How Did You Get Your Start In Fly Fishing

MKern

MKern

Pretty cut and dry --- what made you make the decision to start fly fishing for the first time?

For me, it all started when I was young, about 12. My cousin and I use to spend the early Spring netting minnows from the small creak that runs in front of my parent's house. I would then keep them in a 10 gal. fish tank till opening day. On opening day I would tranport a few dozen minnows to his house in Hugesville and for the first couple weekends stay there and fish Muncy Creek. We always caught fish, but not a ton. However, I would always notice the fly fishermen waving around rods and consequently catching more fish than me. I remember thinking that I could never do it, so didn't give it much thought. Then, one year, after learning that what those guys were doing was fly fishing and they tied feathers to hooks and caught fish, my cousin and I walked to the Dollar Deneral in Hugesville and I bought a dollar feather duster. I remmber being ticked that they only color they had was bright yellow, I was hoping for a variety. That night (Friday) we sat down and using fishing line taken off our reels, laid one feather along the hook shank and tied it down. Don't ask me how I got the feather to stay, but it did. This basically made a bugger-like fly. Don't ya know the thing worked. We caughgt a ton of fish the first couple weekends. Like usual though, after the first few weekends, we stopped fishing , and had other things to do: baseball, swimming, camping, and didn't fish. Then we both got older and stopped fishing.
Then I got a job at a local pizza shop at 16, and the owner was a fly fisherman. He new I liked to fish and could see that I wanted to learn, even though not fishing for a couple years. I wanted to start fly fishing because I remembered those guys back on Muncy Creek catching fish consistantly, and that's what I wanted to do was catch fish consistantly. Then, fishing wasn't fun unless I was catching fish, probably like most kids. I went out and bought a starter kit and he taught me to fly fish. Again I only did it for the first few weeks of the season. I took a year off, because I didn't really have anyone to take me or to learn from. Then, when I was 18, I decided that I liked the experience I had so far, and that if some people I knew (morons) could get the hang of casting, then I could too (I also had the same revolation about drive a standard car) and I decided to teach myself. 6 Years later, I'm still teaching myself, and now the occassional other person as well.

I never didn't fish. Literally.

When my folks met up in Alaska, mom hadn't fished much. Dad changed that (to his half-regret; she's unstoppable now, and he's ready to slow down a little). I've been fly fishing since conception, though I had some help early on ;-)

I grew up in the sport; because of that, I never really had a chance NOT to flyfish. When I was a little guy Mom or Dad would hook a trout or grayling and hand me the rod to finish the job; I had my own rod, if not the perfect skills to use it, around 8 or 9 years old.

No better way to grow up, if you ask me. More kids should be so lucky. As I've grown older I've become more interested and involved in the sport; it's now nearly an obsession. I've also become more aware of the conservation side of things in the past few years; the two pieces fit well for me.

The best part is that every time I meet someone new who fishes I have a chance to learn a little more.

Nice thread- I hope it gets some more replies.

Best~

Dan

I honestly can't say that there was one thing that got me started but here is my story. My uncle gave me a fly rod when I was about 6 or 7 for my birthday because he knew I liked to bait fish and thought I may like fly fishing. Well, 7 years old is a little to young to start but I tried to fish a couple times not knowing what I was doing. After a few years of the fly rod collecting dust, I was about 12-13 when I saw an add in a local paper for a TU weekend camp where they taught basics so I signed up, not knowing that I would be the only kid at this thing. At the camp, I was surrounded by adults who recently started but I got the hang of it and kept it up for several years. I stopped fly fishing from about 16-19 or so because I was busy with school and other sports. I got back into it during my senior year of college and really got into it the past several years. I also started tying flies seriously about two years ago, which I think has made me a much better fisherman.

This is a great thread Mkern,

I think I started backwards. Much like Bobhouse, I have been fishing my whole life, mainly bait fishing for whatever was biting.

In my senior year of high school a friend of mine who fished the local bass tourneys introduced me to bass fishing. My first time targeting bass I hooked into a 5.5lbs bass on the opening day of trout season. This got the true obsession going and I went from a casual weekend fisherman to a true student of the sport. This led me to making and designing my own lures, which in turn led me to tying flies.

About a year ago a guy at work mentioned that he tied flies, I immediately started to research the topic and decided to give it a shot. I went out and bought a vice and some material off ebay and began to tie flies, long before I ever thought of fly fishing. Then, about a month after, I found a site called riversmallies.com and there was an article talking about fly fishing for smallies. That was it, thats what got me hooked. I practiced by fishing for trout during the early months of the year last year and went right to smallmouth starting in mid april.

