Is This Legal in PA?

thedude1534

thedude1534

Thinking about going to a secluded wild brown/brookie stream this weekend. Since I will have to hike a few miles to get to a good location, ideally, I would like to hike in, then set up camp by the stream. The stream is located on State Game Lands. Is it legal to set up camp in a place like this? I would have one tent, a stove, and thats it, maybe a small fire (obviously no fire if conditions remain dry). I would stay one or two nights, dependant on the weather.

Dude,
You are not permitted to camp on state game land. You are permitted to camp on state forest though.

Troy

I'd call my local fish officer and ask about some secluded hike in and camp possibilities.

When I need to spend a night by the water, it's usually with some beverages and a box of chicken livers soaking in the schuylkill or tully spillway.

Part of the creek goes out of State Game Lands....If that section is not on posted private property, would it still be illegal to set up camp there?

The wise move is ALWAYS to get in touch with the landowner. Simply because not doing so could lead to the land becoming posted private property.

good point! also check with the game commision or pfbc. they will be happy to answer these questions and could steer you the the landowner to ask him/her. always best to check!

Squaretail wrote:
The wise move is ALWAYS to get in touch with the landowner. Simply because not doing so could lead to the land becoming posted private property.

Good advice squaretail. I don't know why so many people think if land is not posted, then it is OK for anyone to use the land as you please. This is not the case. Private property is still private whether it is posted or not. Fishing is one think, but camping? As a land owner, I know if i found someone camping on my property without permission, I'd toss them off. If they gave me any lip, they would be leaving a lot lighter than they arrived. They would more than likely get their stuff back (I'm not a thief), but it would require them to bring law enforcement. On the other hand, if they asked first, I'd probably let them, and suggest where to camp.

It's not legal to camp on state gamelands. There is no point in calling the Game Commission. You simply are not permitted to camp on state gamelands at all, ever, under any circumstances. That's their rule.

You can camp on state forests. Call the state forest district and they'll give you the particulars of where you can camp, where you can't etc.

Sorry for the confusion, but I naver meant to give the impression that I would plan on sneaking onto someone's private unposted property to camp. When I said "If that section is not on posted private property, would it still be illegal to set up camp there?" I meant that if the land is not owned by a private party, would it be legal.

I have been informed by some of my co-workers that this is North East America, there is no such thing as un-owned land in these parts.

That being the case I think I'm going to play it safe and set up camp in a state forrest nearby. It means I'll have to drive to the stream, which is lame, but I guess there is nothing I can do. I've been to this section before, and its a Wilderness Class A. There are no houses anywhere close to the stream, so asking a land owner for permission will be pretty tough.

I'm trying to get in touch with the PFBC officer for the area, to see if he might know some people who I could ask permission from.

Be a scofflaw for crying out loud. If you get caught, play dumb or run like mad.

JackM wrote:
Be a scofflaw for crying out loud. If you get caught, play dumb or run like mad.

Off the record: I wouldn't do that on private property, but I would on the gamelands. Oh, how terrible of me (some might think).

It is like a traffic law. We all break traffic laws nearly every day, but we weigh the odds of getting stopped. At least if you get caught camping on state game lands, you won't get any points on your license. It can't be all that hard to pull off without getting caught. I mean, it isn't like you are dragging a 31 foot travel trailer in there. Of course you need to be careful of where you park your car.

Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you get caught. for the record, I was joking. One should never break any laws. ;-)

FarmerDave wrote:
JackM wrote:

Off the record: I wouldn't do that on private property, but I would on the gamelands. Oh, how terrible of me (some might think).

It is like a traffic law. We all break traffic laws nearly every day, but we weigh the odds of getting stopped. At least if you get caught camping on state game lands, you won't get any points on your license. It can't be all that hard to pull off without getting caught. I mean, it isn't like you are dragging a 31 foot travel trailer in there. Of course you need to be careful of where you park your car.

Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you get caught. for the record, I was joking. One should never break any laws. ;-)

Um, yeah, I've slept out under the stars a few times on state gamelands. Not recommending it either, but...

Don't camp on private land without permission though. That's one way that land gets posted. And I think your chances of getting permission from a private landowner to camp are slim. If they would allow camping they'd soon have all kinds of problems. I'd just be thankful they allow people walk in there and fish.

But there are lots of places on state forest land where you can hike trail systems, camp in the backcountry and fish. You could do that all summer without running out of places. Black Forest Trail, Susquehannock Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Chuck Keiper Trail etc.

