"I know quite a lot about this sport, but I'm just no good at it"

^^^^^^^ I could say the same, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowF_DYXjNc

Attachments

• vgckmjp2igz21.jpg
    vgckmjp2igz21.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 8
Looks like Santa Claus

He was on the Sunday Today show with Willie Geist. Nice interview streamside, and in the stream fishing, too!

You can tell he doesn't know what he is doing by the way he holds the rod and line.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fishing hat to buy.

That isn't it.

I don't remember back then ever sitting and doing a slow burn listening to Dave like I do now listening to this new batch of snowflake, agenda driven late night hosts. Like a lot of NFL fans it's too tedious to let them have my time.

Ah, well, knowing on the bone of the good old days................

Does not surprise me that he is not good at fly fishing. He does not do it enough and like a lot of other people he has no connection to the natural world. You can be rich but you "can't buy the last 40 feet" Kudos for trying.

yeah he's holding the rod and line all wrong and he has no connection to the natural world, whatever that means, yet his rod is bent. He is enjoying fly fishing his way. You go Dave.

I don't think the fish give a rats about who's holding the rod wrong etc. His hat is not important as well,imo. The rod is bent and the tug is the drug. GG

We all "fished wrong" in our lives. I still do.GG

Still don't understand why some are so quick and harsh to judge those who are new/inexperienced with the sport..we all started somewhere and many of us still haven't mastered every technique. If he's enjoying himself and catching fish...so be it and let him be.

It's almost a great photo shot to share! Unfortunately the fly rod pulls you out of the picture leaving us to wonder. I would have off centered him to the left a little and maybe bring the fish into view.

poopdeck wrote:
yeah he's holding the rod and line all wrong and he has no connection to the natural world, whatever that means, yet his rod is bent. He is enjoying fly fishing his way. You go Dave.
Good post. You're spot on. If he's having fun, then he's doing everything right.

I hope nobody see's me fishing and snaps a photo... I"m sure I'm doing lots of things ''wrong'' all day long !!

^ same here. Never had a lesson, never went with a guide and I don't know anybody that thinks they know what they are doing with a fly rod. I inherited fly fishing stuff and started using it. I don't care if I'm doing it wrong and I don't strive to do it right by the definition of others. Much like a ten year old I get far more enjoyment from it by not worrying about what I'm doing wrong or how I can do it better. To many other important life things to stress out over so I'm not heaping my pastimes onto the pile. Ignorance is truly bliss for Dave and I and I aim to keep it that way.

What''s wrong with doing things well? Why spend all that big$ on the fancy duds and rods like you guys all yak about and then not at least explore their proper use?

Who cares what celebrities do anyway? I don't give a darn about the so called famous flyfishermen either. The most interesting and best flyfishermen are guys you never heard of.

Nothing wrong with doing things well. I think I'm deadly with a fly rod and I don't spend big bucks on fly fishing gear or duds. Me and Dave fly fish for the enjoyment of it not because we want to be known as great fly fishermen deserving of the highest pedestal. I always say, if anybody gets up at my funeral and talks about my love or my greatness of fishing then I failed in life. Dave feels the same way I'm sure. Just enjoy the useless light hearted banter this thread was intended to create.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
We all "fished wrong" in our lives. I still do.GG

True. ;-)

But seriously, IMO there is no wrong way.

That's not completely true FD.

Back