How long are your fishing trips?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

How long are your average fishing trips? I usually fish for as long as I can get out, which is usually around 4 hours. Just wondering how much time everyone else gets to spend on the water when fishing.
JH

I voted for 5-6, but I'm not sure that's the most accurate, that might be an average. It really depends on where I fish. When I'm on one of the week long excursions, it's sun up to sun down. If I'm doing a day trip, it depends on how far I have to travel to get there. There is one local stream that I can get to in 25 minutes. I'll fish that for 8 or more hours. Another, which is roughly an hour +, I'll fish for 6 hours or so.

Interesting poll.

3-4. I'm not a morning person, and I have a bit of a drive to get to the nearest trout water. I have to be up before dawn to make the prime morning fishing hours. For that reason, I usually make evening trips. Especially in the spring and early summer when hatches are at their peak before and just after dark.

If I'm on a genuine "trip" such as to the gunpowder or spring creek, I'll fish 12+ if I can.

jaybo,
I have the same problem, it really depends on how much time I can get away. That's way I figured I'd ask what everyone's average trip lasted. This year it has been tough to get a whole day with family obligations, so it seems I get a lot of half day trips to local streams. Gas prices have also made the trips to the central part of the state a little less frequent too.

JH

My first couple years, I would fish as long as possible. Then I settled into 3 to 4 hours as a nice average. If I quite then, my back and feet didn't ache, and I still felt I got a "good fish" in.

I answered 7 plus. I have to drive at least 1 to and 1 and a half hours to get to decent water. Try to make the most of it with the drive in mind. I fish with 2-3 different buddies and they are usually the all day can't get enough types which helps bring up my average time out. They also can't fish anytime they want so when we go we make the most out of it. (Or at least until Mark is off for the winter)

Typically I try to get to the stream right near day break and fish till the fishing slows way down. Then I might pull out the camera for a bit in and take some photos of the area I'm in as even on an ugly stream there can be beauty. Like many of the others it all depends on when, where and how much time I have to fish that dictates it for me but quite often I find myself wondering if I just got around this next bend maybe I'll find more fish. My fiance (soon to be wife 2 weeks!) won't fish with me anymore because the first (and last) time we ever went fishing I told her "5 more minutes babe" for about an hour and a half. Needless to say I find it hard to pull myself off the stream even when time constraints come into play. It's just one of those things I'm sure most everyone here understands!

I answered 5-6 in the poll.

This is tough to answer, because every trip is "different" when I go.
With a bass lake across the street from me, I suppose I could walk over there, every day and fish for an hour or so, then come home. With over 6 more lakes, within a few miles of here, I mayl also throw my "Toon" on the roof rack, pack a 'samich and begone for 12 hours, fishing 3-4 different bodies of water in one day.
If it's trout I'm set on, then I'll hit a local stream, or two, also within a mile of the house, for the morning feed-for 2 hours, then come home and go back, for the evening hatch, (if there is one), for another hour or so, making that day's trip about 4 hours!?!
But, like another mentioned........ "if I travel on a "TRIP", where it's an overnight thing, then I'm going to go the distance and do the "8-10 hours a day thing". I go to Montana a lot and North Idaho, on the way over, so of course I'm going to hit this water for as long as I can each day! After all............ you have to 'earn' that pizza and beer, once it's too dark to fish!?!

I always tell my significantother that I'll only be out half a day. That's 12 hours ;-)

Actually she's great and what limits my time on the stream is work. I'd say a good day is 3-4 hours. A great day is anthing beyond without my cell phone calling back!

Having to drive at least and hour to reach a good trout stream, and with the best streams 3-4 hours away, I always make a day of it when I fish - especially with the price of gas now.
A usual day trip for me - to the yough or oil creek - I leave by 9 am - getting there around 10 -11 am, - and usually always stay until dark.
As for the 3-4 hour trips to central, or north central PA streams,- I usually don't do it unless I can stay at least 2-3 days

Wait a second, here................. "How can you hear your cell phone, calling you back".....Steveo....... If YOU, are out on the water, where YOU should be and your PHONE, is locked up, back in your vehicle, where IT should be?? I was SURE dag-nab-it, that that is why God invented "Voice Mail"?? Strictly for us Fly Fishermen?

I specifically fish in places out of cell phone range. "yup, I had it with me all day, sorry!" I don't get those "you have voicemail" tones until I'm on my way home.

Just a few years ago I was a 7+ guy and at least 4 days a week, but old age has caught up to me and Im now down to 4 or 5 and a couple days a week :-(

Hours? We're talking days at least. Usually weeks.

If I am going to drive an hour at $3.00/gal., you bet your *** I/m staying the entire day (unless i have something urgent at home).

I go out for as long as I can. If it means 1 hour then I'll go out 1 hour if it means all day then im there. Being out of college and having a real job makes you appreciate how precious each time on the water really is.

I put 5-6 ,that mostly is an average.I sometimes go for only 2 hours but alot of times on weekends it will be for 12.

Back