Going from Browns to Brooks, Any tips?

J

juicenuggets

I fish valley creek primarily and have not ventured very far out of chester county to fish, but I am planning a trip to go up north in search of brook trout. I was wondering if anyone could help me formulate a game plan for small-stream fishing for brook trout: what size line and flies, types of flies, etc.

Am I right to assume terrestrials in smaller streams where large hatches are unlikely? And maybe someone could entertain me with some experience with brookies that would be beneficial to know?

Also, I strongly prefer dry fly fishing, so i am hoping that you could formulate your responses with that in mind. Thanks in advance!

Its really simple. Though it takes some practice.

Stay low/ dont let the brookies see you.

Throw a hopper.

Catch fish.

Release.

Brookies are not picky by any means. Dont worry so much about fly selection. Hoppers and larger elk hair caddis is all youll need.

Link

In the link I say not to limit yourself with flies. I agree with this but you can make it much more simple like I stated and you will have success.

Most brookies, in my opinion, are opportunistic feeders, so anything buggy you put in front of them will often yield a strike. Fish an attractor/stimulator, maybe with a dropper, if you want to cover both surface and underneath. Terrestrials should work as well. Size 3 or 4 weight line and rod would be sufficient, although you could fish a 5 too if you have it. This time of year, with low and clear water, a stealthy approach is more important, but going back to my opportunistic feeder assertion, you can be conspicuous and still catch fish. I've caught brookies where the fly is lying at my feet, and the little fellers hook themselves, because they're just too curious and have to keep taking jabs at it. Check the water temps too; where in the earlier season, I generally find brookies spread out through pools and riffles, this time of year, they're likely stacked in the pools, which afford a little more cover and protection from predators.

Any size line will do 3 or 4x tippet is fine keep your leader short like 6-7 ft and any dry fly that floats and you can see will work. I like a size 14 royal wulff. Terrestrials will work fine as well. Brook trout are pretty easy just fish upstream and move slow so you dont scare the fish and you should catch about 50 a day.

I agree Sal. I have caught more than my fair share of brookies with stimulators.

if you are successful at valley i don't think brookie fishing will be much of a change in tactics.

Pay very careful attention to the weather. Brookie streams get very low in the summer and the fishing is much better and more fun when there is some flow in the creeks. When it rains and the flows come up, that's the time to go.

As someone mentioned these small streams can warm up too, so use a thermometer. I've seen streams that support brook trout go as high as 80F.

Back