Get the lead out & felt fine

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Poll on lead and felt. Multiple responses allowed (one for lead and one for felt)

I voted for 3 out of 4 and may switch to a lead alternative, but for now the only lead I use is wire and a few dumbbell eyes and can't see a viable replacement for the very thin wire. The dumbbells I would replace in heartbeat, I just don't know that they make tin dumbbells.

Boyer

I voted to use lead for as long as possible, but I do use tung as much as possible. Price is just a little much though.

No suitable replacements for lead or felt IMO.

The felt sole is an issue for me. I used to own Rubber Soled wading shoes and liked them very much. However as I have had more issues with my leg I find that felt offers much more stability for me when wading. It gets better each year and I may switch back but it is a touch choice.

MattBoyer wrote:
The dumbbells I would replace in heartbeat, I just don't know that they make tin dumbbells.

Brass is available, I know I've bought them at Cabela's in the past.

I could probably be sold on replacing lead, I'd certainly go with spending a bit more if I could get wire that was as dense as lead,without being a thick as tin.

I own felt boots, I will replace with felt boots. If I goto streams known to have issues, I will either use old boots (my current pair should be retired) or clean them. I'm an oaf. I'm very uncoordinated. I want the grippiest thing we can come up with. If there were boots with monkys in scuba gear taped to the bottom who'd hold the bottom and shuffle me around based on barked commands from me their fully bipedal master with an opposed thumb i'd be rocking out in those because i have no doubts htey would be the most awesomenessmest boot around because monkeys hell yeah and because they'd be gripping onto stuff like itwas bananas and bananas man are like monkey crack monkey boots voltron go.

I seriously need to buy a new pair of boots, now.

It's a tough survey.

I do use alternative weighting material on flies much of the time and will be more conscious about it in the future. But I still use lead shot most of the time.

I also plan to try a felt alternative for wading boots. Might try studded rubber soles. rubber alone is just not safe in some of the places I fish. I need more grip. Since you can safely use felt soles with no increased danger of transporting nasties than you get with using a net. maybe I'll just keep the felt for steelhead.

I could, but I don’t want to check all 4 because I don’t think it was the intent. What will be learned by it?

I should have selected the lead alternative one too, because I do use alternatives where possible. When it comes to shot and wire, I have no found a suitable substitute.

Dear afish,

Unlike Dave I have no problem voting for all four choices because I do use both lead and felt and will continue to use them for as long as I can.

What exactly are we supposed to with the leftover lead anyway, build containment vessels for home generated nuclear waste? You can't in good conscience throw the stuff away.

In the mean time I have plenty of tungsten beads and use studded Aquastealth boots. I had truly hoped the Aquastealth would be a better cloice when I bought them about 6 or 7 years ago but as time goes by they seem to have become an even less viable source of sure footed wading traction than they were initially.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Seldom use weight at all, so it's not much of an issue for me..Converted to Rubber because of the invassive problem-including mudsnails- which can survive in felt for weeks at a time..In addition, I find felts to be heavy out of the water, offering an almost cloddish performance factor when wet or packed with snow.

It would be a shame if PA would be the last state to do the right thing here.

Voted for all 4. I use lead in some flies, but also use brass beads and such. As for shot, I'm not real picky, I use some tin, some lead, etc.

For felt soles, I wear felt soles. I'd like to get a pair of decent rubber soles as soon as they enter a reasonable price range, though. At that point felt isn't done for me, but the rubber gives me a good alternative for streams known to contain didymo, as well as for trips that have more hiking than wading.

Tim

Did they even have Aquastealth 7 years ago? I don't think so..You may have plain old rubber studded, take a look, it could be part of the problem for you..The Aquastealths grip extremly well for me and I havent even studded my pair.

I will probably use lead until I'm forced to change. As for wading boots, once my need replaced, I'll probably go with studded rubber soles but they're only a year old so I don't see that change happening for a little while.

Mixed and matched.

how thick are the rubber lugs-a box of aluminum square head screws and goop should solve the slipping and sliding.

Dear sundrunk,

I have a pair of LL Bean boots with carbide studded soles made by the Five Ten Company that I am almost certain were purchased in the Spring of 2005 making them 6 years old. The sole material is identical to the material pictured with the addition of studs.

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4315-aquastealth-kit-xl

The material was actually invented in the mid to late 1980's for use on rock climbing gear, and Five Ten holds the patents for it.

http://fiveten.com/contact-us/history-blog/4309-history

It's been around for a while, of that I am certain.

Regards,

Well answering "yes" to all four questions is the same as not participating in the poll since one answer voids the other. I should have asked something like "I use or plan to use ONLY lead alternatives and rubber soles."

I was just trying to get an handle on how many guys feel that lead and felt were an environmental issues.

The felt soles are not really the issue. the real issue, is that we can't legislate stupidity or enforce intelligence.

Are they environmental issues? Yes.

Are there good alternatives? Sometimes, but not always.

Soles: Newer rubbers too expensive. Traction decent for some streams, not sufficient for others. Older rubbers traction is not sufficient just about anywhere, and I choose my own safety first.

Lead: Tungsten, IMO, is a worse environmental choice overall, though the damage is done in other countries instead of at home. Other alternatives such as brass beads, tin shot, etc. are fine for some things and I'll use them for those things, but not dense enough or malleable enough for some applications.

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear sundrunk,

I have a pair of LL Bean boots with carbide studded soles made by the Five Ten Company that I am almost certain were purchased in the Spring of 2005 making them 6 years old. The sole material is identical to the material pictured with the addition of studs.

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4315-aquastealth-kit-xl

The material was actually invented in the mid to late 1980's for use on rock climbing gear, and Five Ten holds the patents for it.

http://fiveten.com/contact-us/history-blog/4309-history

It's been around for a while, of that I am certain.

Regards,

Tim,

Orvis is discounting the "Aqua-stealth" type wading boot soles for much more aggressive rubber soles with studs called Eco-Trax. Many guys seem to like them. Cough up some cash and buy a pair...;-)

Attachments

• Aqua steath.jpg
    Aqua steath.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1
  • EcoTrax.jpg
    EcoTrax.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2
Back