Just when you thought you see it ALL !!!

Fredrick

Fredrick

While I was fishing today I saw this :-o At first I thought it was a leaf hanging by a spider web . Now I have heard about this happening before but to see one like this dead hanging from a tree branch hooked in the mouth WOW

Thats my fly rod in the try by the way I put it there to take the picture

Always around and chasing my fly in the summer months, it never happened to me until this year on Fishing creek. And then it happened again at the very same spot. Theres just no fun way to unhook them.

I get harrassed by them on the Yough about 30 minutes before dark. I usually do my best to ignore them, but one time my reaction to one flying straight toward my face was to put my rod up in defense and he wacked right into it, knocked himself out and fell into the water. I think I muttered something like "that'll teach you, you summana beach" and then kept on fishing.

I had one nail a bass plug one time. He kept flying around with it until I reeled him in. I had to cut one arm off the trebel to get him off. Amazing how much the little guys can lift, all wings and little bodies.

Fred,
That's insane i've fished around bats and had them dive near my flies but never had a bat take one.I've caught other species of birds over the years,but never a bat.

Being an old guy, I have caught and released quite a number of bats over the years. I usually try to cut the tippet off several inches above the bat and then put the bat along the side of the stream. It certainly is a weird sensation to be playing a flying bat in the near dark.

I was fishing Spring Cr. a few years ago for sulphers, had one hit me in the chest and fall into my hands as I was tying on a big hopper to finish the night with. Always thougth those things had a kind of sonar, it's wasn't working or I'm the thinnest 300 lb guy out there??

JH

All that matters is when you hook one, you play it quickly.

Quick enough that it should fly away with ease.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/broncobrookies/021.jpg
Caught this guy just last night during whats left of the white flies at the Breeches. I know, all I had left was a light green drake but it worked on the fish also as brown drake spinners were making a good showing.

Usually my first indicator that its time to get off the water...hate those freekin' flyin' rodents...

Judging by the look of things, landing a bat isn't a rare event... :-o

Unfortunately, I've also hooked my share of bats over the years.
One time, - on the Provo River on Utah - the bat was quite docile for some reason, and kind of laid still on the ground. My buddy walked up to it and gently pinned it to the ground with his boots.
I then actually removed the hook with my hemostats.
But most of the time, they keep fluttering around like crazy until you break or cut the tippet - what else are you going to do?

I've caught 2 bats. Unhooked them wrapped them in something to dry them out and warm them up, stuffed the bundle in a pocket and let them go after I was done fishing. Both of my unfortunate furry flying rodent flew away OK.

Maybe its because it is dark, but I have always had trouble getting them on the stringer.

I actually beamed one once w/ my fly rod on Spring. I think that was the same night that a stupid duck kept going after my sulfur.

ryanh wrote:
Maybe its because it is dark, but I have always had trouble getting them on the stringer.

I actually beamed one once w/ my fly rod on Spring. I think that was the same night that a stupid duck kept going after my sulfur.

Sooner deal with the bat any day than a hooked duck. Waterfowl are bigger, stronger and can be really nasty!

I've never caught a bat, but have had several hit my rod as they flew by.

I have caught several swallows and one seagull.

You get so used to lifting your rod to fight a fish, that it is a very strange feeling to be pulling down to reach your leader.

While fishing last weekend I had a dragonfly land on my rod...OK very common, but then he tried about 12 times to fly away with my elk hair caddis!!
That is a new one for me.

I've had dragonflies do similar things by attacking my flies.
I've never caught a bat, but I try really hard to avoid it; have whipped a couple with my rod though.

Back