Funny Experience

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So my neighbor and I were doing a little warm water fishing this past weekend on Deer Creek here in MD. The weekend before, the smallmouth finally started looking up, so we headed out on Sunday morning. I was maybe about 30 yards from my buddy, and landed a 9 inch rock bass. It was the biggest I had seen, with beautiful black tipped fins. It didn't just roll over and play dead like most rock bass...it actually headed to the bottom of the hole and fought a little bit.

Just as I turned to by muddy to show him, there was a spin fisherman on the bank - tennis shoes, jeans, and no shirt standing there. I said "Larry, it's a rock bass - the biggest one I've caught here." Then the guy says "I've caught 'em about 16 inches in here."

Then - you guessed it - he proceeds to cast his soft plastic trick worm (or whatever it's called) into the pool right between us. He makes about 10 casts, then leaves.

We fished for another 45 minutes or so, and as the swimmers start to show up, we get ready to leave. As I am walking up the bank to my car, I find a freshly opened empty Rapala box. I took it with me, of course. Couldn't help but just shake my head.

Then on the way home, we stopped at another spot and ran into another fly fisherman. He asks if we are having any luck, then proceeds to walk downstream about 50 yards to get set up. You know what they say, most stereotypes are based in truth!

How did you fish while perched up on your cross?

with a fly rod . . duh

See the Penns Creek thread. All flavors of #censor# in all segments of this sport.

Ive had more run ins with fly fisherman then I ever have with spin fisherman. Many, many, many more.

So how close do you want them to be if 50 yards downstream is too close? Next state over maybe.....

I really would like to know how many of us Flyfisherpeople provide Flyfishing courtesy as part of instructions when we teach the art?

Did you just stereotype yourself???? think about it!!!

So Steve, what do you have against fishing in genes and tennis shoes? ;-)

I'm really surprised by some of the responses - I (unsuccessfully apparently) tried to illustrate the fact that he left trash on the bank. How many others on this board have commented on trash that they pick up left buy other fisherman. I suppose the nature of fly fishing is that we do not generate trash.

I was a spin fisherman for years, like many on this board, but I NEVER left trash on the bank - never. If that makes me an elitist fly fisherman, then I'm guilty as charged.

Pennypack, I think you misunderstood my comment - I thought 50 yards well more than courteous. The guy that stepped in between me and my buddy was NOT being courteous.

Steve, the problem is that you wrote it as an attack on a persons appearance as well as fishing technique which in my opinion is wrong.

To make a log story short, the gear or the clothing does not make the angler.

FarmerDave wrote:

To make a log story short, the gear or the clothing does not make the angler.
While this is true most of the time, the person described in the OP sounds like the type of person who doesn't have any interest in doing things the right way (poorly clothed/no boots), and this more than likely applies to his fishing ethics, or lack there of. jmo

wildtrout2 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

To make a long story short, the gear or the clothing does not make the angler.
While this is true most of the time, the person described in the OP sounds like the type of person who doesn't have any interest in doing things the right way (poorly clothed/no boots), and this more than likely applies to his fishing ethics, or lack there of. jmo

Doing things the right way? OK, I might agree with that based on actual observed actions, comments made, cutting in... but then you decided to get specific and zero in on appearance and turned it into a load of crap.

Check out this #censor#. If he were holding a rock bass and a cheap spinning rod instead of a smallmouth and cheap fly rod, would you think differently of him?

I often wet wade, and it sounds to me like the OP didn't actually observe the guy littering. He only saw the angler and the litter and assumed they were once attached.

So allow me to change my earlier response. The gear [color=006633]and the clothing[/color] does not make the angler.

Attachments

• angler.JPG
    angler.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 4
BelAir:
Your final comment is part of the paragraph that talked about the 50 yards guy. I felt that you were also complaining about that person. The first person you have the right to be upset about as well as the litterbuggers. But even then 30 yards = 90 feet, and he only casted 10 times before he left. (I'd let it go) If you are already picking up trash where/when you fish my hats off to ya. God only knows what the ratio is between those that litter and those that pick up.

Also when someone leaves multiple questions/comments in a post we (the viewers) have the right to challenge those we want to challenge.

WildTrout:
can you tell the fake beggars from those who are actually in need?

As I asked before:
I really would like to know how many of us Flyfisherpeople provide Flyfishing courtesy as part of instructions when we teach the art? Before you answer this - give me some titles of books that address this issue.....

Nice bass FarmerDave -
But your clothing has got to go - never mind I don't want to see you in the nude.

those were my favorite swimming shorts, and I have no idea what happened to them. But I assure you that I did not leave them along a stream.;-)

However, I still have that vest and I think I still have the shirt.

FD, you'll note the very last thing I said was "imo", which with an open mind, is no different than what you have to say about the situation. Just saying.

It looks like J M O I don't see an I.

I see many people fishing with bright pink, red, or yellow, shirts why would you wear that fishing? Is it the spanish fly look? also I see alot of fly fisherman wet wading with there fanny packs on. There's no doubt Joe Dirt and Johnny Buttnut both fly fish and spin fish and forever seem like they will clash when close to each other.

wildtrout2 wrote:
FD, you'll note the very last thing I said was "imo", which with an open mind, is no different than what you have to say about the situation. Just saying.

Let us be clear. I saw that (It was actually JMO), and we all are COMPLETELY entitled to your opinion regardless if it is ignorant or not. But nobody ever said that opinions are unquestionable.

And I noticed you did not answer my question, or the one from PPFLyer.

Hook_Jaw wrote:

I see many people fishing with bright pink, red, or yellow, shirts why would you wear that fishing? Is it the spanish fly look? also I see alot of fly fisherman wet wading with there fanny packs on. There's no doubt Joe Dirt and Johnny Buttnut both fly fish and spin fish and forever seem like they will clash when close to each other.

That's some funny stuff right there.

IMO of course.

Back