Fly Box Sneak Peek III (NE Saltwater)

F

Fishidiot

Basic collection of flies for the northeast coastline - stripers, blues, weakies, fluke etc. Clouser Minnows are my basic go-to pattern so I keep a bunch more in a compartment box but this is what I usually carry for a day kayaking Barnegat Bay or walking the surf and jetties. The big, orange flies on the side with wire bite tippet are for bluefish. While I rarely use crab flies up north (love 'em for FL), I like to have a couple as stripers do look for them on occasion. Sand eels, anchovies, large bunker, and poppers round out the arsenal.

Attachments

• Salt FlyBox.jpg
    Salt FlyBox.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 8
That is a very realistic looking crab pattern.

Used a crab pattern in FLA I never did have any luck with it. Too small of a sample size- can't wait to try again.

Thanks for the peek... After my next paycheck, I'm gonna head out to a fly shop and try and pick up some of the stuff I'll need to tie some of these up, and we'll see what we can come up with.

I guess, in the end, it really is just that simple to tie a salt water fly.

Except the crabs, I looked up instructions.. heh.

Clousers in the salt are the same as a san juan worm in the fresh...

Spyder20oz wrote:
Clousers in the salt are the same as a san juan worm in the fresh...

Your posts on this site are the same as an infected boil that needs to be lanced...

Oddly enough, I've never successfully caught a fish with a SJ worm... But i've caught a number of trout on Clousers, which is actually one of my favourite patterns to tie and to admire.

The beginning of the season I, as well as many people I fished with, were nailing trout with SJW's. Couldn't keep enough of them in my box. Blood red, wine red, burnt orange, and pink. Didn't matter what color.

Maybe Spider was saying that a clouser in the salt can catch just about anything, as a SJW can in fresh.

Ryan

check into the platinum series
great stripping fly for fish feeding on mullet types

Back