How much do you folks read?

FiveWeight

FiveWeight

I was just wondering how much you read on the topic of fly fishing? One of the reasons I ask this is that I read about how tough it can be to fish this stream/creek or that one and it is kind of intimidating for someone who has never been on this or that water. I have only been fly'n since the mid 70s and I still learn something every time I'm on the water. I have read so much about fly fishing in PA, that many times fishing new water I already figured I'd get skunked the first time out. It happens to all of us every now and then, but for the most part, it ain't that tuff. Sometimes I think the magazines and book writers make too much of a science project out of things. To all the folks just getting started in this hobby..... Keep it simple and have fun. So..... How much do youn's read?

I read this message board, or some kind of local one before most trips. As for magazines, I rarely get one to plan a trip. They are more reading material for the john than anything.

I try to read a few books per year, and fly fishing is usually at least a partial theme of one or two of them.

Otherwise, I do a ton of reading, but it's not FF related.

I gave up reading about fishing mostly when I realized they didn't know any better than I except they writ better.
And those foney fishing shows are even worse.

Personally, I don't think there's a better way to learn than from reading. The important thing is what you read and who has written it. As far as fishing goes, me reading topo's and some of the info on the Pa F&B Comm web site regarding trout stream classifications seems to teach me more about a given stream than anything else, except coversing with someone who has actually fished a specific stream.

I read as much as I can. I have and have read and re-read a couple hundred fly-fishing books, though some are really duds, and I have read many others in local libraries. I receive three fly-fishing magazines in the mail: American Angler (easily the best), Fly Rod & Reel (has Gierach and environmentalist Ted Williams in each issue), and Fly Fisherman (gift subscription every year, has some good forum articles but way too much fluff--kiss-and-tell). In addition, I buy Fly Fishing and Tying Journal in a local bookstore when I can find it, and it generally is a solid read. I have only seen Fish and Fly once or twice, and it generally isn't too good--nice looking, but weak content.
I enjoy reading about others' adventures and their trials and successes with the fish and how they deal with problem fish. I cringe each time I see a stream profiled.
Anyhow, I like to read, and I do as much reading as I have time for.

I don't read enough (And I love to read .. not fish stuff) but I don't think it would replace time making mistakes on the stream. I caught a real good fish this past weekend and also spent more time and lost more flies than I every do. Books can tell you what to do but muscle memory of a bad habit will slap you in the back of the head everytime.

I don't read first person articles or general how to, though at one time I couldn't get enough.
Now I read reference materials and stream surveys when I can, and I like maps.
I used to belong to a book club when I was younger and I purchased and read and re-read Schweibert's Nymphs and kept it as a bench reference. I also enjoyed, as many did, his Matching the Hatch. In fact, I think I might go dig up Nymphs. I enjoyed his drawings. Also Rememberances of Rivers Past, but that can put me in a bit of a depressive funk.
Another one that I enjoy reading from time to time as a throne tome is Larvae of the North American Caddisfly Genera (Trichoptera) by Glenn B. Wiggins. I've read portions of that many times over the years for reference and refresher.
The past years I've been reading plant/tree identification books and would like to have more identification keys, always with streams and uplands as my context.
Also been re-reading some English Setter books, but that's a different topic.

I read here and a few magazines. I not a book person.

I enjoy reading, so I read more than I really need to. I think that reading only helps so much with learning to fly fish. There are so many intangibles that never make it to print that really affect your success. For instance, the stream I fished 99% of the time was extremely shallow and clear. So I got good at certain approaches/presentations. When I would go to a larger stream like Penn's or Spring, the game changed tremendously (how exactly, would be hard for me to say). I had to put the time in to learn how to adapt what I knew to the new environment.

wildtrout2 wrote:
Personally, I don't think there's a better way to learn than from reading. The important thing is what you read and who has written it. As far as fishing goes, me reading topo's and some of the info on the Pa F&B Comm web site regarding trout stream classifications seems to teach me more about a given stream than anything else, except coversing with someone who has actually fished a specific stream.

