In a van down by the river

klingy

klingy

So I'm going to a buddy's cabin of mine this fall in Clinton county for a non-fishing trip. I figured that since I was going to be up there anyway, I'd make the trip a day early, sleep in my car overnight, and get up early and have a day to fish before I meet up with my friends. Last time I was up in the area, I noticed some dispersed campsites along some of the roads in Sproul State forest. I'd love to stay in one of those for the night, but here's where I'm running into difficulty.

1) anyone know of a map of the dispersed campsites on state forest land? A couple I saw were numbered, so I'm guessing there is a list somewhere. I've combed the dcnr site to no avail.

2) do I need a permit? From what I've read online, I do need a permit on SF lands if I'm using my car as a sleeping location, but it's not really clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to stay up around the young woman's creek / renovo area. I know I can call the district office, but I thought I'd try here first.

thanks!

I would advise calling the phone number for the nearest state forestry unit. They will guide you to the right place. I have always found them quite helpful. Enjoy.

Yeah, pretty sure you need a permit. You have to call. It's not really a difficult process though. A phone call will get you started.

I'd guess you'd call Sproul SF and ask about the campsites, and yes you need a camping permit.

If you are going to hunt then ignore this. But....after Oct 5 is archery for deer until mid November. And small game comes in a bit later. Take an orange hat at least.

A permit is required unless you are wilderness or backpack camping. Per,it's are available by contacting the park office during business hours at (570) 923-6011.

I was looking st the map online, but did not find a legend annotation for established camp sites. I'm sure the park office can help you find a location which will meet your needs.

Definitely call the local forestry office. I know there is a map availible for the established campsites in the Tuscarora, picked it up at the office, but have never seen one for any of the other forests. And yeah, you should have a permit for car camping, but if you're just passing thru overnight...ymmv.

Someone had to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hyner Run state park is another option.

If you are in the area, take the time to drive up to the vista on Hyner Mountain. One of the most scenic viewpoints in the state. Maybe number one.

+1 to Hyner Run state park
It's a purdy place.

First off, thanks to everyone who gave tips and input - greatly appreciated. And jake, I was waiting for someone to post that.

So I called the district forestry office today, and here's what I found out in case anyone was wondering, or for future reference. The very nice, helpful gentleman I spoke with informed me that the designated sites were all near streams, and they are only to be used by small campers with self-contained toilet units. Makes sense. He said that they used to allow car camping there, but a few bad apples ruined it when they would leave trash, food, toilet paper (used of course), and other undesirables near the sites, which of course made its way into the streams. He did tell me that I could spend an evening at one of the numerous pull offs along some higher terrain in the forest. I just need to call back with tag #, the date of when I'll be staying, and the location I'd like to park. Easy enough. I have my choices narrowed down, but now I just need to figure out exactly where I'd like to stay...

Good info klingy - my guess would be that the regulations may be interpreted differently in different ranger districts. For instance, a number of years ago, we stopped at the Hillsdale Ranger Station. I can't remember what the forest in that region was called back then (Wyoming?) but now its the Loyalsock forest region. Anyway, we chatted it up with one of the rangers and he asked what we were doing. We said we were headed up to hike the Loyalsock trail and he proceeded to require us to get a permit to camp. It didn't matter that we were backcountry camping, at no spot more than a night and we pointed that specific reg out to him. He insisted we fill out the paperwork anyway.

In this day of GIS, there may be a database somewhere that the state has, listing "improved" campsites in state forest areas, but if it exists, they have not released the data. I think that the way the campsites evolved, areas that attracted car campers then became more formal pull-offs, with stone base put down, and maybe some larger stones placed somewhere as a deterrent to off-roading campers. Campsites are a curious thing, whether by the road or out in the middle of nowhere. A rudimentary ring of stones gets built upon, year after year. The ground gets packed down, and over the years, an established campsite becomes developed. I often wonder who may have camped at a spot long, long ago. Sometimes, even in the middle of the woods, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ever sleep at a given spot.

We throw down in ANF for Opening Day each year; their regs for non-developed campsites are pretty loose, although a Forest Service guy told us that in upcoming years, they will be enforcing a reg that requires a campsite to be occupied if someone sets it up. I guess the idea is to discourage squatters, but no problem for us, as we usually go out a few days early and fish for wild char and trout. Some folks who throw down a tent weeks in advance might be disappointed to come out Friday afternoon and find it confiscated..

Back