Good news for the Tully in Lebanon Co.: potential to extend wild trout pop

M

Mike

I recently learned that the sink holes near Rt 422 west of Myerstown have been by-passed by a 1200-1500 ft. (I forget the exact distance as I write this, but if pressed I would say 1500 ft.) man-made by-pass channel, the construction of which was completed last fall. This, after years of attempting to fill them. The new solution may allow the substantial wild brown trout population above the sink holes to extend downstream as far as intermittent stretches of acceptable habitat will allow. When natural flows plus the voluminous AES Ironwood pumped (from a limestone quarry) stream flows combined were high enough, the wild population was already doing this to some extent, so there is reason for optimism regarding the success of this new solution to the sink hole problem. The pumped flows, as part of an agreement with the PFBC to improve the Tully, combined with the past sink hole repairs allowed the PFBC to take a chance on extending the trout stocking program for a few miles upstream through Myerstown only during the preseason period in 2012. That stretch had not been stocked since the early 1980's. Now, there will be inseason stocking through Myerstown as well in 2013. My expectation is that at the very least, stocked fish will reliably hold throughout the summer if the project is successful, providing a somewhat rare year around fishing opportunity for holdover stocked trout in a SE Pa stream. Only RT will be stocked so that anglers reporting catches of BT can be pretty certain (as can the PFBC) that the fish are wild. Additionally, we have seen wild BT populations expand in the past with RT stocking occurring (Codorus Ck, for example). My understanding is that the by-pass channel is already visible on some web-site aerial photos if you care to take a look.

Surprised this post did not get more attention. Always good to hear of more wild trout water!

You can see it clearly from 422, just south of the roadway. Agree it's not a bad thing, but the main issue with the wild Brown Trout fishery above Myerstown is very poor access. Nearly the entire stretch to the headwaters is posted.

Still, if it helps the downstream stretches, then definitely worth it.

Were these sinkholes naturally occurring? Or caused by some man-made activity?

The bypass channel is very clearly seen on satellite images. On Acmemapper.com, search for Myerstown, PA. Then looking at the map in Topo view, look to the west (left) where Route 422 crosses the Tully. Then switch to Hybrid view.

Manmade activity? Yeah I bet that giant lake next door is 150 ft deep and was a limestone quarry. All the water probably drops into there.

This is great news. I know that Tully TU has two major projects scheduled for 2013 for the upper Tully, below this area.

Maurice is largely correct based on my info. The sink holes were reported to me over the years a leading from the stream channel to the quarry. My recollection is that one would be grouted and another would open up. Either way, it was a never ending battle. Hopefully, this engineered solution is permanent.

To respond to Swattie's concern, the man-made channel begins directly in a location where there is a substantial wild brown trout population.

The losses to the quarry via the sink holes accelerated in the early 1980's and was the reason why the upper stocking limit on the Lebanon Co portion of Tully was at that time moved from the western end of Myerstown downstream to the eastern end of town where flow was reliable.

My primary interest in the new channel, however, is to see how far downstream the wild brown trout population will expand on a permanent basis, although we are glad to bring stocked trout fishing close to home for residents and kids living in Myerstown.

Based upon tge statement that there is a "strong" wild brown population, whats the burning desire to stock this area? "for the kids?"

Mike wrote:
To respond to Swattie's concern, the man-made channel begins directly in a location where there is a substantial wild brown trout population.

Mike, I don't doubt that the fish population in that stretch is substantial...you just can't fish for them without trespassing. A fellow board member was nice enough to show me an approximately 200 yard stretch he has access to, and I agree, it's got lots of smallish wild Browns...but again, the downside is you can only fish 200 yards or so...posted heavily both upstream and down.

jdaddy - I can't imagine much stocking going on (by the state anyway) upstream of Myerstown due to the posting issues. I think there is a private club in the headwaters that does stock it however.

Mike wrote:
Maurice is largely correct based on my info. The sink holes were reported to me over the years a leading from the stream channel to the quarry. My recollection is that one would be grouted and another would open up. Either way, it was a never ending battle. Hopefully, this engineered solution is permanent.

The losses to the quarry via the sink holes accelerated in the early 1980's and was the reason why the upper stocking limit on the Lebanon Co portion of Tully was at that time moved from the western end of Myerstown downstream to the eastern end of town where flow was reliable.

My primary interest in the new channel, however, is to see how far downstream the wild brown trout population will expand on a permanent basis, although we are glad to bring stocked trout fishing close to home for residents and kids living in Myerstown.