Do this backpacking and fishing stuff while you're young and have the stamina.

Nobody mentioned it yet, but you can also camp pretty much anywhere on National Forest land, too.

Backpack camping is all I do. No car camping for me, unless I have no choice. I have a 1 person tent, a stove, and a small backpack, that's all I would take in with me.

Thanks for the trail names Tom, I'll be sure to check them out, thats pretty much where I'm looking for. Somewhere where I can hike in 5-6 miles, set up a base camp, and spend a few days fishing dawn till dusk with little human interaction.

The dude,
Jack broke the ice so i'll say my peace. If you are self contained in a back pack then have at it. Unless your choice of campsite is right next to the road or a building there is NO WAY that they can catch you.

Something about having to ask permision from the state to go camping grates my arse!

When I lived in the Sierras to go by the book you had to have a (1) permit, and drop off an (2) itenerary, and (3)contact numbers of family and friends. You could not bring any(4) firearms, (5)alcohol, or (6)glass. You had to (7)pack out any human waste, and were not permitted to (8) have any type of fire.

Kinda takes the fun out of "wild blue younder" does it not?

troutbert wrote:
It's not legal to camp on state gamelands. There is no point in calling the Game Commission. You simply are not permitted to camp on state gamelands at all, ever, under any circumstances. That's their rule.

You can camp on state forests. Call the state forest district and they'll give you the particulars of where you can camp, where you can't etc.

That's not entirely true. Here in Dauphin County, SGL 211 has the Appalachian Trail running through it. I'm told if there is an official trail, like the AT or one of the other excellent hiking trails in PA, you can camp while hiking these. However, you have to be within 100' of the trail, start your hike at least a day outside the SGL and continue at least a day beyond it. How that is enforceable I don't know.

thedude1534 wrote:
Backpack camping is all I do. No car camping for me, unless I have no choice. I have a 1 person tent, a stove, and a small backpack, that's all I would take in with me.

Thanks for the trail names Tom, I'll be sure to check them out, thats pretty much where I'm looking for. Somewhere where I can hike in 5-6 miles, set up a base camp, and spend a few days fishing dawn till dusk with little human interaction.

Tom? It's Troutbert. But there are lots of places to do this.

If you want to hike around rugged, remote country try the southern block of Sproul Forest. That's the section south of the West Branch Susquehanna River. Lots of small but good wild trout streams, not many fisherman. Quite a workout hiking around in there because the slopes are steep. You can use the Chuck Keiper trail for some of it, or make up your own routes.

The Hammersley Wild Area is real nice for backpacking and fishing. Not nearly as steep. You can hike way back in, especially if you fish Bell and Nelson Branch. The headwaters of Hammersley itself is pretty good. The lower end isn't very good.

The Quehanna Trail in Moshannon Forest is remote and rugged too. The streams in that area are infertile so they've been hit by acid rain, but some are still decent brookie fishing. About as close to a howling wilderness as you'll find in PA.

To plan these kinds of trips, get the forest maps, they have the trails on them. You can order them from the state forest people in Harrisburg. Or if you're leaving soon, pick them up at a state park when you get in the area. Have fun.

I am with Jack and Ryan on this one. I've been rousted from a camp site a couple of times in my younger days when I was out west. The cops were always very nice. Once they even drove us out to a place where it was legal to camp and it turned out to be a much better spot.

Some rules are to be broken

i second camping next to the stream your gonna fish, i think the chances are pretty low you'd get caught. besides id rather get caught by the game commission than a crazy mountain man with a rusty 12 gauge whose property i camped on.

Just to avoid being misunderstood, let me suggest you think long and hard about why camping is not permitted in the place you intend to go and then try to prevent creating or encountering the problems the prohibition is aimed at. If you decide to chance it, leave no trace. Pack up when you wake up, keep your gear with you or gathered and stached. I wouldn't build a fire unless you absolutely needed one; if you do, keep it small and contained and near a water source so you have a means to extinguish it fully when you no longer need it. If there are warnings regarding fires, don't build one at all; come out of the woods instead. I probably don't need to warn you about the danger that might be caused in dry conditions. Again, leave no trace. If I hiked deep into a state gameland, forest property or even along private lands that were secluded and couldn't find my way out of the woods, I would consider it smart planning to have had gear needed to spend the night in relative safety.

Back