Good etiquette on the tully, for a change

jayL

jayL

The subject started to come up in another thread, but I figured I'd start this one.

This past weekend, I went to the tully to try to cool off by wet wading through a caddis hatch. When I got to the waterworks, there were guys lining the far bank, but I saw some water down below them, and there were a few rising fish.

I had to cross between a few anglers, but that's standard in that spot, and it didn't bother the fish much. I hate doing this, but it's the only way to fish the spot, and those who fish there usually know that.

Anyway, I was wading down to the open run, so I stepped lightly behind the other anglers through ankle deep water. Unfortunately, a fallen tree forced me a little further out in the water than I liked behind one angler.

I tried my damnedest to step lightly, and felt like I was moving in slow motion. Well, I don't know if the guy appreciated this, or if he was just a super nice guy, but he struck up conversation and offered me some of the fish working about 20 feet below him. He also offered some words about what he thought was working.

I wanted to post this for two reasons...

1) In the hope that the angler might see this. I'd like to say thanks, and that if you see me on the stream again to feel free to say "hi" and work the run with me.

2) As the waters around us warm, there are fewer and fewer areas to fish for trout. Anglers that want to work the longrods in swift current over rising trout are being forced to move to the project waters more often, and there are going to be crowds for the rest of the summer. Keep in mind that the waters belong to all of us, and that sometimes you've got to, quite literally, climb a mountain to find secluded trout. Instead of fighting it, try being a social fisherman. I've made some amazing friendships on the stream, and at the very least get some good BSing in.

It's not all that bad, and if you live in area like the SE, it's a fact of life. Say "hi" sometime this summer, instead of grumbling and taking combat tactics.

Couldn't agree more! I never mind sharing a run if people are polite. That's all it takes for me is for someone to be polite! If the stream is crowded I never mind if someone fishes near me as long as they're polite.

Jay,

Great post. Funny that you mention this. I had a similar experience on the Tully 2 or 3 weeks ago. Same situation. Lined up like crazy but rising fish in runs being unfished. My cousin and my friend and I worked our way into 3 such runs and 2 of the guys fishing above 2 of the runs were cordial and open to chatting and sharing water. Everyone caught fish (even my one friend who had never thrown a dry fly in his life). It was quite the experience even to the point of trading patterns.

I think I'd have a heart attack if I experienced good etiquette on the Tully. I expect quite the opposite, from experience.

Jayl- Your like Fox news fair and balanced. You know also reporting on the good stuff. People are crazy about this fly fishing stuff.

I agree Acristic, good post Jay.

I thought about this for a while and here’s how I rate how I’ve been treated by fellow anglers overall, in my experience on the streams of PA:

10% Especially thoughtful respectful helpful
30% Friendly courteous
50% Neutral
8 % Rude and discourteous
2% Total butt heads

40% are nice guys and 90% are decent or don’t bother you. Leaving just 1 out of 10 that are tools. We tend to remember the butt heads and forget or never really see the guys that were courteous and walked around to give us some room while fishing. Is this just my perception?

I think you are right on. We remember the jerks. Most encounters are pleasant or at least not unpleasant. Half the time I fish, I don't even notice other anglers.

I fish there often and most of the guys that fish there are considerate of each other. Once in a while you get the occassional nimrod that doesn't have any respect for the people fishing. Most of the time these people just need to be educated.

Ron

JayL

Were you there Saturday or Sunday and how did you make out?

Saturday.

I hooked a bunch, lost them all. There were caddis and sulphurs everywhere, but the fish seemed to be on midges after a few hours. It was tough.

I did lose one of the biggest fish I've ever hooked on the stream in the pallisades. Just one of those days.

I was at rebers bridge both Saturday and Sunday morning. Caught a few saturday on caddis but for some reason Sunday was very slow, nothing rising.

I have a feeling that it was off a bit last weekend, since they turned the flows up so high over the week.

I was on the Tully on Fathers day and I spoke to a few people and the were nice. The only person that I had a problem with was on the bike path. He was riding a bike and almost hit me when I stepped out of the woods to get on the path. He yelled something as he went past.

Back