Guided trip suggestions

sipe

sipe

I'm planning to do a guided trip this spring/summer here in PA. Last year I fished with PA Undercurrent Outfitters and I had a wonderful day on both Spring and Penns Creeks, Jim Spade was my guide and I learned an incredible amount in just one day of instruction.

My question: if you were going to do a guided trout trip in PA, what body of water would you choose to provide the best fly fishing experience? Numbers, size, scenery, interesting water, bugs, etc can all factor in. Please include what makes that trip special. Include as many trips as you think are especially great experiences with a guide.

Let's get a little more info.....

You looking for a walk and wade or a float trip?

Define interesting water.... pocket water, dead flat, riffs / runs

Penns offers a pretty wide range of insect hatches and some are very heavy. Spring doesn't have as varied an insect population but the hatches it does have are pretty darn good.

You could do a walk / wade on the Little J and get totally different looks than a walk / wade trip on the Letort. You limiting this adventure to trout only or would smallmouth also be an option?

If you are looking for a neat hike in type of guided trip, BFC through the narrows is pretty, varied water and does hold some decent fish. Another might be a long hike on the Little J. Again, lots of different types of water, good insect populations, nice fish, etc. If you were looking to float, The Yough and Lehigh are closest. If you want to drive 4 hrs or more, toss the Delaware into that mix. Anyone of those 3 bigger rivers could produce the fish of a lifetime, average fish close to 15", have interesting / varied water and bugs upon bugs. If you are open to smallies, you might want to look up some of our forum members that guide for them on the Susky, Juniata and other waters. If you'd like to have a knot in your forearm, hook a big smallie.

Side note on your wish for bugs..... Be careful what you wish for. I've had many days ruined by hatches becoming so thick you really don't have a chance for the fish to eat your fly when 300 naturals are floating by him every minute. It's a something to see but not fun for catching.

Second side note: if you are considering fishing one of the larger rivers / floating, you will want to make sure you are a proficient caster. Be able to hit a pie plate sized area (or be close to it) at 40' or further a majority of the time.

Taking ALL suggestions! Trout only....walk or float are both in the discussion. I don't know what interesting means...I'd like to hear what other people think were great experiences.

PM coming your way

Float trip the LeTort...

Pie Plate at 40'...how about a hula hoop...guess I will need to practice first. On a good day I can maintain a large pizza pie target for about an hour. Krayfish crushing my dreams again!

Great Thread Sipe! I have been wanting to know the answer to the same guide theme...glad you asked.

www.tomsflyfishing.com

P.M. sent

All private messages = boring thread.

Here is a non-PA guide event that I would enjoy:
https://www.facebook.com/TheFishWhispererGuideService/events

"2014 Brown Trout Unicorn Hunt/White River, Arkansas"

After sending that PM, I feel bad. It might have contained more characters than all of pcray's 2013 posts combined.

Lot's to digest.

Copy and paste it here Hater

No way. I'm trying to protect the brook trouts. Pull up your downriggers and stop trolling. LOL.

I would recommend these guys. http://www.covetedwaters.net/

I've fished with them before and I learned a great deal.

They can show you some new water and give you a new appreciation for the fish, the habitat, as well as the sport.

I traded a grouse hunt for a guided float trip on the Clarion river. Great trip with a # of big browns. Guides first name was Damon can't remember his last name( maybe someone can help). Great guide fantastic trip. He guided out of Glendorn Lodge in Bradford Pa.

Gotta mention two of our own. Old Lefty and FirandFeather.

I'd really like to make this trip something special, rather than just the same small stream stuff I've done on my own. So far, the float on the Delaware sounds the most appealing.

Also I have really wanted to fish BFC in the narrows. Good suggestion.

Keep em coming!

How about Steelhead fishing in NY or Ohio?

You certainly can't beat a float trip on the West Branch of the Delaware as a special trip that is worth every penny regardless of angler experience. I can happily recommend a guide it that interests you.

PC,

Pack em in on the WB like sardines. That leaves me 80 miles of water to myself. LOL.

PatrickC, I'd take that guide recommendation if you don't mind, Thank You! Any other trip suggestions. So far the best bets seem like a Delaware float or a joke in to the narrows.

I've been reading on the Delaware briefly, and wondered: which would be a better float, main stem, west branch, etc?

sipe wrote:
PatrickC, I'd take that guide recommendation if you don't mind, Thank You! Any other trip suggestions. So far the best bets seem like a Delaware float or a joke in to the narrows.

I've been reading on the Delaware briefly, and wondered: which would be a better float, main stem, west branch, etc?

The Upper D River with Joe D. - Crosscurrent Guide Services.

http://www.crosscurrentguideservice.com/

Great River to fish and great guide. You should enjoy yourself and learn a lot. BTW, a good guide picks the best section of river to fish based on conditions at the time.

Back