I wanted to add that as far as the actual fishing itself goes, there's no better way to learn than from the actual on stream/fish experience. For general information though, books/mags, internet, and especially maps are the way to go. Info from "locals" is always tough to beat. ;-)

Padraic wrote:
I enjoy reading, so I read more than I really need to. I think that reading only helps so much with learning to fly fish. There are so many intangibles that never make it to print that really affect your success. For instance, the stream I fished 99% of the time was extremely shallow and clear. So I got good at certain approaches/presentations. When I would go to a larger stream like Penn's or Spring, the game changed tremendously (how exactly, would be hard for me to say). I had to put the time in to learn how to adapt what I knew to the new environment.

I agree that book learning only goes so far. But for me it stimulates my imagination letting me approach my next trip with some new ideas. I read a lot, fishing and otherwise. I prefer books over Ebooks or online material. A good book can be transported to any number of places more conducive to absorbing the material. I just can't get that on a computer.

I read a fair bit. It only goes so far, I'm not sure how much of what I learn in the books actually makes it to the stream. But I enjoy it as almost a hobby in itself. Several categories:

1. This message board and the FFP board.

2. Tactics books and vids. Mostly Humphries, but other authors as well. After the initial 30 reads, "Trout Tactics" has become more of a reference for things like leader formulas and such.

3. Guide books: Landis and others, I acutally use this as bedtime reading more than a "stays in the truck" guide. When I go somewhere I know where I'm going, and have plans B and C planned out too. But my planning occurs well ahead of time. It lives on top of a DeLorme map, they go hand in hand.

4. Easy Reading: A heavy dose of Gierach and other similar authors. More bedtime reading.

5. Tying books: Keep by the bench for that moment when you tell yourself "there's gotta be a better way to do this."

6. Magazines. I do have Eastern Fly Fisherman, and some ancient PA Anglers my dad occasionally sends my way. It's neat to see a story about your favorite stream from 1950 something, and see how much things have changed. But this segment doesn't get much use.

I just finished reading SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR and I'm trying to apply its principles to attacking a trout stream.

The general, unable to control his irritation,
will launch his men to the assault like swarming ants,
with the result that one-third of his men are slain,
while the town still remains untaken. Such are the disastrous
effects of a siege.

Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's
troops without any fighting; he captures their cities
without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom
without lengthy operations in the field.

We will see.

I usually read once daily, sometimes more depending on what I had for supper the night before. Always about flyfishing! ;-)

Some everyday.

Might be 5-10 minutes or an hour. If you include the internet it could be much higher.

I can't read.

Lately, I have been reading books about fly fishing almost exclusively. I've tried the literary approaches (The River Why), the purely technical / instructional ones (any book by Goddard), and I'm finding that I like a book that combines the two. The best one that I've read in the last year has to be Thomas McGuane's "The Longest Silence". He's a great writer that seems to capture the spiritual, aesthetic sides of fly fishing, while still managing to impart a fair amount of useful, technical advice in the process.

I also enjoy reading about tying, but have found that most of my books that sit next to my vice have been usurped by the unbelievable wealth of recipes and step-by-step instructions available on the web. In addition to the tying sites, I burn a lot of time trolling different fly fishing websites (like right now). I should be asleep, but I've got it bad...

JackM wrote:
I just finished reading SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR and I'm trying to apply its principles to attacking a trout stream.

The general, unable to control his irritation,
will launch his men to the assault like swarming ants,
with the result that one-third of his men are slain,
while the town still remains untaken. Such are the disastrous
effects of a siege.

Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's
troops without any fighting; he captures their cities
without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom
without lengthy operations in the field.

We will see.

Jack, good book! I have the J.H. Huang translation and it took me a few times through to get the jist of the style used, but I learned some things that I try to apply every day.

Boyer

Matt, I read all kinds of silly things. You never know what might be helpful.

Sun Tzu says: there are five particular rise forms; the bubble is not formed, the catskill is cast, the result is refusal.

I prefer Haiku

The sulphur spinner
It falls as the sun goes down
I can't see. Beer time.

Back