Interesting day on the Letort

MattBoyer

MattBoyer

So, this past Thursday the wife asks me if it will be OK if she and the kids aren't home until bedtime. "Well, I guess that would be alright honey........" is my response, trying to stop the grin, knowing that I will be getting off work around 5 and it is supposed to rain in Carlisle that afternoon. My thoughts immediately turn to the Letort after a thunderstorm and I'm trying to figure out how many ant patterns I have in my box. Not enough, but I think I'm gonna make it.

I struggle through that day at work trying to contain myself and finally it is afternoon. I make the drive, which seems like an hour even though I could probably drive a golf ball there if I got a good skip off the road. I sat at the bridge at Bonnybrook tying on a new leader just basking in the wonderful warmth of the afternoon and trying to slow myself down a bit. I decide I am going to head downstream to the meadows somewhere past the trestle.

I hadn't walked more than 100 yards when I realized that

A)There will be no rain on this day and-

B)It's hot as heck out!

I stopped at the trestle bridge to toy with a few smallish trout there, which, to my surprise, acted like other trout that I had seen before. I didn't catch any, but they didn't hear me coming or know my name and that of my wife and kids before I got there. They were trout, and acted as such. This is a breakthrough for me on this stream. Trout acting like trout. Weird. Ten or fifteen casts later they got bored with me and moved a little deeper, so I decided they wanted a break.

I walked a little further down the trail until I was behind the stone house at the end of Houser lane and saw a decent spot to get to the stream. It was a fairly wide trail and it looked like it had been used pretty well, so I confidently made my way down. I had gone about 50 feet when it started to get deep. "It can't be this deep the whole way" I think to myself, and proceed to push through. It was... and then some. My left leg met no resistance on my next step and my right leg was sitting on it's knee and I was quite stuck. I tried to pull my leg out and fell forward while sinking a few inches deeper. Crap. I've got maybe three inches of wader left at this time, tops. Panic set in for a second as I tried to remember every survival manual and course that I had ever taken and if they mentioned this situation. The one common thing from all of them that came to my mind was "relax, come up with a plan and follow through with it". At the risk of filling up my waders, which wasn't the evil no-no in this situation that it would be in moving water, I lean forward and "swim" holding on to vegetation and pulling myself out. Whew. That was scary.

I looked upstream a bit and saw a tree next to the creek a few yards away. Tree=solid ground 9 times out of 10 time so I regrouped and got my nerves back together under the tree and really had an appreciation for my surroundings and how beautiful the place was. A cloud passed overhead allowing me a glimpse of the world under the crystal clear mirror and once again, there were trout, acting like trout. I watched them for about 30 minutes, took a few casts and headed back to my car, with no trout, but a full day's experience under my belt and having learned more than a couple things. I'll share the story of my encounter with a fairly shady dude who was sitting by my car when I got back on a later day, as this was a fairly big life lesson, too, but I'll chalk that up to a "Carlisle experience" and not a "Letort experience".

Boyer

Attachments

• Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 7
Nice little story there Matt, thanks...

By the way, I'm still grillin' those dogs you got me, one of these days I'll ask for more and have to pick them up on a fishing visit.

John

Hey Matt, can you give me direction on where to fish the letort. Im from Mechanicsburg area and been wanting to fish letort but i don't know where to go. I know it runs through Carlisle but not sure where to start

steve2u42 wrote:
Hey Matt, can you give me direction on where to fish the letort. Im from Mechanicsburg area and been wanting to fish letort but i don't know where to go. I know it runs through Carlisle but not sure where to start

Steve, I'm far from your guy on that note. The only place I have fished on it is from Bonnybrook road off of South Hanover Street. I've been working in that area since the winter and I have only fished the creek 4 or 5 times. I actually live about an hour away. That being said, there are a few on this board who were kind enough to show me around and I'm sure once they see this thread they'll point you in the right direction.

Boyer

JF_ wrote:
Nice little story there Matt, thanks...

By the way, I'm still grillin' those dogs you got me, one of these days I'll ask for more and have to pick them up on a fishing visit.

John

You'd better hurry up or we'll be fishing for trout on the upper Swattie instead of smallies down low. :p

Boyer

That's a Spring bro. & yeah- that crap is way deep. There are others too. Watch where you walk. Seriously. I almost disappeared into a few of those places over the years too. Once up to my armpits & way scared- still don't like to think about it.

Tell the story about the shady guy, those types of stories are always funny

Glad your still among the living.

timmyt wrote:
Tell the story about the shady guy, those types of stories are always funny

Perhaps on another day, but I will say it wasn't funny and I'm pretty sure I lucked into not being jumped by a little planning on my behalf.

Boyer

I'm with Timmy T......story!, story!......

hijack thread alert.

Speaking of shady dudes, that reminds me of of the time that Govtmule and I were fishing up at Hayes Creek in the Poconos and we were approached by a shady character that noticed our nice fly rods. He said "if you guys weren't so big I would probably take those rods from you . . ." I think we laughed it off as a joke, but somehow I doubt it was.

I'll share the story of my encounter with a fairly shady dude who was sitting by my car when I got back on a later day, as this was a fairly big life lesson, too, but I'll chalk that up to a "Carlisle experience" and not a "Letort experience".

Boyer

Ran into a fairly shady dude the same place in early
June. Came back to my car after fishing a couple hours and there he was. Looked like he was on Meth or something. Needless to say i am 6'5 250lbs. When he saw that, he didn't have much to say. He was definetly there for a reason though! I was ready to go! Glad it worked out for you. :)

Matt,
I too have stepped in a couple muck holes along the upper Letort over the years. I seem to recall about 20 years ago a fisherman died of a heart attack when he got stuck in some mud along Letort. While I've never had any trouble myself, there was a couple car break-ins at the Bonnybrook parking lot some years ago.
Stuff to be aware of.

The other year there was a guy named Hank camped off the little tributary at bonnybrook. He was temporarily homeless and I stumbled upon his little campground behind the property at bonny brook.

Ran into some trouble makers about two years ago on the opposite bank from the heritage parking. Three rough lookin' guys and a woman partyin' at the 81 overpass. A lady came along walking her dog and they made some comments toward her which werent very gentleman like. They stopped her and I explained that I had only just met them and was on my way out, and she walked out with me. They way they were acting, the one guy in particular had me on edge and I was glad to get out of there without something happening. I was parked at the dead end by the school and got a ticket for being one foot too close to a hydrant. Seeing a cop writing a ticket at my car pissed me off so much I forgot to mention the druggies back at the overpass. If I was on my game I might said "you rip up that ticket and I'll point you towards several violations". By the look of him I don't think he'd have been up to the challenge anyway.
The old guy there calls the cops on any one parking near his part of the street.

what do you mean by shady? i was just waiting for you to leave so i could take a leak

gutcutter wrote:
what do you mean by shady? i was just waiting for you to leave so i could take a leak

Not that I would have taken any, but at least you could've offered some of your meth.....:p

Boyer

I thought I was the only one to get stuck in the mud like a ground sloth at the La Brea Tar Pits

Back