How's the fishing?

troutfanatic

troutfanatic

Hey folks!

It's been quite awhile since I've logged in.

I finally retired from the Army at the beginning of this year. 28+ years was enough. Unfortunately, I have not moved back to Pennsylvania yet. I am still in NC for awhile longer, as I decided to go back to school and change my degree in hopes of becoming a PA in a couple years.

Somehow, I still find opportunities to fish. I won't bore you with my pics.

Anyways, I will be making my annual Xmas venture to SW PA in a couple days. I'll find room in the vehicle for waders, boots, pack, 2-4-6-8 weights and a net. I am curious though, as crazy as the weather has been, how bad or good has fishing been? particularly interested in the western side of the state. No stream names, I am not a hot-spotter.

I fished in southern VA this past Saturday after back to back mornings in the teens. When we got on the river, it was 25. I dragged one decent brown out with a sculpin, but the rest of the day was toast. This hot-cold-hot-cold nonsense probably messes with a fish in a manner similar to humans.

Take care, happy holidays

I'm from SE Pa so I can't speak to the fishing in your area. I just wanted to thank you for your service. Congratulations on your retirement and getting YOUR freedom back, grow your beard long, fish often and enjoy being a "nasty" civilian. Merry Christmas to you too

Thanks and same to you. The beard is as long as I can get away with for work study. I think the term we used in Afghanistan was "one fist long." measuring with standard or metric systems hasn't arrived there yet :)

Welcome back Fanatic. I was just thinking about you recently - was wondering, "what happened to that military guy with the pic wearing a kevlar and ammo LBE in his avatar?"

Anyway - congrats on your retirement - time to spend some time fly fishin in PA!

Dave (formerly "Fishidiot")

Ha ha ha... yeah Dave, school keeps me busy. I am not a rocket scientist, so I have to fight hard for the grades I get. This semester took a lot out of me. I am 48 and people say "you are nuts going back to school at that age." I have classmates that have me beat by a decade or more.

I digress, I am off until January 9th. I plan to fish a good bit. I have been working my target deck all day.

happy holidays

So, tf, what streams in southern VA did you fish? I used to fish a lot many years back in south western VA.

Lefty,

I love the Smith River. I fish it from Philpott all the way, way down past Martinsville. I just fished it Saturday. It is the closest, most easily accessible wild trout waters near me. I live outside Fort Bragg so that's a 3 hour commute. As far as wild streams, I won't go specific on names in an open thread, but meet me on PM and we can reminisce. I like stuff off the Parkway from NC, well into VA and there's a couple real close to the Smith. I occasionally wander into the Jefferson National Forest and Grayson Highlands. I also wander into southern WV on occasion.

Fishing around here in west/central pa has been decent lately. Typical winter fishing. I've caught fish on spring creek, little J, and several others over the past few weeks. nymphing consistently or throwing a streamer will probably be key for you. best of luck!

Brooks,

that's the plan :)

cheers!

Thanks for your service, I can't help with SW PA without a little more info.

Thank you for your service! I'm from SWPA and normally would have a good report for you but I've been out of action since Black Friday. It's been very cold for the most part and that's what has been keeping me out of the water. The extended forecast is looking good though. Mostly all high 30's-40's.

I've been in Pittsburgh since Friday, but haven't gotten out. There's a DH stream five minutes from my mother in laws house. I've messed with it for a few hours, but have not been able to venture too far from the house. I think this warm-cold, warm-cold weather has them pretty messed up. I brought a couple miniature smallies to hand, but no trout. Wednesday I am rolling north. Gonna see what I can find as far as wild water goes. Friday I will roll east.

I grew up fishing the sulfur hatches in the early season on the Smith. Hell of a brown trout river. Give me a holler if you wind up east of the Susky and I'll take you somewhere out this way.

Ha ha yessir! The Bassett Mirror Plant and the 5 month sulfur hatch. I know it well. Like the river is boiling.

Looking to move back up here as soon as I am done with school.

Back