Fly Fishing Clinic

troutfanatic

troutfanatic

Hi folks.

I have been away for a bit. Midterms and Army retirement prep has been kicking my behind.

I thought I'd post this thread for general interest. I mentioned this in my first post here several months ago and some other members mentioned they participated in similar programs. At least one other forum member reached out to me about how our program operates. I have no issues sharing that if it benefits bringing more (hopefully ethical) people into the sport.

Our clinic is ran by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. They have several outdoor education centers across the state. This one is the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center in Fayetteville, NC. The facility was once a fully functioning fish hatchery, but it is now converted to a training facility. The facility has a small staff of paid state employees, but most of the fly fishing instructors are volunteers. The facility conducts classes in a wide variety of fishing activities, not just fly fishing. We have fly tying and rod building classes as well. Being that Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base is nearby, the facility hosts a local Project Healing Waters Chapter. Many military participants go on to join PHWFF.

Each year in Early December, a truckload of trout is brought from WNC to Fayetteville. We have to wait until temps are suitable for trout. The fish acclimate and adjust to their surroundings through the holidays and we start clinics right after the new year begins. Typically we host two public clinics in January and two more in February. Then we transition to special clinics for Boy Scouts attempting to earn a merit badge in fly fishing. There are occasional special clinics held, like this weekend we did one for the Environmental Science Department at Methodist University. We have one later this year specifically for women.

A typical clinic is a little over six hours long. I consists of a lecture, demonstrations and then a hands on casting clinic. After lunch, the students go to one of two hatchery ponds and try their luck on some trout. We specifically teach the Joan Wulff casting method to ensure all volunteers are on the same standards of performance. We begin with a roll cast and transition to an overhead cast with ample time for students to refine their cast as instructors provide assistance.

A few photos from recent clinics:

DSCN0198_zps0331e0e5.jpg

Jeanette delivers a great lecture. She has been with the program for several years. She holds a women's world record for saltwater fly fishing.

DSCN0196_zpsebb43334.jpg

Students work with the bottom section of a rod to learn proper grip and how to apply the power snap during a cast.

DSCN0208_zps30b5b530.jpg

Students move to the water to practice with a full rod. there are "Hula Hoops" suspended in the pond, which serve as targets.

The process repeats for the full overhead cast.

DSCN0217_zps9b29d121.jpg

After lunch the students try out the trout. This lady caught her first. Addicted for life?

DSCN0212_zpsea5ccabf.jpg

At this clinic, I had a family of four. The daughter had never fished before and was throwing bombs after only an hour of instruction. Mother and son had some prior experience and caught plenty of fish that afternoon.

DSCN0226_zps9fdc7672.jpg

Having access to such a facility has its perks. Here, little Miss Troutfanatette, roll casted a neversink caddis to some rising trout and brought it in all on her own. She's a good kid. I think she's ready for the bluelines this year and the barbie spincast rod has long since made its way to the recycle bin.

Cheers

Brian

Are you trying to attach them directly from your computer, or are you using a host site such as Photobucket??

photobucket via the picture toolbar on here.

Try copying and pasting the IMG code.....but change the to lowercase [img]. Also get rid of that URL stuff. So change in the brackets you should just have [img] No need to mess with the photo thing

OR

Copy the Direct link and use that with the photo feature when posting. (Photobucket will give you the option to copy links for: Email & IM, Direct, HTML, IMG)

Yeah, I was using the wrong format. I think I got it right now.

DSCN0198_zps0331e0e5.jpg

DSCN0196_zpsebb43334.jpg

DSCN0208_zps30b5b530.jpg

DSCN0212_zpsea5ccabf.jpg

DSCN0217_zps9b29d121.jpg

DSCN0227_zps9bb5fe8f.jpg

Paigebow_zps0c252082.jpg

Good stuff!!

Back