Once I hooked my first fish on my own fly; OBSESSION!

since then I have gone from having one fly rod to 6 and from a kitchen table to tying desk (much to my fiancees' dismay)

Bob

Yea, I actually started tying flies about 6 months before I really got involved heavily into the fishing aspect, but I did have all the intensions of using my flies because I knew I was going to fly fish. And damn it, if I was going through all of he money to start tying flies, I was going to have to fish.

My uncle actually tied flies for several years, without ever picking up a fly rod. He did it as a stress reliever.

Friends from St. Vincent College is how I came to fly fish. But it is was several years after we graduated that I got exposed to the sport.

A friend from college got one of my buddies hooked. The guy was from a family of fly fishers since birth. It was fun to go out with friends and have some fun.

First stream I ever flyfished was the Loyalhanna. Spend some time in the Delayed Harvest area. I would ask as many questions until they would walk off and leave me in a hole. They would mutter some advice as the walked away to leave me alone with my struggles.

(can't say I blame them as they wanted to get fishing themselves)

That was probably 1996 or so. I moved back to Florida and hung up fly fishing. Have since moved back here and began getting serious about the obsession about 2 years ago.

Got laid off in September and have since gone over the edge about fly fishing. Trying to fish as much as possible because I know what sitting behind a desk for years is like.
(I'm sure the board will be happy when I go back to work)

Fly fishing is the best sport!

Something I have learned is not matter what instruction or classes you take there is no substitute for putting your time in on the water.

Paul

I was in college and received one of those plastic briefcase travel rod outfits...can with a 6ft fly/spin rod an spin reel and fly reel with line and leader and a couple hook sinkers and a few flies...I used the spin part when exploring the areas around Clarion where I went to school. Went out one sunday and realized there wasn't a bait shop open anywhere...got out the fly rod, figured it out and was hooked...this was cool...get anywhere, anytime and jut fish...and no forgetting that tub of worms in the trunk found days later..whew! I bought a newer rod one day when I was sick...10 bucks at kmart...started catching bluegill in the summer at home on maiden creek...needed mroe flies and coud NOT believe they wanted a whole dollar for flies in te stores...started tying in the fall of that year...(1984)...

My dad randomly bought me a fly rod for easter one year. I bought a couple of flies and caught my first fish on a lake in Canada in 1996, a small bluegill on a hopper. I won a fly rod in 2000 from my local sportsmans club and I took it out occassionally when I felt I needed a challenge from the usual worms and minnows. I didn't get into it seriously until about 2001, when the only stream near where I went camping was fly-fishing only. From there it took off to the obsession it is today.

Well-if you consider using some old wet flies on a cane pole with a pinch of worm to catch fallfish and minners in Mill Crick,fly fishing-about 3 1/2 to 4.{minnows,creek]
Different world in those days.My cousin Pam [same age] and I roamed free range from the time we were old enough to walk and no one ever thought anything of it.The fact that our trusty Great Dane,Monte, was always keeping an eye on us,helped of course.lol

i used to be against fly fishing.i thought fly anglers were elitist ,pretentious @#@#$% ! and many are.

when a baitshop near the pennypack went out of business many years ago,i bought a royal coachman tying kit.i used a pair of hemosats as a vise.i tyed many coachmen and coachmen like flies and caught countless trout,bass and sunnies on them -using a spinning rod and casting bubble.

so i figured fly fishing was easy,never bothered with it and stuck to my spinning rod.

around four or five years ago i lost my driver's license and had to hitch to steams witha guy i worked with.he,of course,used a fly rod.

one day on the way to the little schuykill we stopped at cabella's.
i had about sixty dollars worth of spinning lures and crap under my arms.i saw some flies for a little over a dollar a piece and a fly rod outfit with (level)line ,leader ,reel for forty dollars.
i was like"hey wait a minute,i can get out of here for under $50 if i switch to fly fishing."

yes,i'm one of the only people to start fly fishing to save money.

i caught a trout on my first "cast" and was hooked.

little did i know i wouldn't catch another trout on the fly for months,but it was too late,i was addicted.

BTW,i am still a terrible caster,but enjoy the sport more than ever.

