It Finally Happend To Me

MKern

MKern

Well, I know in the past I've talked about never falling in above my waders, but on Friday it finally happened.

The section of creek I was at always has extremely slippery rocks and can be 6" deep in one spot and 1 step away is 3 feet deep.

So I was approaching the best holding water for large browns and face first. I knew I was going to go and on my way down I managed to lay the rod down. I fell into the push-up position, so I was able to spring rigth back up, but no before a couple cups of water flooded my waders, Down's, and my side pouches.

I guess I should have changed my studs like I had been planning for weeks.

Being a true warrior, I continued to fish -- the water was quite refreshing actually.

No lost gear, flies all dried out when I got home, camera and phone were still dry and working -- I got off easy.

So far this is the first season I haven't gone in over my head. But I didn't fish the Lehigh River this year. The section just below the reservoir is worth a dunk or two each trip.

MKern, Glad you are ok and nothing lost/broken. But I had to chuckle a bit (sorry). Last time that happened to me I was in so deep that I was doing the doggy paddle.

fritz, not need to appologize. I thought it was quite funny too. that's why I stayed and kept fishing. I was only ticked about my flies getting wet.

For me, it comes down to basic physics. Water is denser than air. When walking through the air, and I trip, i stumble forward and usually catch myself with my feet, if not my hands on the way down. In water, surging upstream at speed, there's too much resistance to stumble with the same timing I use in the atmosphere, not to mention that the hands will not enter into it without a wading stick involved. And I don't carry one. So, when wading, I try to accurately predict my stumbles so I can start the recovery prior to the actual stumbling. I haven't worked out the timing yet. Slipping is not nearly as predictable. Saving the rod on the way down indicates keen awareness of the situation.

I recently slipped into less than 6-8 inches of water and still got water down my waders. My feet went out from under me, I tossed my rod into the brush as I was going down, and my butt slunk down into a shallow little pool far enough for the water to lip up over the back of my waders, which were not strapped over my shoulder but, rather, loosely bound with a belt around my waist. Funny how fast water can move when it's intent is to wet something that's dry. But that was in August and it was refreshing, once the embarrassment wore off.

MKern,
Glad you're okay. I think sometimes falling down and getting off okay is a good and humbling reminder to be careful wading - a bit like the occasional close call when driving - serves as a reminder to be careful and alert.

I didn't take a dunk above the waders this year, but I took quite a few that were close calls. I usually brush it off, swear like a sailor, and keep fishing. A close call or two per year is good for you, like fishidiot said.

I've done the "sliding on ice" thing before -- atleast that's what I call it. (where you can't catch your footing and splash around, with arms and legs everywhere)

It was a reminder -- a reminder to change my studs.

You are right, I always tread a little more gingerly after a near spill.

Glad you're Ok. Wet is wet. Cold is cold. Anything else sucks worse.

Back