Fishing this weekend

W

wsender

So is anyone going fishing this weekend? I was thinking about hitting the Salmon River this weekend depending upon conditions and such. If not there, maybe the Delaware.

Post it up if you're planning on hitting the water.

Kids goto a birffday party on Saturday, and then to her parents' house Sunday.

Unless I'm too cold to care, I'll be standing waist deep in a spring creek.

My plan was to hit the Spring Creek, but due to the cold and me getting a bamboo rod i have to christen (sp?), I will be hitting the Tully and my favorite native stream, maybe both days.

I just got back from fishing and if the wife allows me to go fishing 3 days in a row, I will go tomorrow. Not on a spring creek though.

The thought crossed my mind, went to check spots at the LL on the way home from work, but was too dark to see under the water. Did get a temp of about 45 by the hatchery at around 5 pm. I've got some stuff to do this weekend and rap up shopping want to get out and give winter fishing and my zebra midges a try.
LRSABecker, how is the Lehigh this time of year?

Sender,
I hear SR is fishing pretty well right now. Delaware is different story. Besides, I thought you were in PA for the break?

Gfen, surely you mean a local spring creek, not THE Spring Creek. I mean that is more than 5 minutes from where you live. LOL.

I have no kids this weekend, thus my incentive to fish is low. However, if wife is mobile Sunday and going to pick up the kids, I may get out.

Brandon, to be honest I have no Idea. I have never fished this late into the season. Since this whole fly fishing stuff took over my life at least. It seems to be flowing really good though right now so I would be kinda sketchy jumping into that current.

jdaddy wrote:
Sender,
I hear SR is fishing pretty well right now. Delaware is different story. Besides, I thought you were in PA for the break?

Gfen, surely you mean a local spring creek, not THE Spring Creek. I mean that is more than 5 minutes from where you live. LOL.

I have no kids this weekend, thus my incentive to fish is low. However, if wife is mobile Sunday and going to pick up the kids, I may get out.

I was suppose to leave for PA tomorrow, but my car is still in the shop and it's suppose to be done Monday. So I didn't want to drive down Saturday, drive back to NY Sunday, then back to PA Monday.

I'm going to try the lower fly tomorrow. I haven't fished there before to I'm excited to try it out.

well, right now, the way it looks, my odds of hitting a stream are kinda low. I was going to hit Cabelas and get some last minute shopping done and pick up a few things...maybe a new rod and reel...not sure though. I did get a few decorations hooked up last night, saved some time there. Today seems like it is going to be a sprint all day, tomorrow, with the snow, will probably be dead. Good for midge hatches anyway, only question is how much snow.

Got most shopping done for christmas, can't think of anything else to get. Most of decorations are up outside, need to finish the tree. Apparently now there isn't much if any snow coming now, I did hear at the Cabelas fly shop there is a storm in the Sierras that might come out way next week for a white christmas though. Might try to get out tomorrow, my casting sucks right now, practiced a bit ago, and might go for round two in a bit. Haven't cast a line in months.

Funny, I did the last of my shopping today at Cabelas. I also was parked behind a vehicle with a sticker that matches you avatar thing, "Dont tread on me" Think it was a black pickup. Anyway, I hit the fly shop and got some hooks, but I need more so i will have to make a trip to Cabelas again or TCO. Probably TCO, that gives me a reason to stop at the stream and fish for a little.

Cope wrote:
Funny, I did the last of my shopping today at Cabelas. I also was parked behind a vehicle with a sticker that matches you avatar thing, "Dont tread on me" ...

The "Tea party" adopted it as their flag: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125184586

That wasn't me, I have a blue ranger. It was insane there yesterday. People just standing in the isle looking lost, stopping in front of you, a guy at the checkout was severly trying my patience by blocking the whole lane seeing which register would open up first...suprised he didn't hear me grumbling.

How did you all make out if you went fishing? I went for a scout walk at the LL to find some winter lies for fishing, but forgot my midges at home...I was a little preturbed at myself for that. I did get some practice casting in, the st. croix rod was giving me problems, I even cleaned the line, not really old. I then decided to try something, got the helios and was casting well at like 60ft or so, now the new rod bug to replace my low ball starter rod has come and bit me again. Should have bought the lst at cabelas saturday...

BrandonMH wrote:
The thought crossed my mind, went to check spots at the LL on the way home from work, but was too dark to see under the water. Did get a temp of about 45 by the hatchery at around 5 pm. I've got some stuff to do this weekend and rap up shopping want to get out and give winter fishing and my zebra midges a try.

I don't think too many anglers brave the Lehigh in winter. Perhaps during a prolonged warm spell and lower flow. Its hard enough to wade in warmer conditions, let alone icy winter conditions. Its been about a 1000cfs release from FEW recently making it unwadeable anyway. There are other nearby options though.

RyanR wrote:
BrandonMH wrote:

I don't think too many anglers brave the Lehigh in winter. Perhaps during a prolonged warm spell and lower flow. Its hard enough to wade in warmer conditions, let alone icy winter conditions. Its been about a 1000cfs release from FEW recently making it unwadeable anyway. There are other nearby options though.

I fished it last winter on a day in the 40s with lower flows and did quite well nymph fishing two small black buggers on the bottom!

I will say though if you plan on fishing the big river in winter it really helps if you know the area you plan on fishing really well. Taking a buddy along for safety purposes is a good idea as well. For me this is kinda tuff being that I dont have many friends lol!

Alpa, you want to fish the river one day this winter and the flows are somewhat normal. I would go with ya. Actually, Thats goes for anyone on the board. You get a high 30's day no wind and nice flow, I will fish it.

LRSABecker wrote:
Alpa, you want to fish the river one day this winter and the flows are somewhat normal. I would go with ya. Actually, Thats goes for anyone on the board. You get a high 30's day no wind and nice flow, I will fish it.

I'm there as well. I'm sure its fished, just meant that compared to other area winter options I don't think too many head to the Lehigh mid-winter.

RyanR wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:

I'm there as well. I'm sure its fished, just meant that compared to other area winter options I don't think too many head to the Lehigh mid-winter.

I agree, I have not seen one fisherman on the Lehigh at "The Main Spots" since it has actually got cold. But if I see the flow brought down and it's a nice day I will be fishing it.

Back