High Water Browns

Swattie87

Swattie87

Preface: The fish in this thread were caught on spinners with barbless trebles. I debated for about 24 hours whether to even make this post, and risk the criticism, but in the end I had a nice time fishing with another PAFF member and we saw some great scenery and caught some beautiful fish. I think most folks will probably just take it at that and enjoy the read and the pictures. If you don’t that’s cool too, I just ask that if you want to debate whether spinner fishing for trout is ethical, please start a new thread and do it there. Mods, since this isn’t FFing, if you feel the OT forum is more appropriate, I won’t be offended if you move the post. There currently isn’t a quality, active PA spin fishing community however, and I suspect many guys on PAFF still probably do spin fish on occasion.

I generally am in the camp that thinks that fishing with spinners and barbless trebles does carry a higher likelihood of injuring a fish. The vast majority of my fishing at this point is with the long rod, but there is one set of circumstances where I do think that fishing with spinners is markedly more effective than fly fishing…higher water conditions for Brown Trout. In most circumstances I think a fly rod is more versatile and allows you to cover more bases, but the normally spooky and shy Browns just seem to go stupid for rotating shiny objects in high water. Sure, you can catch them on Buggers too, and even in higher water I often do prefer to fish for them that way, but I still think in those circumstances, spinners will outfish streamers. With all that out of the way…on to the post…

After what has probably been a couple of years of trying to get our schedules to sync up, bjb27_99 and I finally got on the same page and met up to fish. We actually chose this Brown Trout stream in the Poconos and set a date a few weeks ago. At the time, I’m sure my plan was to fly fish it, but we got very lucky on Tuesday with the area seeing some nice rain, and the stream was charged up and flowing nicely as we arrived Wednesday morning. Based on the conditions, and the Brown Trout, we thought it could really be one of those great Brown Trout days on the short rod. So that’s the plan we went with. After a mile plus hike in we found the stream was flowing full of that tannic, but not muddy water that is common on Poconos streams. Water temps were low 40’s (which I can unfortunately attest to, more later) and air temps started in the mid 30’s and rose to the mid 40’s in the afternoon. Skies were mostly sunny. We started off well with bjb picking up a nice 13” range fish and me hooking into a nice 15”er in the first hundred yards we fished. From there on, the action was a little hit and miss for the next half mile or so, but then we settled into a nice groove of pool hopping and bringing one (or more) to hand, or getting a good chase and strike in most pools. Just as we were really hitting our stride, I brought things to a splashing halt. If you’ve fished tannic streams, you’ll know what I mean…you can’t really see the bottom, even in shallow water sometimes, so you have to feel your way around with your feet looking for boulders or other obstacles under the water. Well I didn’t do that this time and stepped off of a large midstream boulder into the current channel only to have my right foot land on the downslope of a submerged smaller boulder. It wasn’t a nasty or violent, hurt yourself fall, but one of those controlled ones where you know you’re going down, but you’re just trying to minimize the damage. Ended up soaking my left side pretty good, and had a good bit of water in my left wader leg. This happened right at about the midpoint in terms of the hike from my car at the bottom end, up to bjb’s at the top end. I thought I could stay warmer by hiking upstream (the benefit of a high gradient stream!) and keeping the blood moving, so that’s what we did. I was cold for the rest of the day, but not dangerously cold. By the final hike up and out of the stream I was actually sweating, and looking forward to getting a layer off. In the end we probably fished the second half of the day a little faster than originally planned because of my fall, but still had a really nice day. It wasn’t a ridiculous day numbers wise, but between the two of us we probably caught in the neighborhood of 40 wild Browns. Most were your typical 7-9” wild Browns, but a few went larger, and all were beautifully colored and fat bellied…I suspect despite the recent cooler temps the majority of the fish were still prespawn. Toward the upstream end of the section we fished we came across one pair in the tailout of a pool, but they were the only ones we saw that might have been actively spawning.

Once again, the best thing about PAFF is meeting new friends to fish with. Had a great time with bjb, and yesterday was an excellent example about why it’s smart to fish wild, remote, high gradient streams with a partner. This stream was the roughest terrain I’ve ever fished, and probably about as rough as it gets for PA, and I coulda been in real trouble if I hit my head or got my torso wet yesterday. If I was by myself I would have had to turn back immediately.

A fellow board member shared some information on this stream with me, and out of respect for that, I’d ask that if you know the stream from the pictures, please do not post the name in the thread. Thanks gang. A few pics:
(8) – bjb’s first Brown of the day.
(9) – Boulder Pools
(10) – Waterfalls
(14) – Glide Pool
(15) – One my more colorful ones. Love the olive tones in the parr marks.

Attachments

• 11-14-12 (8) PAFF.jpg
    11-14-12 (8) PAFF.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 11-14-12 (9) PAFF.jpg
    11-14-12 (9) PAFF.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 3
  • 11-14-12 (10) PAFF.jpg
    11-14-12 (10) PAFF.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 11-14-12 (14) PAFF.jpg
    11-14-12 (14) PAFF.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 11-14-12 (15) PAFF.jpg
    11-14-12 (15) PAFF.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 3
Where in the Poconos is that stream located? That is a really cool looking stream.

