Glade Squires

H

Harley

So, I just picked up a June/July copy of Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide, and was reading the southeastern PA and Delaware section.

I won't quote the entire piece, but speaking of Glade Squires becoming president of the Commission. "his avowed mission is to completely do away with all special regulations areas and downgrade any class"A" wild trout streams so that they can be temporarily filed with stockers."

Is this for real? Or is it just a writer being sensational?
I did a quick search here and found nothing.

Why would anybody think this is a good idea?

def NOT a good idea, and I have no idea who this is, but he sounds like a douche that needs flushed.

nothing like erasing decades of work and conservation.

hopefully this is all a joke, if not, it's a tragedy in the making.

Don't know him or his views but a little GoogleFu reveals he seems to be fond of fish rodeos and the solution to stocking shortages is more coop nurseries.

He's on the commission now, and is up for commission president as far as I can tell.

Is it a joke? Seems kinda hard to believe that someone on the commission would think like that. I guess that's why I asked in the first place.

His eight-year term expires 9/27/2018. Are these guys usually reappointed?

With a name like Glade Squires I would expect him to immediately assign a gilly and riverkeeper to every stream.

Just another reason I won't be buying a fishing license from now on.

This guy lives in my neighborhood, and shame on me for never looking into what he is all about. Read this below. Seems like he is about ramrodding proposals without public input.

Further, the decision to allow the commission to ignore the policy of not stocking class A trout streams has given them the power to do as they please in wild trout streams. This is a huge step backwards, IMO. I really am shocked at the conversation in the piece below. Very disappointing as well as alarming.

Mike Topping, president of the Northampton County Federations of Sportsmen’s Clubs, didn’t dispute that. But he said Saucon Park is routinely full of families and children, picnicking and playing. The one thing they can’t do – at least not realistically, given the regulations – is fish, he said.

“I live right there, and I can tell you there are only the same four or five fly-fishermen who ever fish there,” Topping said.

That’s not right, given the “hundreds, if not thousands” of children who live within walking distance, he said. He told Fish & Boat commissioners at their January meeting that if they want more people to fish, and more young people in particular to fish, they should open the stream to bait fishing to make it family-friendly.

One commissioner tried.

Commissioner Glade Squires, of Chester County, suggested the commission stock the creek within the park boundaries with rainbow trout and allow all-tackle fishing for them specifically. The commission could maintain the existing trophy trout rules in regards to brown trout, he said.

Such a change makes sense because Saucon Creek represents “a significant opportunity” to provide fishing in an urban setting for families, he added.

“It was well intentioned, the way it was set aside originally. But we have to look at things smartly,” Squires said.

He recommended the board direct commission Executive Director John Arway to use his authority to stock Class A streams under certain circumstances and put rainbows in Saucon Creek this spring, in time for opening day of trout season.

Commissioner Ed Mascharka, of Erie County, seconded the proposal.

That gave some other board members cause for concern, however.

Commissioner Len Lichvar, of Somerset County, said he wouldn’t be “comfortable making that recommendation now based on what I know, personally.”

Commissioner Warren Elliott, of Franklin County, said he believes the commission has the authority to stock the stream if it so chose. He even supports the idea for the reasons Squires outlined, he said.

But he also “urged caution” about moving too fast. He suggested the commission take time to get public feedback on the idea.

That’s something Commissioner Bill Sabatose, of Elk County, said he’d like to get, too.

“I think we need to get the public to say something,” Sabatose said.

Squires asked if the commission had any obligation to seek out public comment.

The answer is not necessarily. The commission could adopt a temporary regulation to allow for all-tackle fishing, said Laurie Shepler, chief counsel for the agency. But that would be a break from precedent, she added.

“Typically you’ve not done that, where the public’s attitude it not known,” Shepler said.

Corey Britcher, chief of the commission’s law enforcement bureau, brought up another issue. Allowing all-tackle fishing for rainbow trout in the same section of stream where people targeting brown trout had to abide by trophy-trout rules “would create an enforcement nightmare,” he said.

“I would ask you to proceed with caution with that,” he said.

In the end, commissioners directed staff to examine “all possible alternatives” for the stream section within Saucon Park and come back with a recommendation in time for their next meeting, set for March.

If the board chooses to give preliminary approval to any changes then, the agency will likely hold a public meeting in the area of the park later in spring, before the issue would come up for a final vote in July, said Arway.

That means the earliest any changes would go into effect would likely be 2017, he said.

Link to source: http://www.outdoornews.com/January-2016/Commissioners-want-Saucon-Ck-change/index.php?fb_comment_id=987101424719522_1035749853188012#f15411a681ade04

Yikes! This sounds like bad news. The minute you start to foresake the fish in the name of increased participation, you're asking for trouble.

Six-Gun wrote:
Yikes! This sounds like bad news. The minute you start to foresake the fish in the name of increased participation, you're asking for trouble.

