How much would I get fined?

Jessed

Jessed

Let's say I was going to walk into a posted area in a state park to fish. How much would a ranger fine me for doing so? I read somewhere it said $1,000 fine or 6 months in jail but I don't think that's right

No idea what the fine is, and whether you think it is right or not, I don't think the judge or magistrate would take your opinions into account when sentencing.

I can think of barely any areas in State Parks that are posted against trespassing (except maybe around some maintenance depots - "Authorized Users Only"), and the only areas that are generally off limits for fishing are Childrens' Areas, or possibly certain areas on or below dams. I'm really curious with all the stream miles in PA that are open what is leading you to even ask a question about accessing posted land in SPs.

When wild trout populations don't get sufficient harvest from fishermen, the trout over-populate and the result is stunted, skinny fish.

I read this on paflyfish, so it must be true scientific fact. ;-)

22 inch wild Browns in SE PA is what's driving me to fish there

I might know in general where you are thinking of and you're playing with fire in that park... I can't think of a fish big enough to be worth that kind of fine (if the amount you said in the OP is correct)

The only place that I can think of is a National Park and those would be big fines.

You can catch 20" wild Browns in SEPA and not get fined too.

Jessed wrote;

22 inch wild Browns in SE PA is what's driving me to fish there

Trespassing is a crime punishable by whatever laws are on the books in the county you have chosen to trespass in. Is being arrested and having your fishing tackle possibly confiscated worth breaking the law to catch fish that you have no right fishing for?

Besides almost anybody can catch big trout in posted/private water so there are really no bragging rights when you do that. But when you learn where there are big and wild trout in the public waters you fish and you start to catch them you will feel a lot better about yourself and your skills.

Heck I don't trespass for big wild browns, much less 22 inchers. Have some respect for both yourself and private property.

Boyer

Exactly my sentiments.

salmonoid wrote:
I can think of barely any areas in State Parks that are posted against trespassing (except maybe around some maintenance depots - "Authorized Users Only")...
I was thinking the same thing. There's a State Park near me and the only thing resembling "Off Limits" would be a Safety Zone, but you can walk within them, you just cant hunt within them. As mentioned, there's PLENTY of other water to fish.

I would be more worried about the trouble you get in when your parents receive that fine.

I know where he is talking about and I doubt he could fish long enough to catch one without getting caught. It's trespassing and wrong, just find another place. There are plenty of places to nab a big brown in SEPA without trespassing but it involves putting in time and work.

I might too. Quarry on a state park. Area near quarry is closed for visitor safety, which effectively posts the best part of a nearby stream that's on public land. Have considered doing it myself. Considered, not actually did.

^ you got it. I mean I'm not there to jump off some quary. My neighbor told me they #censor# it down years ago because someone was murdered there scuba diving under ice and someone cut the chords. I fished there before... Maybe 3-4 times caught fish but also could tell I wasn't the only one. There where ol beer cans everywhere ( I did come back with a trash bag and picked up everyone's trash) . I was just wondering about being caught.

Picking up other trespassers' litter does not make your trespassing legal. Regardless of why it was posted, and what you plan to do, it is still posted against trespassing.

I wish I would have had the chance to explore that area, and fish the stream from the mouth to the headwaters, as my family did a lot of camping in that state park when I was a kid. But it is off limits now. Plenty of other areas to fish in the state with large wild browns that you can legally target and not have to admit your guilt to a FFing message board.

No guilt. Just wonder if I WAS going to get caught how much I'd have to pay

what the hell, go for it.

You only live once, and think of the bragging rites!?

Figure out where to park the car far away (basically no parking in a state park while it's dark out, unless you're at a campground)), plan on an hour long predawn bushwack to get in there, then fish the hour of the rising sun, hitting only targeted spots/lies and get the hell out. Once you know the way in and out that doesn't utilize the expected, don't cover the same path twice, and don't follow the obvious one to get in there.

Good luck and make sure to post your grip & grins and you'll be a legend.

Jess - Besides the safety reasons for having this area posted, someone else owns it, and is informing you that you are not welcome to be there. Unless the DCNR is hiding the cure for cancer on that parcel, there's no justifying you being there, whether you feel guilty or not.

When was the last time you were there? Reason I ask is the statute of limitations on trespassing in PA is 2 years...FYI. Don't think that these forums aren't monitored by WCO's...heck some of em' may even be members! I'm sure it's been a couple years since you were last there though.

Back