Here's what I think is an interesting story - It all comes back to my dad having been Barry Beck's junior high school math teacher. At the time, Barry's parents ran a gas station and tackle shop in Berwick and Barry was doing some tying and flyfishing. I was too young to remember, but my dad dabbled in flyfishing and in repayment for some extra math tutoring, Barry shared flies and some fishing talk with my dad. I remember at the age of 11 getting a cheap fly rod and some tying equipment for Christmas. With some basic lessons from Barry and reading a lot of books, I slowly got better. Our family moved to Benton when I was in high school and I thought I was in fishing heaven. I could walk though the park to Fishing Creek. I fished a little through college at PSU and took Joe Humphrey's class for Phys Ed credit. Through my 20's I laid off fishing for a while and did some other sports, but have returned to the sport and still enjoy fly fishing with dad. My teenage son has dabbled, but hasn't caught the bug yet. Maybe someday.

I ran into Barry Beck at last year's Somerset show and introduced him to my teenage son. He said something about making him feel old! It happens to all of us!

My grandfather would tell me about catching crappies on a fly rod at the right time of the year. He had me practicing casting in his front yard when I was around 8 or so. He died shortly there after. I continued to fly fish occassionally on my own. When I got hooked and switched to being primarily fly fishing was when I was 13 on a trip to Yellowstone. I was actually using my grandfather's old glass rod. Having been self taught, I didn't know much about hatches, but there was a hatch coming off on the yellowstone river. I was casting with, I'm guessing, an adams to a hatch of light yellow mayflies (presumably PMDs.) They weren't taking my imitation until my fly floated along right next to a real bug on the water. The PMD took flight just before they passed over a 14" cut. The cut saw the movement of the real bug, casually rose up and took my fly. It wasn't my first trout on a fly rod, but that sequence is what has kept me in search of hatches all these years later.

I started skinning for a local shop in 1967, then he would take me to the Catskills to the Darbee's, the Dette's, Wulff's, and Art Flicks house. Couldn't ask for a better education into the world of fly fishin and tyin..oh yea used to hang out at Ernest Schreiberts too...Been hooked since....

I started fly fishing in August 2007.
My cousin and his good friend had been spinner fishing creeks for a long time (mostly for trout). I took a few local trips with them over the past several years, but only would catch a few trout while they would catch many.

One day (May 2007) I went out with my cousin's friend (just the two of us). We started out slow, but eventually started catching a lot of trout. This was the first time I actually caught a lot of fish. When the action slowed down, I asked him if we could go get me set up with some decent spinning gear. Bought the stuff, ate lunch, returned to the creek and continued to catch a ton of trout the rest of the day. Like I have heard in previous threads; it is rediculous to even try to count fish at these high of numbers, but I would guess we caught close to 70 between us (I probably caught 1 to every 2 he caught). Ever since then I have been hooked. I got bored with spinner fishing, and have alwasy been intrigued by fly fishing.

So, I asked some questions on this site and taught myself pretty much everything else I know pertaining to fly fishing techniques. To this day I have never fished with an experienced fly angler or gotten any hands on instruction, unfortunately. I read a little bit at the beginning to get the basic concepts, but everything started to blur together after reading about so many different techniques for fly fishing. Everyone has different opinions, and I realized that there is no "correct" way to do things. The best way to fish is the way that you enjoy most.

I ended up getting my cousin and his friend to start fly fishing after they had talked about doing it for years.

Mine was an easy choice. Hang out with my Boss or go Flyfishing. We were on a work trip in Breckenridge, CO and we had a day to do an activity. I looked at the sign up sheets and no one took the flyfishing. Easy choice in my book. Got a whole day of guided fishing on the company dime.

Now I blame them for the thousands i have spent in the past 11 years. Damnn it , I need a raise if I am to support this habit any longer

It was getting dark and I was leaving Hay Creek with an empty creel. As I was leaving I saw JayL flyfishing. I remember it like it was yesterday, I told my brother, "Now that is how you catch trout." Even though it took me a few years after this incident to start, this was that significant moment that really got me started. It's actually funny, I didn't realize that the person I saw was Jay until I met him this past fall at Hay Creek.. Ha, he even gave me an ant imitation..

I started flyfishing just last season although I've owned my rod for about 10 years. I spend every free moment I had fishing for trout from about 12 years old through high school. I always saw these guys flyfishing and thought that was a cool way to fish. I took a trip to TCO and bought a fly rod. I was all excited I bought this nice rod at a real fly fishing store. I headed out to the stream and caught my line and the trees more than I had the fly in the water. My new thoughts were this is impossible and this is the dumbest way to fish. So I went back to catching fish with my spinning rod. Every season I would say to myself "I'm going to flyfish this year" And every year I would get so frustrated I switched back to my spinning rod. About 4 years ago I cut the hook part off of a bugger and "fished" my parents driveway for hours! I figured out the casting thing, but would still travel with both rods. I never caught a trout with the fly rod and would have my spinning rod in the car as backup and would always make the switch. Well last season I stopped bringing my spinning rod and made the full time switch. I fished the entire season with the fly rod. (Aside from the few times I took my kids.) I finally started catching fish and now that's all I want to do is fly fish.