In a karst terrane, there's no such thing as a permanent solution to sinkholes. I imagine with time some unintended consequences will emerge as the result of the man-made engineering attempts to "fix" nature :)

Jdad,
The upper end of the stocked area is a mile or more below Rt 422 and only stocked with RT. The goo d BT pop is described as being at Rt 422.

Any idea if the by-pass will impact negatively springs downstream?

Anything below the elevation of the quarry/lake should be fine. Its volume will keep the springs flowing. If the lake drops, the springs drop too....as does the stream on the same geology. Thats probably what happening here. The goal of the bypass (I presume) is to create a streambottom not susceptible to sinks. As Salmonoid said, this lake will look for another crack or crevice to feed it. It may not be in the bypass channel but will likely occur somewhere just upstream or downstream. Still its work a shot.

I wonder who is funding the work and what their goals were/are?

Mike,why would the PFBC be trying to extend brown trout population?They are not native to the US and don't belong here at all.How is this resource first?Helping the brown trout expand is counter productive.I find it amazing that the agency that is supposed to protect our waters would do this.The PFBC should be trying improve the stream so that one day brook trout might have a chance to establish a population again.Crowding it with non native fish makes it even harder for brook trout to come back.Brook Trout may never come back to the Tully,but doing this will make sure they never do.There is no way helping non native fish is the right thing to do.Non native means they don't belong here,period.Just my opinion.Sorry about the double post,don't know what I did.

vealboy, the existence of brown trout is the least of the problems faced by a native brook trout restoration program.

In most of the trout streams of Pennsylvania, without brown trout, there would be no wild trout, period. The streams simply don't stay cold and clear enough. There's only so much that stream improvement can do about that. The only real solution would be to return Pa. to mostly unpopulated wilderness, in order to supply the required forest cover.

Maurice wrote:

I wonder who is funding the work and what their goals were/are?

I know that water companies have to contribute money to a fund that is controlled by PFBC and is earmarked to fund Tully and Quittie projects. My guess is that is the source. As to the reason, again speculation, however I think the sinkholes were significantly dewatering the stream.

To help answer some questions re: the PFBC/AES Ironwood Settlement agreement

Tulpehocken & Quittapahilla Watershed
Grant Program
Tulpehocken and Quittapahilla Creek Watershed grants are given for stream restoration, habitat enhancement, and recreational enhancement activities on streams located in the Tulpehocken and Quittapahilla Creek watersheds. This funding is available through a settlement agreement between the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and AES Ironwood, L.L.C. related to the operation of an electric generation facility located in South Lebanon Township, Lebanon County.
Only project proposals located within the Tulpehocken and/or Quittapahilla Creek watersheds are considered. The monies can be used for stand-alone projects or to supplement other funding for larger projects that are designed to improve aquatic habitat, water quality, or recreational use. Examples of acceptable activities include fishery habitat restoration or enhancement; fish stocking; fishing access; maintenance or creation of facilities to encourage, improve or expand recreational use of the fishery; or studies related to these issues.

The program will continue on a regular basis throughout the life of the AES Ironwood Power Plant.

For more information about applying for this grant program contact the PFBC at 814-359-5147.

Maurice asked:I wonder who is funding the work and what their goals were/are?

Funding: AES Ironwood, LTD is what I read. It made sense to me as part of their agreement was to provide flow to the Tully via pumping from the quarry. The company pumps enough water to maintain consistently good Tully flow, something that the stream had not seen for decades. This part of the agreement (the other part shown above re: grants) was designed to improve flow, wetted perimeter, and, thus, habitat for aquatic biota, including macroinvertebrates and fish. Up until this past fall, this was not fully realized due to the recurring sink holes at a location adjacent a quarry. The channel relocation was designed to correct that problem when other previous attempts to repair sink holes failed. Although the PFBC sometimes takes a beating in this forum regarding habitat improvement, the fact is that habitat improvement takes many forms and the PFBC is involved in many more projects than is realized. This one alone produces improved flow and colder water temps as well as a consistent source of grant money that predominantly is being directed to fund habitat improvements throughout the Quitty and Tully drainage basins, ie tribs and lakes included. Project proposals for the grants are reviewed by PFBC ecologists, fisheries managers, habitat managers, and WCO's with only the best projects receiving funding. This is not a rubber stamp affair.

Mike wrote:
This is not a rubber stamp affair.

You got that right! And once you have an approved project getting the actual check is like getting blood from a turnip. Tully TU has two projects on the upper Tully this year that are being funded by this grant.

It is interesting how rigorous the process is, though you state the funds can be used for stocking. Which GP do you use for that? LOL.

I guessed the funding source right. Was I right on my second guess, re: Maurices question about the reason behind the project? I assume it is due to de-watering caused by the sink holes?

Back