise to me. Exhibitors should fund the classes, in exchange for the traffic they generate to walk past their booths (IMO).

Let's face it, the purpose of shows like this is to make money. If you are looking to book a guide or buy new gear, it may be worth it; especially the latter with the demise of local fly shops. At least you can get a hands-on as to what you're buying. But I agree with you, it is like paying Costco for the privilege of shopping there.

I think the seminars and the chance to get to watch all the tiers is worth paying for admission. Now whether $15 is an acceptable admission is debatable.

anyone care to meet for breakfast before the show?

Are guys seriously questioning the $15. There are some cheap dudes on here!...LOL

Are guys seriously questioning the $15. There are some cheap dudes on here!...LOL

You should think before you speak. Some folks are retired and live on a fixed income. Maybe one day you will understand that.

Not many Shows compare in size and scope to Somerset. You will find many of the same exhibtors and if lucky find a deal or two that offsets the cost of admission.

Dot

Salvelinus wrote;

"Let's face it, the purpose of shows like this is to make money."

Uh, yes, the gentleman who rents the facility and gets all the exhibitors and fly shops to come shoud be entitled to make some income from his efforts.

$15.00 is not an exhorbitant fee for admission to see all the new gear, be able to feel and cast that rod you've been reading about but couldn't find locally. The Somerset show had interesting classes and pros and outfitters offering trips to out of state destinations. Other guys had slide or video presentations relative to all sorts of fly fishng related topics. Gives you something to do on a cold February weekend.

Can someone illuminate me on the benefits of paying $15.00 to attend the show?? Are the classes worth the time and money? Do the exhibitors give stuff away? I'm always suspicious of me having to pay someone or some entity, in order to have that entity turn around and use my captive audience to advertise to me. Exhibitors should fund the classes, in exchange for the traffic they generate to walk past their booths (IMO).

No, not worth it. Been to the Jersey show twice and can honestly say it was a disappointment both times. Manufacturers don't sell there, so if it is new enough that the mom & pops don't have it yet (very common) you can't get it there and the prices and selection at the vendor booths aren't impressive either. Seemed mostly like many vendors were peddling stuff they couldn't sell at their shops. I went last year with hopes of picking up some new tying materials I'd been reading about in magazines (and internet) for months and literally came home empty handed, except far a cane rod. The prior time I went (2004) it was the same (only bought magazine subscriptions).

Folks who use to go 12-15 years ago tell much different stories.

As for the crowds, UNBEARABLE! Hard to find a ruder bunch.

After having the show in Valley Forge last year, I think they just couldn't get the same location this year. They've tried getting it close to Philly on a few different occasions, but I suppose the places and prices weren't right. I don't know that for sure, but that's usually the way things go.
Thinking about it a little bit, I may actually goto Lancaster for the show, because the show in Somerset is so crowded, it's gard to get around. I think the show will be smaller, but I don't know anything about the Lancaster facitiy. In Valley Forge it was smaller.

Don't expect a lot of great deals. People put out the money for these shows to make money, and it is expensive to get a booth and get the stuff to the show. If the local shops have booths, they will have deals. Maybe some outfitters will

I like the smaller shows, such as the one in Valley Forge last year, and the show they had in Fort Washington several years back, and the Pittsburgh show.

It's less crowded and hectic, so there is more of a chance to talk to people, and to get to see what the tiers are doing.

Some of the classes have fees, but most of the talks are included in the price of admission. Last year at Valley Forge, I caught Ed Shenk's talk about the Letort, which was very enjoyable.

The smaller PA shows have more about PA and nearby, and less about fishing in Bora Bora and Patagonia, etc.

I do think before I speak. Bottom line, if someone can afford a computer and internet to be on this site and are complaining about $15 that is retarded..

$15.00 is not an exhorbitant fee for admission to see all the new gear, be able to feel and cast that rod you've been reading about but couldn't find locally. The Somerset show had interesting classes and pros and outfitters offering trips to out of state destinations. Other guys had slide or video presentations relative to all sorts of fly fishng related topics. Gives you something to do on a cold February weekend.

streamer-stripper wrote:
I do think before I speak. Bottom line, if someone can afford a computer and internet to be on this site and are complaining about $15 that is retarded..

As the original poster questioning the $15.00, I will assume that I am the individual you are referring to as retarded. I'm not someone who would be considered politically correct, but I do have friends with children that would fit under the general use of that word, and you might want to consider a vocabulary upgrade at some point.

As at least one other poster pointed out, $15.00 can be a lot on a fixed income. I'm not on a fixed income, and I can afford the $15.00. However, just because I have discretionary income doesn't mean I just drop $15.00 here and there on a whim; thats a good way to ensure that one doesn't have discretionary income. And there are ways to post on here without being able to afford Internet and a computer at home; libraries provide this service to constituents in the areas they serve, and good or bad (depending on how you view use of your work time), people have access to computers and Internet at work. If $15.00 is such an insignificant amount, I'll be glad to take that amount off of each board member's hands who feels that way :)

I reject the notion that just because someone puts together a show, that they "deserve" the right to make money. They only deserve the right to make money if at the end of the day, their income is greater than their expenses. If they choose to boost the income side by tacking on a $15.00 daily or $25.00/2 day admission fee, that's their business decision, but I won't be figuring into their income equation because I won't be buying a ticket. I'd charge no admission fee, increase the exhibitors fee by $100 each, and hope that I'd draw enough additional interest from everyone who could walk on the floor for free to offset the revenue lost by admission fees, which in turn means I can charge exhibitors more next year, and hopefully attract more exhibitors. For the casual fly-fisher, or someone just becoming interested in fly-fishing, I don't see many of them shelling out "just" $15.00 to go to the show.

For myself, I'm not a gear chaser (I buy closeout stuff (rods and packs) from Sierra Trading Post, so I'm a couple of years behind, but that helps with the discretionary income flow), and while I someday hope to go on a trip to an exotic location (Kamchatka, Tiera del Fuego, Alaska, Labrador for brookies), that won't be happening in the near future. So with the exception of meeting some additional board members, it looks like there's no compelling reason for me to go. I'll look at it as paying off just under half of my fishing license for the year. And I don't begrudge anyone that does go to the show and enjoys doing that. I'm most definitely not saying they're dumb for going to the show.

I'm not sure what the weather will be like in mid-February, but if there are any board members going to the show interested in fishing local waters, I'd be game to try and get out on a stream.

a few of us are headed over to Annie B's for lunch time cheer...

be nice to meet some folks, if you're so inclined...

Get the brisket sandwich at annie b's. They have a good beverage selection there.

Back