Fishing at Deer Camp

S

Sekora

I am fortunate enough to be able to spend the entire rifle deer season at my camp in Benezette. I will be there from the day after Thanksgiving until the season closes. This year I was thinking about packing my rod and a few flies and try to get a few brookies. What are your go to flies in small native streams this time of year? My fall/winter fishing is usually for steelhead or stocked fish

If it's warm enough out they may still hit the usual attractor dries like Adams, Wulffs, EHC's etc. I've caught Brookies on warmish days well into December on dries.

A safer and more consistent bet though probably is to fish a small (like size 12 or 14) weighted Bugger or a buggy looking weighted attractor nymph. Prince with rubberlegs comes to mind.

A small Muskrat Nymph or Hare's Ear Nymph ought to do the trick.

Interestingly, John Arway, Ex. Dir. of the PFBC, mentioned in a talk he gave that he spent much of his time at deer camp last year fishing because there were nearly no deer to hunt!

I've toyed with the idea of quitting hunting, still going to camp for the traditional rifle season to be with family and friends and carry on that tradition, but take fishing gear instead.

Of course, my camp is within striking distance of the Erie tribs, so that'd probably be my focus. I'd likely avoid most wild streams at this time of year due to spawning, but there are a few local streams that receive fall stockings.

PC,

Though still actively spawning, the trout around here are starting to wind down. By deer season, 85 or 90% of the spawning ought to be over, and I don't think you'd be hurting anything by fishing then. But, if you're near the Erie tribs and you get some rain, maybe that would be fun for you.

I don't know if you're an old guy like me (I'm almost 66), but I really do resent that the game commission has ruined what was once an exciting time on public land by exterminating the deer herd there. The only places around here that have realistically huntable numbers of deer are private, posted lands where the landowners have limited the kill.

Anyhow, if you decide to fish, good luck.

rrt wrote:
A small Muskrat Nymph or Hare's Ear Nymph ought to do the trick.

Interestingly, John Arway, Ex. Dir. of the PFBC, mentioned in a talk he gave that he spent much of his time at deer camp last year fishing because there were nearly no deer to hunt!

Funny, I used to go steelhead fishing the first day of buck, but this year I am considering buck hunting because there are no steelhead to catch...

rrt,

Yes, I'm aware of the spawning situation. Our cabin is near Tionesta, for what it's worth, and we hunt National Forest or sometimes just outside of it. Lots of brookie streams around, and on hunting excursions, it's common to walk down to the streams and have a gander at some spawning brookies. Yeah, they're winding down, but still happening.

I've steelhead fished using the cabin as a base camp a number of times. Bout an hour (a little less to the east side tribs, a little more to the west side tribs). Just never did it in deer season. Well, once I did, as I was hunting the whole week and took everything just in case, and killed a buck Tuesday morning so Wed-Sat was all fishing. But with kids, I don't get that kinda time anymore.

I'm 35, soon to be 36. Not old, but getting there. I'm at that point where I can still do everything I used to, but unlike before, I feel it afterwards. I still like to hunt. I used to do bow, small game, turkey, the works, plus fish 50-100 times per year. But now I have 2 kids, we both work, with long commutes, and we're 5 hrs away from the nearest family which can help. So now I'm lucky if I fish a dozen days per year and hunt 2 (rifle season only). Between hunting and fishing, if I'm forced to choose one or the other, fishing is gonna win, and I just might be at that decision point. My oldest is 3 and fishing will be realistic before hunting, so there's that too, though I do want him to have some hunting heritage as well. Part of that is the desire to "be like daddy" as he grows up, so that's one motivation to keep an interest in hunting.

As for the deer herd, I agree, but it's ever so slowly improving in the last 3-5 years. "The slaughter" was all the way back in 2003, I believe. Hate the idea that I took part, but I did. We had 8 guys in camp and killed 16 doe in one day. Took em about a decade to admit that the deer herd did not drop from high 20's to 10-15 deer per forested square mile as they intended and kept reporting, but rather fell to 1-2 deer per forested square mile. I haven't seen an estimate, and all but guarantee we're still below 10, but it's more than 1-2.

From 2007-2010, our camp had 5 guys hunting an average of 3 days in rifle season. That's around 60 man-days of hunting. Grand total combined deer sighted was 10. And several were duplicates. We saw 12 bear in that time for comparison, and 40+ coyotes (killing a half dozen or so). I had one deer season (2008 I think) with 20ish inches of only semi-fresh snow on the ground, scouted 3 days and hunted 3, and saw a grand total of 3 deer tracks. And I hunted several different areas, figuring I'd eventually find some yarded up or something, but no dice. We did kill a buck in camp, I tracked one of the larger tracks for 5 or 6 hrs and ended up pushing it past my brother, a medium 8 pt, but 1 out of 5 is pretty bad anyway you cut it. The bow hunting was much more successful, but that takes place downstate, where the herd wasn't decimated.