^ very well put! Agreed.

This is very disheartening. We need to take the time to make our voices heard to the PFBC. His whole concept as it has been reported just doesn't make any sense.

From what I've heard he is not a friend of TU, special regulations, or even wild trout for that matter. I don't even see how someone with this "outlook" on PA fishing can take this position.

More of a politician than a fishing and fish advocate. I've been around him enough not to like his outlook and vibe.

This really is unfortunate, largely because due to the Commission's funding and longer term liabilites, they are more vulnerable to suggestions of this type from individual Commissioners. They are, after all, by necessity pushing very very hard to increase revenues through license sales. Given this, it becomes ever more difficult to fend off these sorts of proposals, which are framed as ways to make fishing more inclusive.

The Commissioners themselves have always (in my memory at least) been a mixed bag in terms of their receptiveness to what I guess could be called the C&R/TU/wild trout way of managing our cold water fisheries. As regional representatives of the angling public, they get their ears bent constantly by folks who see things otherwise. To their credit, much more often than not, they leave the decisions at this level up to Fisheries Staff, which for the most part has been (with a little pressure-induced pragmatism here and there..) been pro-wild trout for as long as I can remember. So, a lot of the more goofy or potentially harmful proposals have died on the vine as a result.

But the heat appears to be really on now...

My view is that the best way we can ensure that our voices are heard as well as help the Commission stay on a more biologically rather than socially oriented course is to raise holy H on these issues as individuals. Repeatedly, make a nuisance of ourselves with everyone in a position of authority or influence so they know how we feel. To me, this means going beyond the Commissioners and engaging elected officials at the state and local levels. This is particularly true, IMO, when we are advocating for ways for the Commission to secure the funding it needs. If the Commission needs a piece of the state sales tax from the sale of fishing equipment, we should be badgering our state representatives unceasingly to make it happen. Or whatever else they may need within reason.

The key to a future for the PFBC where a forward-looking balance between managing our fisheries as a resource and managing them as a commodity can be maintained is to do everything we know how to help lower the fiscal gun that is currently at their heads. In that sense, it isn't up to the work-a-day folks who staff the Commission or even the Commissioners themselves. It is up to us..

If you couldn't tell from the name that Glade Squires was a you can tell from the actions. In this case the cover accurately describes the book.

This really is unfortunate, largely because due to the Commission's funding and longer term liabilites, they are more vulnerable to suggestions of this type from individual Commissioners. They are, after all, by necessity pushing very very hard to increase revenues through license sales. Given this, it becomes ever more difficult to fend off these sorts of proposals, which are framed as ways to make fishing more inclusive. The Commissioners themselves have always (in my memory at least) been a mixed bag in terms of their receptiveness to what I guess could be called the C&R/TU/wild trout way of managing our cold water fisheries. As regional representatives of the angling public, they get their ears bent constantly by folks who see things otherwise. To their credit, much more often than not, they leave the decisions at this level up to Fisheries Staff, which for the most part has been (with a little pressure-induced pragmatism here and there..) been pro-wild trout for as long as I can remember. So, a lot of the more goofy or potentially harmful proposals have died on the vine as a result. But the heat appears to be really on now... My view is that the best way we can ensure that our voices are heard as well as help the Commission stay on a more biologically rather than socially oriented course is to raise holy H on these issues as individuals. Repeatedly, make a nuisance of ourselves with everyone in a position of authority or influence so they know how we feel. To me, this means going beyond the Commissioners and engaging elected officials at the state and local levels. This is particularly true, IMO, when we are advocating for ways for the Commission to secure the funding it needs. If the Commission needs a piece of the state sales tax from the sale of fishing equipment, we should be badgering our state representatives unceasingly to make it happen. Or whatever else they may need within reason. The key to a future for the PFBC where a forward-looking balance between managing our fisheries as a resource and managing them as a commodity can be maintained is to do everything we know how to help lower the fiscal gun that is currently at their heads. In that sense, it isn't up to the work-a-day folks who staff the Commission or even the Commissioners themselves. It is up to us..

Best post on this thread

With a name like that he fishes all private water if he fishes at all. Likely an elitist blue blood type who acts like he is taking up the cause of the commoner only to really be in it for $ and power.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
With a name like that he fishes all private water if he fishes at all. Likely an elitist blue blood type who acts like he is taking up the cause of the commoner only to really be in it for $ and power.

My thoughts exactly. I think anyone who willing to politic to that level and ignore the biological implications of what they seek to do can't be trusted.

Oh, and now for the obligatory quiz: wild or stocked? :p

squires_steelx500.jpg

http://www.fishandboat.com/comm8.htm

I see a cutthroat

I hope that's not a cutthroat! He's wearing a PA fishing license (unless PA started stocking cutts).

Rainbow with a lip wound that's being held by a politician, so it was probably just rotting in his hands.

Back