Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Hickory Run in the Fall

Can anyone tell me what the fishing is like on Hickory and Mud Run in the fall. I've seen a lot of people talk about them as early season fisheries because they get too hot come summer, but I'm wondering what the fall action is like. I'd like to try some new water and am intersted in wild fish. Thanks for your help.

Regan Kenyon

TU Chapter # 123

Posted on: 2006/11/15 11:40

Re: Hickory Run in the Fall

From LV
HR fishes very well until late fall, I was there a few years back there were flurries, probably from the ski area, and it was quite cold, but my fishing partner and I fished all day and caught over 100 trout. I've heard it took a pretty good hit during the floods and haven't been there for a couple of years.
Can't speak for Mud Run, I hardly ever go there.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 15:02

From Chester County
Hickory Run should fish fine. Mud Rud has a combination of holdover stocked trout and wild brookies. The other wild stream in the area is Black Creek (sometimes called Hayes Creek) just outside the park.

Be careful during hunting season, wear some blaze orange,since some of the park is open to hunting, and Black Creek runs through PA game lands. Good luck.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 16:01

I fished Hickory and Mud Run about a week or so after the flood this summer and they both seemed to be in good shape, the stream beds were a little scored but nothing to bad. Also afish is right you should definitely consider wearing some orange clothing if you intend on fishing anywhere where hunting is permitted.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 16:58

From Monessen, PA
I'm just curious-- I have never, and I mean never, heard of a fisherman being struck by a bullet during hunting season. Has/does this actually happen? I rarely wear orange and just am wondering how silly I am being.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 17:32

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Dallastown, PA
Jack,

I don't wear orange either but probably should. I think it is a law on SGL during hunting season...I could be wrong. I have a funny/strange story about an accidental shooting in Hunting season. I forget some of the details but it centers around a friend of mine and his brother each bringing a friend to his uncles farm to hunt turkey. Brother #1 arrives early with his friend and sets up in the field. Brother two shows up later with his friend and when going into the woods Brother #2's friend decides he is going to relieve himself in this stand of pines. Not knowing where the other guys are...he goes into the pines and squats. Before the paperwork commences he is wallopped by a 16 gusge shotgun in the buttocks and lower back. This guy is 280 lbs. Apparently the butt of a 280 lb male resembles a turkey in some way.

After the state police left and the guy, we'll call the shooter was being rung up by the warden...Brother #2 comes back to the house wondering what is going on. He didn't even know there was a shooting. Heard a shot but none of the screaming and cussing. The doctors said if Brother #2 had been shot (180lbs) he would likely be dead.

Moral of the story is if you are gonna take a crap in the pines during trukey season, make sure you are over 250lb. There may be folks in the woods exercising bad judgement while carrying firearms.

Maurice

Posted on: 2006/11/15 23:46

From SEPA
I had the tar scared out of me about 2 years ago in the fall fishing the Tully. I was crossing a field and spotted a hunter at the opposite end all set up. I didn't have any orange on, so I walked out in the open, waving my hands until the hunter waved back. I wear at least an orange hat in the fall now.

beeber

Posted on: 2006/11/16 8:49

The way I look at it, the fishing is just as good on Sunday as on Saturday and there's not lead flying around on Sunday.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 9:43

Jack,
If I were you I'd not go around wearing blaze orange where people know you're a lawyer.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 9:44

From Chester County
I’ve been hunting for a long time and I think I’ve seen it all!

Fellas……anyone walking through the woods during huntin' season with brown boots, a tan vest with a white patch on it, waving a long rod through the woods, without blaze orange on, deserves what he gets. You just better hope they don’t gut ya out, and drag you da truck!

Posted on: 2006/11/16 10:05

From Monessen, PA
OK, so I deserve to get shot by a hunter that fails to adequately identify his/her target, that much I understand. But my question was whether anyone has ever heard of an angler catching well-deserved lead on stream.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 10:37

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Greensburg, PA
I have never heard of one, but my hunting friends always suggest to me that i'm wearing something orange. I do have a hat that i wear to hunt and have worn it while fishing. Frankly its such a short, cold period of time. Certainly, there are safer places to fish should you get a jones.

However, if its never happened, would you really like to be the first guy to get it? The headline would read something like,"Dumb@$$ gets shot while fishing!"

Probably wearing a tan, hooded wading jacket with a net hanging off your back, facing the water like a deer taking a drink would be inadvisable.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 11:26

From Chester County
Jack and everyone,

The PGC keeps records on all accidental shootings and fatalities. I believe they classify each one, i.e. mistaken for game, in the line of fire, etc. I’m not sure that they state or keep records of what the victim was doing at the time.

In all seriousness, I was hunting a few years ago, and heard a shot and then some screams from a young boy. Some deer flushed and the boy saw some movement on his right. It was his father and he shot him in the neck. The father wore camo outfit without any blaze orange showing (he had his blaze orange hat stuffed in his pocket). I and several other hunters tried to save the father. He died after about ten minutes before we could get help.

It was tragedy for the whole family as well as the boy, who was inconsolable. I’d venture to say that the young boy will never be the same. It was one of the worst things I have ever witnessed.

I know many of us are big burly guys and nothing can happen to us…..but it can! Wearing some blaze orange during hunting season is no big deal. If you afraid that it will spook the fish, at least wear it while you are walking to/from the stream or lake. Play it safe for the sake of your families, and for the sake of the person that may injure you, and have to live with it for the rest of their life.

As much as I love trout, I’ve not caught one that was worth my life.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 11:57

From Southeast PA
I've learned 2 things from this thread:

1. Always wear orange when fishing on game lands during hunting season.

2. If you type Dumb@$$ it will create a link, and if you click on it, an e-mail will be created, and you will be able to send a message directly to "Dumb@$$".

P.S. I don't mean to trivialize your story, afishinado. That must have been a horrible experience.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 12:45

Afishindo,

Wow, terrible story.

A know a guy who got shot by his father while turkey hunting. He healed up OK, but they took a lot of pellets out of him.

I met a sporting goods store owner who walked out into the parking lot and took a stray bullet in the foot, during deer season. He still doesn't walk very well, and probably never will.

Stuff happens. Caution is advised. Wear blaze orange. And on the really busy days, like the opening day of buck season, I don't think it makes sense to go fishing in hunting areas.

Some fishing areas are urban/suburban and have little or no hunting. Valley Creek in the park, Yellow Breeches at Allenberry, Little Lehigh in the park, etc.

And if you are going to fish one day on the weekend, consider Sunday, when there's no hunting.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 12:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com