That was the lowest of the low. Now, we're not back to 20's and 30's per man per day, but 5-10 is pretty typical. Out of 5 in camp we expect to kill 2 bucks, with 1 and 3 as both reasonably likely possibilities. It's a toss up on whether there are more coyote or deer now, and I haven't been able to say that for quite a while. Still more coyote tracks, but you see more deer (since coyotes are nocturnal and all).

We deer hunted and fished every year at deer camp in the Stevens point area. We had a Brookie stream that ran straight through the property about 30 yards behind the cabin. We would hunt the morning come back for lunch and fishing then go back to hunting late afternoon. I didn't fly fish then but my dad did all I can remember is we, and I assume he, used the same old same old. The brookies were always vey cooperative. I gave up hunting 30 years ago since I really dislike venison and I don't care to shoot for antlers.

As for fishing while at deer camp, get the deer then fish all you want, but harvest on trout streams is limited to streams that are in the extended season and special regulations streams.
I'm 66 and I don't even consider that i'm old, I've slowed down a bit and don't try to drive myself hard when on a stream. I hiked along a stream last week for 6 miles and didn't see a fish.

Well, Chaz, I'm almost 66, and I've slowed down more than a bit. I don't drive myself hard either and figure that 2 miles of fishing and then a 2-mile walk back to my truck is about all I want to do in a day any more. 6 miles is more than I'd want to cover, and I even play basketball a couple days a week to try to stay in shape. Good for you!

My family use to own a hunting camp in lower Clinton County. A few years back we realized we use it more for fishing then hunting. Now we have a fishing camp. Some of my family still hunts. I stopped making the trips from Michigan when I stopped seeing any deer. I would rather take the time off and fish with my brothers and Nephews in the Spring. Better weather and more action. Even when streams are blown out from rain we can find fish.

I was in Benezette last weekend and actually fished all day sunday. It was warmer than normal (mid 50s and sun) and I had awesome success with size 12 orange stimulators.

Message me if youre interested in more info

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna give it a try on the days the state tells me I can't hunt. The streams always look so good this time of year I always regret not bringing my rod.

They only time I have luck at deer camp anymore is if I have my fly rod. Deer hunting around here has gotten pathetic , the only reason I still go is to spend time with family and friends. As for flies I will carry my normal flies and keep swapping out until I get lucky but I always start with A #14 bead head hot spot prince nymph.

Olive HE, BH princes and San juans have all worked for me in the past. As far as late fall/winter, the BH Princes were the best bet. (All size 14)

Thanks for all the info again guys. I will be giving it a try this season even if only for a short day. We have no complaints with the deer hunting in our mountains. We hunt hard for them but always find some bucks. Hopefully I find a few fish this season too.

pcray1231 wrote:

As for the deer herd, I agree, but it's ever so slowly improving in the last 3-5 years.

I just wanted to make a quick comment. We hunted the first 2 days of bear season this past week. Saturday we hunted ANF north of Tionesta near Blue Jay creek. We saw 1 deer all day. It was a nice size 6 point. Monday, we hunted out near Johnstown at SGL 42 and didnt see a single deer.

Its crazy (to me) how sparse the deer populations seem to be on public land still. I can remember hunting with my old man when I was little and seeing deer everywhere.

I hunt deer on my families property in 2B and it seems like there are deer everywhere.

Still seems like "the slaughter" didnt do much for areas that have the actual deer problems.

My wife and I drove about 30 miles through the Susquehannock and Tioga SF's today. We saw exactly one red squirrel and a grouse. Around our cabin deer and turkey are plentiful, and just a while ago there was a mamma bear and three cubs in the yard. I don't hunt but I enjoy seeing the wildlife.

nine buck here and lots of doe this year. 5 bear to, no one has got one yet. had a 10 point last night in field

I'm at our cabin this AM, the Sunday before opening day of rifle deer season. Just breaking day and some bands of rain are still moving through as I hear it drumming on the cabin roof. With the forecast calling for chance of AM showers and overcast conditions for a good part of the day, I'm definitely going to be spending a few hours trout fishing today. Planning on hitting one of my favorite small mountain steams that I didn't get a chance to fish at all this season. The little bit rain yesterday and this morning should make conditions good. Looking forward to fishing today probably more than the deer hunt tomorrow.

Back