He finally got some trout

PaulG

PaulG

Last week Enfausn from the board PM me and told me he never caught a trout, he wanted to know if I would take him out. I told him I would, so last week we went over to YB. First we started fishing and I saw were Will had a hard time casting, so we went to the field at Allenberry and I tried to show him a few things. Well he got a little better but not much( he did catch a fish and missed a few.

It buged me all week why I couldn't get him to do better, I tried to figure out what I had missed, showing him. Just by chance I turned of a flyfishing show and they had a guy teaching these two kids casting. The guy tells them about the wrist flick on the back cast, then the light bulb went off, said to myself thats an inportant thing I forgot.

So today we went out again and we went to the field before we started, and I showed him the flick, people you can believe how much better he is doing, nice loop on his cast and the fly was turning over hust fine.

He caught two more trout and had three that got off and missed a few. now he has to get better playing his fish and he will be fine.

Great job Will!

PaulG

nice story u done good, we need more guys like you

Congratulations Enfausn on your catches! Kudos to you PaulG for taking him out and putting him on the fish, that's very cool and a great show of sportsmanship! :hammer:

Good for you guys! Nice story. I know it took me awhile.

Way to go Mr. Paul.

Great job by you for taking a newbie out. As a relative newbie myself I know how valuable it is to get out there and fish with more experienced fishermen.

too bad you are not actually supposed to flick your wrist when casting...

Great story Paul - keep up the good work.

Very nice of you Paul you are a true gentleman , I'm glad Will got into some trout. Thanks for the info on Penns also , I will give you a call hopefully tommorow evening if you are going to be around.

All the best mate

Jules

Dang Paul, Thats almost as much as I caught with you the other day.
Only thing you taught me was to watch you catch all the fish. :)

Never did quite understand the term Spyder is talking about. Maybe good for fundamentals and developing a rithym, but I couldnt cast more than 30 ft without using my wrist.

Maybe "Flick your wrist" was a bad choise of words, maybe the snap would have been better, I ain't no expert at casting, but whatever it's called it worked for Will.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

PaulG

I've always been a wristy caster also.

I happened to run into George Harvey at fishermans paradise one time years ago. And he gave me a little casting lesson right there. I can still remember him telling me that a little flick of the wrist is important to roll the line and leader out correctly.

I guess there are just different ways to achieve the goal

You definitely need to have a power snap, but the amount of wrist snap is very small. I used to tuck the but end of the rod into my shirt cuff when demonstrating casting. It showed people how little snap was needed.

Dear Paul,

You've once again proven that you just might be the nicest guy in fly fishing.

I know that sounds sappy but you rival even my buddy Rolf. You are always kind and generous and helpful no matter who asks the question, for that I salute you.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Paul is definetly the man!!! LOL! Before he took me out and taught me some basics I was just about ready to quit the whole "Fly Fishing Expirement" as my fiance calls it. Now I'll be damned if it's not a whole lot easier and funner! Thanks for taking me under your wing Paul and showing me the basics. I know I got a ling way to go yet but I feel like i halfway know what I'm doing LOL!!!! Like it so much I've even put down the wrenches on the mustang to head out fishing!!!!! Ha ha ha!!!!

You will never completely appreciate Paul's generosity until he offers you some of his marvelous deer bologna...yummm

Dear Tom,

Without being insulting I wonder how good Paul's deer bologna really is?

I guess my other question is how bad can deer bologna be? I've never eaten a bad bite.

Dear enfausn,

I'm glad you had a good time with Paul. You won't find a nicer guy ever, you might find a guy as nice, but nicer - no freaking way.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I think I heard Paul yell at Maurice once. Or was it Merle?

Jack, I think it was ther young lady that ran a stop sign in a parking lot, he got a little upset !

Merle

When i flick my wrist i end up with a nasty trailing loop. Mabey im doing it wrong though... i dont do that anymore and my casting is a lot better.
Just sayin

Back