VERY Nice!! Reminds me of some of the streams I fished out in CO. Mountain freestoners of the same size that were just chock full of browns about that size. I must of hooked around 30-40 my first day out there.

I still spinfish, but not for trout(except for opening day). Believe it or not when I first joined TU I mostly spinfished for trout at the time, but I eventually took on the love of fly fishing. Great post.

Matt,

Nice story and great pictures. Those brownies are beautiful fish. The scenery is incredible. What a resource! We are very blessed to have great opportunities such as this to experience with good friends. Thanks for sharing with us.

^ Thanks guys.

TYoung - As I mentioned in my OP, although I knew of this stream, a fellow board member shared some more specific information and advice on the stream before we headed up there. In light of that, and to keep his trust, I think "The Poconos" is about as specific as I'm comfortable getting. I hope you understand.

That said, while there isn't necessarily the same density of wild trout streams in the Poconos as say NC PA, there are a handful of really good ones with good, legal public access...of which I'd include the one in this thread. Take a look at the PFBC wild trout lists and cross reference them with some maps...you'll come across this stream, along with several others that are as good, or even better. Again, many of these streams lose elevation very quickly over rugged, remote terrain (with poor or no cell phone reception) and have dark, tannic water hiding large, slippery boulders. My advice is to try to fish them with a buddy.

Is this stream on public land? If so WHY is it so important to not name it, you're not man enough to take heat from a couple of A-holes that think you shouldn't name any stream?
If it's on private land why even post it?

Thanks for your usual post Chaz...and although I largely agree with you in principle, I explained my reasoning above previously.

Yes, most of it is on public land. Given your experience and stream knowledge I'm sure you've fished it.

Swattie,
Nice report and some beautiful pics of landscape and wild trout.

Nice looking stream... good work.

No, I don't think I've ever fished it, it doesn't look familiar. I usually avoid brown trout streams unless there some particular reason to go there, like it's a mixed stream with big brookies. PM the stream to me.

I love the looks of those tannic pocono streams...gotta get back soon.

Nice report.

I love streams with big boulders like that. My favorite class A out my way is like that. Produces nice holding areas and plunge pools. Those streams seem to really come alive in the higher water. Glad you had a nice day out. The aggressiveness of browns on a moving lure whether fly or not never gets dull.

Chaz wrote:
Is this stream on public land? If so WHY is it so important to not name it, you're not man enough to take heat from a couple of A-holes that think you shouldn't name any stream?
If it's on private land why even post it?

Perhaps he's an ****** who doesn't think he needs to name any streams?

Y'know, Chaz, I'm mystified by you.. For the longest time you were legendary in refusing to share any of your vaunted spots, suggesting only to check the PFBC site and fish after a storm.

Perhaps you should relish being on the receiving end of the exact same answer you've given so many times before you evidently turned over your new leaf?

Oh, and since Swattie didn't mention it, you should fish after a storm.

Not true at all gfen, I shared a lot of info over the year. It's only been in more recent times that I no longer share info publicly. He knows I was only bustin on him.

pretty fish swattie.

spinning is an artform in itself when done well. it must be tough casting in those small pools.

when i've done it, i replaced the trebles with debarbed fly hooks, as i worry about hooking them in the eye or wherever...

Thanks geebee.

The pools on this stream were pretty decent sized with the flows we had on Wednesday. Definitely big enough to get a decent retrieve. I agree though...once you get to a certain point, you really can't fish spinners in the really small streams.

I tried the same thing too...replacing trebles with single hooks on some of my spinners. I found that the single hook didn't provide enough drag in the water to keep the blade spinning on the retrieve...especially when retrieving downstream. Any way around that that you've found?

yeah - try either a few wraps of non toxic tin foil/wire superglued on the fly hook or tye a bucktail skirt round the hook.

i have absolutely no idea why but both trout and stripers like yellow better than red or white.

red will take winter browns and salmon in high water though.

marabou or herl of some kind would work too i reckon but i never tried it.

one thing not to overlook in muddy high water is panfish poppers with the treble replaced too.

Dear Swattie,

I had an answer written and hit the wrong button and geebee added what I was going to write.

I find that as long as you are using a spinner with a Colorado, Indiana, or French blade and have a fairly hefty body they will spin on a downstream retrieve when rigged with a single hook.

Rather than fish with single hooks though I've just debarbed most of my spinners and spoons. Like geebee said wrapping wire on a single hook will help as will going to a larger hook. Almost all commerical spinners have hooks that are too small in my opinion.

I prefer Mepps, Vibrax, and Panther Martin spinners but I mostly fish size 2 and occasionally size 3. If you want to fish smaller spinners I think that Panther Martin is the way to go because the bodies are relatively dense for their size. I won't own a Rooster Tail and I no longer fish with CP Swings or any willow leaf blade spinners because the rarely, if ever, spin on a downstream retrieve.

Nice fish and fish story BTW.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back