Help...Going to LA tomorrow and brining the fly rod.

J

johnnyd

So, last minute work trip to Los Angeles tomorrow. I am in a meeting until about 3pm, with nothing to do after that. I fly back into Philly wednesday morning at the butt-crack of dawn. Does anyone know of any easily accessible spots within striking distance of LA? I think the Piru(sp?) and Kern are pretty close but I have no idea where to go. I have a rental car, so I am mobile. Any input would be awesome.

The LA River should be good fishing this time of year!

Sorry for the sarcastic comment. I couldn't help myself.

Attachments

• la-river-2.jpg
    la-river-2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3
Ha...sarcasm appreciated. I checked a few things and found that Piru Creek around Warring Park is a nice tailwater. We'll see.

Haha.. i'd contact "The Fly Shop" in Redding, CA. I think they are a little far from LA, but seem to have the whole California fishing thing nailed down pretty good.

Good luck, not my first fishing destination, but way to try to work it out!...:)

What area are you going to be in? If you are getting out at 3:00 ish traffic is going to kill you. If you haven't been to LA before I would suggest driving through Malibu, Hollywood Hills, etc and just take things in.

http://www.fishingla.com/local_streams.htm

johnny - if you are salt inclined, go to Redondo Beach (among others) and try out on several available species there.

LA is a big place. If you are near Fullerton, Bob Marriott's Emporium is a must see for lots of goodies. If you are North, go hit the brothers from NJ at Fisherman's Spot. They have an interesting variety of gear.

tl
les

As many times as I've been in LA, I've never thought of FFing there - at least not for trout.

Here is a list of streams, info and directions I found:

http://www.fishingla.com/local_streams.htm#Piru_Creek

DEFINITELY post a report when you return.

HTH

Thanks Guys. I've been there a few times, but have never taken the fly rod. Just looking to get out and explore...outside of West Hollywood, which is where I'm staying.

Probably a little far for you.....about two hours from L.A., but I'm giving it a shot when I visit my daughter.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEHcDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNUJIMjAwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110512&ttype=recarea&recid=26611&actid=43&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110190000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=FSE_003723&pname=San+Bernardino+National+Forest+-+Bear+Creek

CLSports wrote:
The LA River should be good fishing this time of year!

Sorry for the sarcastic comment. I couldn't help myself.

All the cool kids are fly fishing for carp now.

Hey if i may intercede I was born in LA and lived in Coranado,Redondo,Imperial,and long Beach while my dad was in the service 1966-73.My grand mother and aunts on my mom's side lived there and still live there gram is gone Aunts are still there.
The Los Angeles River has among other things,Tilipia, Largemouth Bass, Several types of Carp, Sunfish,Bowfins.
There was a special on this a few eeks back on one of the good channels on tv,im not sure if it was animal planet,history,or tlc.I also know they talk about it on that show cities of the underworld too.
Believe it or not they used to have a great steelhead run and i believe it was the southernmost run in the lower 48.
If i were you skip The Flyshop for info.use Bob Marriot's.heres a link:
http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/
this store is probably the single largest flyshop in the United States.I love the Flyshop too,but Marriots is right there and they have the Southern California thing also Mexico down to a "T".i have also purchesed from both shops and service is the best .If you go north use the Flyshop or Kiene's they know their stuff.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
I never flyfished this river,but as a kid my cousins and i would hop the fence and use spinning gear aand catch some wicked good bass and panfish.

Thanks again for the info. I also found that the east branch of the San Gabriel may be decent. I may try that as well...not far from where I have a meeting that day. I will post a full report (hopefully with at least one fish pic) when I get back.

There are streams closer to LA than the Sieras, the mountains East of LA have a few, but I don't remember the names. As someone said try The Fly Shop in Redding CA, they are very good and can probably help.

San Bernardino area theres the Angeles national forest and there are trout streams there but usually at this time of the year folks flock there an build friggin dams all over the creeks litter and screw up things.one word of caution..ratttlers rattlers rattlers

The Kern River is a nice place to fish especially if you fish north or Kernville. I lived in that area for a few years. All the feeder streams are stock full of brook trout. It will take you at least three hours though to get there. You could head up to Big Bear also and fish the lake. Plenty of trout there. Your best bet would be to take a day and head up to Bishop and fish the Owens River. Great place to fish and worth the drive.

The Sacramento! haha. or the Trinity

The Sacramento! haha. or the Trinity

rooster those are in northern california

Back