Golden Trout

It is now July 26th and I spotted seeing a golden trout in PA at least 17" long on a stream in Western PA. I am surprised to see this considering most of these trout are easy to see and usually caught early in the season. With the warm weather here now and low water it will be hard to catch. Do you expect this trout to be around until Fall? Is it surprising to most of you that a golden trout is still left to CATCH?

I think that I may have a clue where you are speaking of. I would imagine that the fish will stay there, but i dont think that trying to catch the fish will help it stay alive.

I just got one 2 weeks ago and I was a bit surprised. If they have a deep enough hole it doesn't matter how much they stick out, I guess.

Boyer

I saw one recently on the Neshanock also. It is some what of an oddity to see them this late in common public haunts. A friend of mine has a small cold stream in his back yard that we would occasionally re plant trout that we had caught. Several years ago I put a Palomino (golden) in and we watched it for almost two years before it disappeared after a spring swell. We later heard a neighbor boy had caught a 4.5 lb palomino on the creek, it probably was it.

I saw one in the Little Lehigh this weekend. I was surprised one of the many herons didn't get it.

There are always Golden Rainbows around in the Little Lehigh, there's a hatchery there that raises them. Saw one onSpring Creek last weekend. No surprise there either.
About 15 years ago there was one in the C & R Section of the Bushkill all summer, everytime I saw it it was feeding in the head of a pool on sub-surface stuff.

I lost one once at my feet while fishing Hay Creek. It was a great Turkey Day. I was in the middle of nowhere and I saw this honker golden thing. He took an egg pattern.

Back