If money was an object where would you go?

Acristickid

Acristickid

Since it is never too early to think about the next big trip. I am trying to get some ideas where to go.

Where would you go if you could?

The requirements are:

1.Fishing for Trout/Salmon.
2.Can't cost more than $1500 total. (including airfare)
3.Can't be longer than 1 week.
4.Not in the state of PA.

There will be 4 of us to split food,lodging costs.

I personally would like somewhere for solitude (but not camping since I do not want to take all the gear) and getting into alot of trout. Don't need overly big fish though.

(*my ideas don't fly too well with my buddies since two of them want big fish)

I appreciate your ideas and opinions in advance. Thanks

1500 per person or total? You can get to Boise for about 300 these days...I can get you into half a dozen great day trips and one-nighters from there. But only via PM. (I'll give away my secret stream but not someone else's) Some have big fish some have many and most will not be crowded. It'll depend on how much you spend on accommodations...

I'm not a big trip-taker, so I couldn't make specific recommendations, but I'd share some fantasies as food for thought, but would need more info:

1. As Tom asked, $1500 each or all together?
2. All fly anglers?
3. Mostly dry fly fishing, mostly wet?
4. What time of year do you want to go?

Idaho.

When I graduate, I might have to ask you for some locations, Tom.

Now if money was NO object....

Argentina, hands down.

Alberta is on my list of places to go. I haven't done a lot of research, but the Bow and Ram rivers quickly come to mind. Of course I haven't been there yet, so its all still a fantasy for me.

Airfare? That's no fun! You don't get to see all the good stuff between here and there.

Anyway, couple places that I think would be cool (although I don't know anything about planning a trip there).

I'd love to go to Maine. I would care if I were fishing the backcountry for brookies in little ponds or the coast for stripers. I just think Maine would be awesome.

I'd love to fish the finger lakes for landlocked Atlantic salmon. That would be cool. I here the bass are good in the summer too.

I'd like to go to Florida when those big largemouth bass were in the shallows and looking up. I just wouldn't want to go in the middle of summer... wooo that'd be tooooo hot!

The big tailwaters in Arkansas would be cool. Rivers like the White have some HUGE trout.

OK. $1500 each. All flyfishers. And would love to drive but only have a week. The trip could be anytime after mid-June of 2008.

Heading to the South Platte in October for this years trip. thx

I'd probably go for lake run browns somewhere around lake Ontario. Another possibility would be lake run trout in one of the other lakes. Superior or Huron, maybe (both less crowded). Lake run brookies would be real nice. Each will also get you into the earlier salmon runs.

Some day.

FarmerDave wrote:
.... Another possibility would be lake run trout in one of the other lakes. Superior or Huron, maybe (both less crowded). ....

Not anymore, blabbermouth! :-D :-o :cool: :-o :p :-o

:lol:

that is why I posted 3, to spread out the pressure. those lakes are small you know. :-D

Here's my three, no stream names, just areas.
1.) YNP after Labor Day, Everything is cheaper that time of year and the fishing is less crowded and pretty damn good IMHO.
2.) The Smokies. Not going to give any advice about this place here. Too many PaFlyFish anglers go there!!
3.) The Cattskills in NY.

From your avatar, I see you have been to YNP, theres just so much fishing out there that you can go back a dozen times and fish new water everytime! And the rates go way down after Labor Day, been there 4 times and my first two trips combined were just over $1600.

JH

Go for those large Brookies in Quebec.

The Pere Marquette River as a destinaton. King salmon in the Fall, steelhead in Spring, large browns in the Summer.

Baldwin, MI as the hub town. Lodging, food & drink, fly shops, guide service, etc.

You can drive from PA in 10-12 hrs,

FarmerDave wrote:
.... Another possibility would be lake run trout in one of the other lakes. Superior or Huron, maybe (both less crowded). ....

Not anymore, blabbermouth! :-D :-o :cool: :-o :p :-o

That got me laughing!!!! :lol: :lol:

anyway...Mid June is when these were taken

Just fantasizing a bit... for something big you could head to Russia for taimen. I hear they put a nice bend in your rod. For something a little closer to home, look into the Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP in California. You could hike up to the golden trout wilderness area.

Steve

Townsend,Montana-first 3 weeks of Oct..The latter best.Fish the upper Missouri where the really serious big trout fishermen go but say the Yellowstone,Madison,Big Hole to throw the touristas off.It takes at least a five pounder there to be a trophy,eight pounds to brag and I saw a 19 pound football caught there.[true]' somebody using sucker meat.Big Browns coming out of Canyon Ferry to spawn.Not unusual to catch five or six 4pd plus in a very early morning try.

You see, I think many of you are misreading the title as I did the first time...money IS an object ...not ...money is NOT an object.

Ah,but the question was where would you go.Not where should the poster go.
So I would fly to Bozeman or Helana,Mt.Get transportation from Rent A Wreck and sleep in it at the campground midway between Toston and Townsend or even up at the Dam at Toston.Stay in a motel in Townsend even.Run about $1500 if you stay away from poker machines.

If you can get some one to go with you to split the cost for car gas and motels Montana is an easy choice.

I thought I saw a deal for the Bighorn River in Montana in the fall. Lodging, food, three guided floats for $995. Throw in airfare and fish on your own a couple of days for $1500 total probably.

Back