Government Shut Down Hits PAFF...sort of

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

October 1, 2013 - Due to a lapse in Federal funding, the U.S. Geological Survey must suspend those parts of its data collection and distribution processes requiring human intervention. However, automated reporting and serving of telemetered data will continue.
Users may note some degradation in the quality and completeness of real-time streamflow, groundwater levels and water-quality data from some reporting stations due to the suspension of field calibrations and adjustments, especially as high flows occur, aquatic vegetation becomes dominant, or ice forms in high altitude streams. The USGS will continue to monitor some performance aspects of its network using a skeleton workforce.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/rt

Most every stream has not been affected, nothing to see here really?

Now they are messin' with the wrong citizens-- anglers looking for steamflow data. The crap is gonna hit the fan now.

And by the way, it is only a "slimdown" ask the Fox headline writers. :cool:

The disclaimer is up but the creeks/rivers I observe on a regular basis seem unaffected.

Of note, there has not been much movement in water levels. We got a good soaking here in Adams Co from about 9am this morning to about 2pm.... but the ground is so dry that water levels haven't moved up as much as I'd expected/hoped.

I don't think the gauges go screwy very often. But once in a while, if say, they get clogged with weeds or something.

I'd expect when they do go, they they won't be fixed as quickly.

JackM wrote:

And by the way, it is only a "slimdown" ask the Fox headline writers. :cool:

And here I thought after reading the Huffington Post that it was just an extremist Tea Party plot to kill children and the elderly. I can stomach that but USGS shutdowns?

They just shut down the ANF to all logging..Alot of hard working men, no work no pay....

fade - that may explain why the EB of the 'wine upstream of D'town hasn't been updated.

Back