Fly fishing the Adirondacks - St. Regis Wilderness

junglemike

junglemike

Hey folks,

I'm getting married this summer and we decided to rent a cabin on Lake Clear right near Saranac in the Adirondacks for our honeymoon (early July). Since I'm a lucky guy, my soon to be is totally into me fishing almost every day while we are up there. So, I was wondering if anyone has any must hit places up there. We are planning on having kayaks so we can explore all the great ponds. Any ideas, hints, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks!

-Michael

Ausable River,#1 trout stream in New York. GG

July is iffy for the Ausable. Have to watch the water temps and flows. Ponds on the other hand are plentiful. Only problem is you have to do your research as to which ones are open to the public. A guide might come in handy. Check out the Hungry Trout Fly shop or Two Fly shop in Wilmington NY.

ausablerivertwoflyshop.com/ Ask for Brookie

hungrytrout.com/ Ask for Rachel

Can't go wrong with either of them.

I assume your staying at one of the lodges on lake clear? most of those ponds/lakes have plenty of fish, ya just have to find them. I camp at fish creek pond right down the road and kayak those ponds, lots of smallies with the occasional brook trout thrown in. the ponds are a blast to explore, lots of little islands to take a break, have lunch and explore around, then paddle to another and another and another!
if your into hiking, may I suggest a short but kinda hard hike that affords an awesome view? go the the adirondack mountain club, just down the road from lake placid, ya have to pay a small fee to park, but the grounds are very nice and there are some facilities there to check out. anyways, do the hike up Mt Jo, fantastic 360 views from the summit. it's only about 1.5 miles, but it goes straight up!, my girlfriend wanted to kill me with every step, but once at the top, was SOOO glad she did it. pack a lunch and enjoy the summit for a while.
lots of small brookie streams all around the adirondacks as well.
the entire area is a beautiful wilderness area, it's nice to know that much land is protected and will forever remain that way.

Talk to Jones Outfitters in Lake Placid. Chris the owner is great as well as his entire staff. I have used their guides before and had great experiences. www.lakeplacidflyguys.com

Thanks for the great info everyone!

We are still looking for a nice little cabin along some water if anyone has any leads... thanks.

SPend the time with your bride, you've got the rest of your life to go fishing.

Or teach your new wife how to flyfish with you so you can do it together when you are up there.

Go over to lake placid, ride the gondola up whiteface, ride the elevator Up the ski jump towers, adirondack museum in blue mountain lake is an award winner.

+1 on the adirondack museum, been there many times, never get tired of visiting. something there for everyone, all in a beautiful location. allow most of a day if you go.
another good stop is camp sagamore, the vanderbuilt summer getaway. http://greatcampsagamore.org/
just so much to see and do up there, really a fantastic area.

Last week of June/first week of July is the Hex hatch on Lake Placid; likewise the ponds in the St. Regis/Fish Creek Ponds area. Even though the hatch comes off right after dark, do not be without some Hex nymph imitations during the day as well, for all species. Fish Hex nymphs and you will do very well. Shops will have them.

Jones Outfitters (Orvis) on Main St. LP is a good source for info/gear.

Rent a canoe inside Rollins Pond campground, right at the put-in for Whey Pond and fish Whey Pond with your wife. Excellent Hex hatch. No motors on Whey, it's super quiet, a couple campsites. Skip the Ausable in July and go on the ponds in the evening. But bring longsleeve, tightly knit nylon shirts for the skeetos, and pants.

Skip the museum, it's too pricey; stay outdoors and invest that money in your accomodations. Take the gondola up Whiteface. Breakfast at Saranac's Blue Moon Cafe for great buckwheat pancakes. I second the climb up Mount Jo if you like hiking. If you really like hiking and have some experience and if the weather is bluebird, climb Algonquin Peak, a 4.5 mile one way to this 5115ft peak. Afterwards, Ubu Ale at Lake Placid Brewing Co. Lobster at the Adirondack Steak and Seafood Co. on Main St.

Be careful renting a "honeymoon" cabin since the owners idea of a quaint honeymoon cabin may not be your wife's idea; there will be mice, probably small shower stall, neighboring cabins too close. Get clear info and pics and check TripAdvisor. Go to adkforum.com and ask about great cabins near Placid. Or try adkhighpeaks forum for the same insight. Don't go cheap, there are no do-overs! You'll find something, there are great places. Don't go cheap. Hope you have perfect weather.

Oh, I'll definitely be spending time with the wife. What's great about her is that while I fish, she sits on the bank and draws. It's a great thing to be able to enjoy the same things in different ways.

Thanks again for all the information! I think we found a nice, modern cabin right along the Ausable that'll afford us the fishing/drawing opportunities we want and get us close enough to do some great hikes (Mt. Jo it is!), kayaking, and eat some good eats.

Happy holidays to yinz.

although i'm intrested in adirondack fishing as well.. i'll just add this congradulations !!!!and best wishes... wish you a lifetime of happiness together!...sounds like your off to a great start!

Back