There was no real epiphany for me, I sort of evolved into a fly-fisherman. I fished with spinning tackle since my Dad took me fishing when I was 6 or 7 years old; I just turned 51 last week. I was obsessed with fishing since I was a kid. By the time I was 16, I was pretty decent spin/bait fisherman and brought home “my limit” of trout or bass on nearly every trip. In those days the yardstick of your prowess as a fisherman was measured how many “limits” of big fish you brought home.

One late spring day I was fishing near Benton on Fishing Creek, and was having pretty tough time catching fish with my spinning outfit, yet there was a hatch on the water and trout were rising everywhere around me. Try as I might, the fish ignored by bait and my mepps or rooster tails to feed on the hatch of insects.

The next week I went to Zambor’s Sporting Goods, and bought an Eagle Claw fiberglass fly rod fly rod outfit and some flies. The learning curve was slow since I didn’t have the greatest equipment, and I didn’t know anyone who fly-fished to teach me. But I persisted, learning by trial and error and from reading books and articles about fly-fishing. I also learned to tie my own flies, more to save money than for any other reason.

For the next ten years or so, on every fishing trip, I kept my fly rod in my trunk and began using it if there was a hatch on the water. Eventually I would grab the fly outfit first, and later on, when I was in my mid-twenties, I no longer carried a spinning outfit.

After graduating from college and landing a decent job, my Eagle Claw tackle turned to Fenwick, Orvis and later to Sage. My trips to the local streams turned into overnight fishing trips in PA and neighboring states, and eventually trips to distant streams and rivers out-west. I traveled a lot in my job, and was able to spend weekends or vacation days fly-fishing in many places. Back then, each season it was not unusual for me to hold fishing licenses for 5 or 6 states. I’m married now and don’t travel nearly as much as I used to, but still try to average at least one fishing trip a week mostly to the local streams.

I derive more pleasure from fly-fishing than from any other type of fishing and fly-fish exclusively for trout, panfish, and bass; even when I know that under some conditions a spin or bait casting outfit and lures or bait will catch more fish. To me it’s more of a challenge to fly-fish. I love fly-casting and the challenges of making an accurate cast or getting a good drift in a tough spot. Add to that the aspect of tying and designing or modifying your own flies, and the satisfaction derived from fooling a fish with it. It’s truly a great sport – I’m hooked.

Every year I would watch the only guy on the stream with a fly rod catch 10 times more fish then anyone else. A friend of my dad got him started and the little bit of knowledge my dad picked up and passed on to me was enough to get me started. It Didn't take to long to start catching fish. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying it more than any other type of fishing I've ever tried.

My first exposure to fly tackle was a Cabela’s catalogue, but I never saw anyone use a fly rod on my fishing trips to the local lakes. I grew up in SW PA and trout fishing options were very limited. I turned 16 in 1992, the same year A River Runs Through It was in the theatre. My girlfriend at the time really wanted to see the movie, so off to the theatre we went with my week old driver’s license. This movie was my first visual of fly casting. I knew from what was observed in the movie a fly rod was in the near future.

One day my father sent me on an errand. He needed welding rods and sent me off to Quality Farm and Fleet to pursue his want. Quality Farm and Fleet was a hardware/feed/country living retail store. As I walked in the store, I was drawn to a very small fishing section. They had a fly rod for $19.99. It included the line, backing, and reel for one low price. This package deal was affordable for me compared to the prices in the Cabela’s catalogue. I bought the rod a Shakespeare fiberglass 81/2” 7/8wt. I had no idea how to rig it or how to use it.

The only thing I knew about casting was 10 o’clock 2 o’clock from the movie. I got tired of attempting to cast the rod to the dandelions in the yard so I went to the local lake. I stopped at the bait shop to purchase my first flies. I bought a few poppers, epoxy ants, and foam spiders. The owner told me that the poppers and foam spiders float and work real well. I positioned my self for my first cast, but much to my surprise the line started to sink and then the fly. I thought that all fly lines floated. I was disappointed but kept fishing. I tried the ant because it wasn’t supposed to float anyway. On my first cast with the ant I landed a crappie. On my first day I caught over thirty panfish and a 13” bass. I was hooked.

The only problem, I feel like my ex-girlfriend is still spending my money for introducing me to the sport via her movie choice A River Runs Though It.

Back