Jams

sandfly

sandfly

Seems everytime theres a JAM, the weather goes sour. :-x I wanted to go out for turkey and its rainin and blowin..Dang jammers ruined another weekend. Hope they are catchin somthin but the rain doesn't look good. :p

I think Saudi Arabia should pay us to hold a Jam there. They'll turn into a rain forest.

Really or afganistan, it will flush all the crap away..

From my own experience this type of weather is when you do the best on Steelhead.

the tribs are chocolate milk raging roaring streams from the pics i saw tonight , definitely not good fishing

Wasn't my fault this time. I stayed home and coached a football game in the mud.

Hopefully for those guys the tribs start to come down and turn into more ideal conditions. Sounds like today/tomorrow should be ideal.

Dateline Monessen:

Just starting to have the coffee kick in and wanted to offer an early report on the Steelhead Mini-Jamboree. My first comment is that I might not be justified in adding "Mini" to the Jamboree name. Just from Saturday morning donut gathering, we counted around 14 board members, and a couple more guests of the members. I think that number grew by the time Greg (Albatross) and I headed home from Avonia Tavern last night.

The fishing stunk for me and most others on Saturday. Only 3-4 fish were legally caught and landed among everyone who accurately reported their catch for the day. There were a number of other hook ups among those attending. Perhaps photos (of which I have none) will prove me wrong.

Because Greg and I had to come home last night, the best fishing will probably be today. I wish them the best of luck. Even with the bad fishing, I had a blast meeting up with so many new board participants, but also a few old friends as well.

We met Ed (Heritage Angler), Dave (Fishidiot) and Gene (Handle escapes me) at Avonia Tavern Friday evening. After dinner and drinks for a couple hours, we all retired to out motels and met again Saturday morning at the pavillion at Folly's End Campground.

We BS'ed at the pavillion, waiting for daybreak and for an hour or two and tried to fish Elk at Folly's. The leaves were horrendous and though the river was wadable and fishable, it was barely so, and within an hour, Greg, Jason and I headed downstream to appease me and my hair-brained idea that we could "beat the flow" downstream.

To Greg's amazement and my surprise (not sure how Jason reacted as we just met and he didn't comment), the water was low and fairly clear with at least a good 24-30 inches visibility. we got 2.5 hours or so of decent fishing conditions before the flow rose and became accessively murky.

At this point, we ran into several more of our larger group and retired for lunch and plan modification. We ended up at 16 Mile and the conditions again were fishable and appeared to improve all the way until near-dark.

Additional names I recall from the day's activities include, Matt (Bruno) and his non-posting nephew Charlie, JasonS, goodfortune, Ryan (ryguyfly), tig, Jerry/Gerry (skybay), Nello, gzaccky, jrcll (not sure?), Dan (Squaretail), for dinner sat., Millertime, GoldenFly (not sure?), groove790 (not sure?).

Seems Ryan carried the ball on this and Ed as well. Good job guys! I hope the addition of one more day brings new participants and great stories and pictures to share.

There are brown trout in the middle east.

I stopped over at folly "s about 9am. Sunday. I hoped to meet up with you all but did not. Saturday Morning I had practice and after crossing Elk at 79 turned around.
crb

tomgamber wrote:
Wasn't my fault this time. I stayed home and coached a football game in the mud.

Can't blame me either, Im sitting here at home, in the warm, dry house!

PaulG

Better luck everyone!

Yeah. I was bummed that I couldn't go, but I'm pretty happy that I didn't now. It would have been nice to hang out with everyone, but that drive is absolutely horrific. Two friends headed up and said conditions were bad.

Maybe if change the name the rains will not come . How about calling it a conclave .

I went thursday and conditions were great. I hit it just right - it usually doesnt happen like that! Hope someone caught some fish.

the fishing was great today as far as i know heritage caught 3 or 4 between jason s and ryguyfi they hooked everyfish in the stream i didnt really hear a number for either of them but im sure it was big i hooked 4 landed 2 and tig hooked one and landedn another but it was an awesome day to fish all day im signing off for now

I don't mean to brag, but I really got into a honey hole this morning. I met up with greg after I left millertime and goldenfly and just put on a clinic. I landed 5 fish in about an hour and a half in one hole and missed many others. I got stuck on trying to get that large fish and he took all my attention. I finally hooked him as everyone was leaving but to no avail, he put up the fight I was expecting him to.

My tally for the day was 7 landed, and lost probably close to 20. I had a great outing. It was a good to meet up with everyone and look forward to making this an annual event. I will post some of my pictures later.

Ryan

Bruno, Squaretail, a couple other fellows, and I hit Sixteen Mile this morning. Water was down to a good level, 51 degrees F and clear. Fishing was pretty good. Bruno did very well early in the morning. I managed 5 and lost at least as many (kept one for the smoker). I had to hit the road by lunchtime - Squaretail and Dave fished for the rest of the day and ought to be able to add some more details. Wish I could have stayed longer. I'll post some pics later.

Looks like Sunday was the banner day for catching. Wish I could have been there today. I see in the pic thread that FlipNFLy (Nello) and JasonS got their first steelhead. From this thread I see that FishIdiot (Dave) got his first too. I hope GoodFortune (Mike) got his first today as well. Charlie was with Bruno and I'm sure he got into some fish today.

I know SkyBay (Gene) had to Leave Saturday without getting his first. Get them next time Gene.

Yes; I landed two for the day. I had at least 3 break offs, and quite a few misses. I am absolutely amazed at both the strength and stamina that steelhead have!

It was great to meet and fish with everyone at the Jam. I'm really glad that I came, and look forward to getting together with you all again. Good night everyone :)

That honey hole that ryan is talking about is the hole I gave him. ;) I had a blast, I hooked into my first steelhead on Saturday at 16 mile but broke him off. Then Sunday I hooked at least 12 and finally landed one. I kept him for the smoker. It was great meeting you guys and fishing for two days. I look forward to the next time! Here are some pics of my fish.

Attachments

• 100_3467.JPG
    100_3467.JPG
    841.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_3468.JPG
    100_3468.JPG
    773.2 KB · Views: 4
Back