Grey Winged Yellow Quill

buffalo7

buffalo7

I believe this is a grey winged yellow quill. They've been hatching for a few weeks here. They're about #18, smaller and lighter colored than the common sulpurs around here. I don't always know the names of everything, but I useualy have something to match it.

What do you think it is?

Attachments

• IMG_7060.JPG
    IMG_7060.JPG
    516.5 KB · Views: 8
I've never even heard of that common name. But troutnut says the common name refers most often to Epeorus Vitreus (in PA, more often known as sulphurs (but a different type than normal), Little Maryatt, Pink Lady, or Light Cahill), and sometimes refers to Leucrocuta hebe (which we just call yellow quill).

Leucrocuta genus has a mottled wing, this is NOT one of those. It may be Epeorus Vitreus, though.

What I can tell - dun stage. Plain wing, obvious hind wing.
What I can't tell - number of tails.

If it has 2 tails, you are most likely correct. Epeorus Vitreus. And that would be my guess. If 3 tails, then I have to go with ephemerella dorothea.

pcray,

I'll go with what you said, thats what I looked it up under earlier (Epeorus Vitreus). In the Book Trout Streams of Virginia they have Gray Winged Yellow Quill (Epeorus Vitreus) hatch time-May, location - headwater freestone streams, midreach freestone streams. This would come under headwater freestone. I guess thats a local name but we both have the same one in mind. It had two tails.
I've had spinners die on my font door, the wings will turn transparent , they are never real dark color, that one was a dun for sure. I learned that when one dies in a certain place that others will come to that spot later, they must go by scent. I think we were both right.
Thanks

def. not a cahill... these flies hatch in my local streams and always are a marker for me that sulphurs and light cahills are on their way. Oddly, I caught a few cream cahills 3 nights ago, and they are usually june flies. Weird year. Last night was the first hatch of sulphurs and light cahills I have seen. Things are just now heating up in SWPA in terms of mayflies.

stevehalupka wrote:
def. not a cahill... these flies hatch in my local streams and always are a marker for me that sulphurs and light cahills are on their way. Oddly, I caught a few cream cahills 3 nights ago, and they are usually june flies. Weird year. Last night was the first hatch of sulphurs and light cahills I have seen. Things are just now heating up in SWPA in terms of mayflies.

There have been mayflies Hatching here in central VA since april, maybe late March. The first were quill gordons and BWOs and Blue Quills but the little yellow stoneflies are the heaviest hatch. The mayflies have been a variety, nothing heavy, some sulphurs now also. I found a mayfly in a spider web earlier I wanted to take a pic. of but it blew off my finger and I couldn't find it. It was sulphur orange color with an olive back, but it would be in the 20s as far as size and the wing was longer than most for it's size and it lost it's tails.

E. Vitreus is much larger than a #18 so I don't know, usually a 14 or 12.

Chaz wrote:
E. Vitreus is much larger than a #18 so I don't know, usually a 14 or 12.

When I was looking at it I was wondering if I would use a #16 or #18 to imatate it but definitly not a #14. I don't see a lot of #14 or bigger mayflies here like I do in the low lands, useualy #16 and smaller but there is no shortage of aquatic life here. Epoerus Vitreus is one of the maylies of this stream that hatch at this time.

there has def. been quills and bwo's.. i was referring to the major hatches that the central regions have been seeing...

Looks like an female invaria to me based on eyes colour and wings and size
I copied and enlarged the image from your post to examine it.
However, the number of tails is obscure 3 for the invaria.... yet the inage looks like there maybe 2 . so I agree with Pcray a 9mm vitreus

SamIAm wrote:
Looks like an female invaria to me based on eyes colour and wings and size
I copied and enlarged the image from your post to examine it.
However, the number of tails is obscure 3 for the invaria.... yet the inage looks like there maybe 2 . so I agree with Pcray a 9mm vitreus

Epeorus Vitreus is what I thought it was, thats what the book Trout Streams of Virginia calls a Grey Winged Yellow Quill, most people call them just Yellow Quills. It did have two tails. I have troutnut on my favorites, but I'm on dial up and it takes to long for the pics to load up. But thats what I looked it up under.
Thanks

hope when i move to Va. theres more than dial up !!!

sandfly wrote:
hope when i move to Va. theres more than dial up !!!

No cable here, I don't know about Hughs Net, a mountain behind me a mountain on the otherside of the river,mountains up the river and down the river. They curve with the river. besides I don't here any good things about them anyway. I don't have tv reception here either.

Back