Getting any snow or rain?

flybop

flybop

With less than 2 weeks to go for my trip back to Pa and to Penns, I was wondering how much snow is around. It looks like another storm is due to hit, but the weather guessers are all over the place on their predictions.

It has been cold and windy here, too windy to make fishing fun, over 20 mph sustained. If the wind stops I'll have to head over to Depuy's for some open water.

Just started snowing hree and its supposed to continue thru sunday...2 hours to the east/NE in State college they are forecast to get 3 or 4 more than we are. All the snow is gone from last week because it rained cats and dogs and the creeks are really up. If it stays cold (up there) they may come down in time for your visit.

Here's accuweather for State College for the next 15 Days

And the radar. You decide.

Thanks for the update. I have been watching the wx and stream flows for a week or so. Penns has settled in at around 200 cfs, subject to change. That's a good flow for winter fishing. Anything less than 300 and it is easy to get around, closer to 500 and you may take a very cold dunking.

As long as I can safely get accross at the end of Weikert road I will be happy.

Flybop,

Good luck with your trip to Penns. Let us all know how you make out.

How did the fish fare this summer with the heat in the Yellowstone area? Was it a decent season? This is the first year in a while that I didn't get out-west fishing. You mentioned Depuy's - I'd love to cast a line in Depuy's or Armstrong's in the winter.

Hi afishinado. I grew up in chester county, near new london. I have many days on elk creek.

August was hot and dry. The fast snow melt left us with low flows early on. The best thing to happen though was the mandatory closure of many rivers by 2 in the afternoon. As it turned out, the fishing was great in the morning ( as you would expect) and by 2 the fishing was too bad to be on the river anyway. It forced the clients to get up early and get to the river at daylight.

The high water temps did not last that long on the Stone though. What kept most rivers closed was the low flow rates and the fear that once opened they would need to be shut down again.

The spring creeks fish amazingly well throughout the winter. I have my winter pass on Depuy's so I can go just about any time. There are times that you can just have an amazing number of fish in the winter. You should try it, either late fall or early spring. The weather is too hard to predict in the winter. If you get a bad few days weather wise there is no way to fish. But, that is what chico is for.

Here is pic from Depuy's last wnter. It was 20 below when I took this shot. This is looking across the pond towards Betty's house. Hope this works.

depuyslakeicedtrees.jpg

if the pic does not show, just copy and paste

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/donmontana/depuyslakeicedtrees.jpg

we are getting hammered right now, plus we have 7" already

In Lewistown (30 minutes for Coburn) we got very little, especially when considering they were calling for 10" over night. We got about 1/10". It's snowing now, but very hard.

Greensburg...raining, very windy 40 degrees..kids are pissed...wife is happy.

Back